Weekly road tax to monthly

St3fan[NL]

I struggled with the Road Tax system when it was first proposed. I didn't like the idea of a weekly non-means-tested tax as I believed that it would penalise the casual player. I even made a thread about it. However after seeing it implemented and watching the high end cars disappear practically overnight, I had to agree that it was a good and fair system.

Arguing that Road Tax doesn't exist is semantics. Rename it to Insurance or Repayment or Layaway or whatever. It's performing the job it was created to do. And it's doing it very well. I don't think it should change.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Pan Grama said:

I struggled with the Road Tax system when it was first proposed. I didn't like the idea of a weekly non-means-tested tax as I believed that it would penalise the casual player. I even made a thread about it. However after seeing it implemented and watching the high end cars disappear practically overnight, I had to agree that it was a good and fair system.

Arguing that Road Tax doesn't exist is semantics. Rename it to Insurance or Repayment or Layaway or whatever. It's performing the job it was created to do. And it's doing it very well. I don't think it should change.

No it isn't. I can name you 15 people right off the bat that own high end performance vehicles when they shouldn't and don't actively pay taxes on them. The system is broken, people don't care about road tax, they don't pay it anyway, and the LSPD don't seem to mind it as of late. I don't blame them, because 60% of people use the excuse of having no road tax paid to evade so I can only assume PD's fed up with them. The road tax in the USA doesn't exist, and seeing as we're aiming for heavy roleplay and realism, which the majority of the GTA:W systems are, it only makes sense to remove the road tax and replace it with something else. Insurance and registration, for example. I don't know why I'm paying $50 for a high end performance sedan in insurance when I'd be paying much much more.

There's many better ways to actually tax vehicles, such as registration expiry and high insurance rates, but road tax definitely isn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, Pan Grama said:

I agree, system needs to stay. Now at least the people who drive around in fancy cars can actually afford them on a day to day basis.

1 hour ago, JustAnM43 said:

I can name you 15 people right off the bat that own high end performance vehicles when they shouldn't and don't actively pay taxes on them. The system is broken, people don't care about road tax, they don't pay it anyway, and the LSPD don't seem to mind it as of late.

If that's true, then that's a problem that needs to be fixed. Seems like a mix of OOC and IC, though. If a character can't explain why they own the car then it's OOC and admin need to be involved. If they're simply not paying the road tax then that's actually OK as it's an IC issue and the LSPD need to deal with it.

Maybe paying the tax should be the passive action instead. The tax/insurance/repayment is automatically paid, once per week, unless you actively stop it, once per week, with a command. Any stopped payments are flagged and get reviewed OOCly to determine whether the character should be driving the vehicle. I understand that it's extra work for admin/LSPD but the system needs to work in order for it to be effective .

I hate to be a Buzz Killington when it comes to this kind of thing, but OOC Driving is my biggest hate in GTA:W right now. It's killing the whole experience for me and making me not want to play.