Los Santos Insider | Interview: Meet The Democratic Party City Council Candidates

EOtivmh.png

Tw6wGew.png

Interview: Meet The Democratic Party City Council Candidates

Written by Gabriel Stone 30/01/24

While the GOP were keen to present their candidates for city council at the kick-off event last Tuesday, the public have yet to hear the voices of their Democrat opposition. I was able to meet with both Sophie Wu, who is aiming for the Western District as well as Olivia Zhao who is aiming for election in the Central District. Unfortunately, David Wu, aiming for election in the Northern District, was unavailable for an interview at the time. Sophie Wu's opposition in the Western District is Daniel Park, an independent candidate, while her husband David Wu is facing a Republican candidate in the battle for the Northern District. Zhao, however, faced with Republican candidate Garrett Baker for the Central District.

KpnOFTR.png

Stone: So Mrs. Wu you've been an active member of the community in the Western District for some time. Last I caught up with you was shortly after Operation Long Reach and your arrest. I know at the time you had dreams of running for Senate. Why is it you've put yourself forwards for the position of councilwoman?

Wu: Well I think going for the Senate may have taken me out of the community and I came to realize, I'm still needed here. So city council would be the best opportunity. I can help the district in a more hands on manner.

Stone: And why is it you feel that you specifically are a suitable candidate for the position? What are you hoping to bring to the district, should you be elected?

Wu: Well...  I'm well known in the area, most of the locals know me or know of me. I've always been a voice for their concerns throughout the years. I think— I know, I can bring real change to this community, make it flourish and thrive. It always has but they need a loud voice. Fortunately, I'm very loud.

Stone: What do you feel separates you from the Republican candidates?

Wu: I don't feel that Republican interests suit the area and the people living here. Infact, I'd go as far to say that their interests actively work against the locals of the Western district. It needs care and love, fairness and equality for all citizens.

Stone: What is it you feel the Western district needs more specifically and why? I'm thinking back on past events.

Wu: Protection against police brutality and profiling, would be my main concern. You witnessed it first hand a while ago. We also need criminal reformation and rehabilitation. There's nothing here to prevent people falling back into crime, low job opportunities and poor housing.

Stone: Thank you Mrs. Wu. Are there any closing words you'd like to say?

Wu: Hm...Let us start a new chapter in history, a new Western district, for the better.

Stone: Thank you, Mrs. Wu...

CRdHQUK.jpeg

Stone: Miss Zhao, it's nice to have you here tonight.

Zhao: Thank you so much for being here, Gabriel. I wouldn't miss it.

Stone: Miss Zhao you're running for the Central District, I've got to start us off by asking... why the Central District?

Zhao: Well, Gabe— I grew up there. Right near Mission Row. I have a deep connection to the neighbourhood, a place I've called home. This place is close to me but has also had its fair share of challenges. Economic disparities are evident. I've seen first-hand how issues like limited access... To education, affordable housing, and adequate housing impact our residents. The neighbourhoods diversity, while also our strength, also brings complexities when it comes to these issues. And frankly, I haven't ever seen anyone in the area taking care of our large community. I want to be that change.

Stone: And if you were elected councilwoman of the district, these are the issues you'd be aiming to improve?

Zhao: Yes, exactly. I am a candidate deeply committed to creating a fair and forward-thinking society. I want to help make a difference for those who are under-privileged and haven't been able to receive the support they deserve.

Stone: And what would you say separates you from your Republican opposition?

Zhao: I really emphasize tackling social inequalities, racial justice, and poverty through government intervention and support. However, I also believe my stances blend the traditional party lines. I believe in realism. We need government intervention, however— People deserve to keep their liberties, as well. I believe in a multifaceted approach that—

We faced a small interruption by a homeless man that Mrs. Wu offered food at the Night Market.

Zhao: Anyways, in the realm of social welfare, I believe in the value of social safety nets. But I also emphasize the importance of efficient resource allocation. I believe we can support our constituents while also making our city prosperous. I think one of the key critiques of many democrats are the dreams they inhabit. I want to take those dreams and make them a reality. We can be fiscally responsible and also empathetic at once.

Stone: Thank you Miss Zhao, and lastly in closing what would you like to say to the voters of the central district?

Zhao: Central District— I understand the issues that matter most to you— From ensuring access to the supports you need, promoting fair and equal justice. I am not here as a partisan; I am here as your advocate. For too long… We've been left on our own. Together we can create a district that is fair, prosperous, and sustainable. A place where all of our voices are heard, and our well-beings are prioritized. Thank you for considering me as your representative. Olivia Zhao for Central District!

Stone: Thank you,  Miss Zhao.

Zhao: Thank you so much, Gabriel.

Hwn1Il3.giffhUa09m.pnghUEtsz0.pngmMDjFBO.png

Comments Are: ENABLED

Username:

Comment:

Edited by Degu
  • Upvote 5
  • Applaud 2