Taxi Revamp

Detailed Description

After many months of promise, surely 2024 will be the year the taxi job gets a revision, with the new phone update, and new UI, it is only right that the taxi job gets an update. There are a quite a few suggestions that I believe will benefit the taxi job within the server and I am sure other taxi roleplayers would agree and welcome some if not, all the proposed suggestions.

1. As a taxi app to phones, in which people can request a cab, but make it so they can see the GPS of the taxi driver.
  2. Add a cooldown to requesting a taxi - recently people have been spamming the taxi request - which is great as it allows other drivers to also bid for the job but when in a roleplay situation, it spams the chat.
  3. Adding onto point 2, remove the bidding for jobs/requests, in the new taxi application, put drivers in a queue, that way it is fair.
  4. The taxi fare, great - but the UI needs a refresh.
  5. Could there also be changes to allow /bpay inside of a taxi. There have been many times where I've roleplayed getting a card reader to take card payment, but then I am having to supply the company routing number.

• Could there be (like bus stops) dedicated taxi rank spots dotted around the map, for example by Rockford Mall, Legion Square, etc and can we get a blip put on the map for these taxi ranks.
  • Would there also be a way to /carsign our vehicles as I know some people like to roleplay private hire taxi, so having the ability to display or identify that vehicle is a private hire vehicle would be beneficial. - only allowing company vehicles to have this sign attached.
  • Could there also be server rules compiled in terms of adding restrictions on the types of cars that are used for 'taxiing'. I've never requested a taxi and had a two door sports car rock up.

Relevant Commands/Items

N/A - Command suggestions above are already in-game.

How will it benefit the server?

It would benefit the taxi job script with a much needed refreshment. In particular for those (like me) who are serious roleplayers running a taxi business.

• Upvote 3

/bpay in taxi cabs desperately needs to be added, because I am so tired of these two scenarios constantly playing out over and over again:

A) The customer is unaware that I can't /bpay, and we have to sit in awkward silence until I realize they're confused and have to point out in /b that they'll have to /transfer

B) The customer does a /transfer but puts my ID and and the cash amount in the wrong places, and accidentally sends as much as several hundred to a random player

Scenario B is especially frustrating, and it happens all the time. I usually let it slide because I don't want to make them waste money, but that amounts to lost fare for me.

The fare meter also needs to be fixed, because it very frequently stops working in the middle of a drive for seemingly no apparent reason. This leaves me with two bad options: I either leave it where it is and effectively make the rest of the trip free, or I reset the meter and thus lose out on the fare I should have already made.

For this reason I used to simply avoid using the fare and charge people by distance, at a rate of roughly 100/mile, which amounted to less than I'd usually charge with the fare meter (my go-to is 10/5). However, I've had people complain about this, or even warn me that an admin might punish me for not using the in-game fare meter, so to play it safe I've reverted to the meter - but holy shit do I hate it.

Another addition I'd like to see: inform the customer of how far away the cab is at the time that the driver accepts their call. Sometimes I have to drive a long distance to pick up a customer, and often the customer will just cancel and/or call another cab when I'm 70% of the way there. If the script said "your driver is 2.5 miles away", they might be more patient. (On that note, PSA: if you're calling a cab in Paleto, your driver is probably going to need ten minutes to get there from the city. Please do not get mad at me in PMs because I wasn't there in five)

• Upvote 1

Hey,

I also had a few ideas about the taxi job in the past. I agree with this suggestion, the job really needs a proper revamp. Adding an app similar to the bus app for both drivers and passengers would be awesome.

My additional suggestions:

1) Let's say a passenger requests a ride in the new app. The driver has to send an offer to the passenger first. In this offer, the passenger will be able to see the driver's vehicle, his price (either a fixed price for all city trips for example, or the current fare) and maybe how far away he is, or what district he is in (if it's possible). The passenger can either accept or deny this offer. If he denies it, his request will automatically go to the next driver in the queue unless there is nobody else on taxi duty. If the passenger accepts it, he'll be able to track the driver on a map in the new app (like we can track incoming buses). A proper queue system is needed, I don't want to spam the same command like a maniac anymore.

2) Allow taxi drivers to use a fixed price instead of using the fare if they wish. For example, 250$ for city trips, etc. Also, make sure there is a limit so some people don't ask for 8000$. The fare also needs a limit. Some drivers charge 3$ and others 90$/5 seconds. Add a realistic cap to this, if possible.

3) And finally, make a list of approved 4-door realistic vehicles that will be allowed for this job and in the taxi app. We're currently stuck with the regular taxis. I understand some people might abuse it but it can hopefully be prevented with a script and proper server rules. I just want to use a cool looking hybrid car. Maybe make it a requirement to have the taxi license in your inventory before you use your own personal vehicle in the app, or something like that.

A little idea on how to prevent abuse of normal vehicles: Add a list of approved vehicles for the taxi script. Then, players will be allowed to register their own car as a taxi in the DMV, if it's on said list. Once they do that, they'll be able to use their vehicle for the job. To register it, you'll need a valid driver's license and a taxi license on your person. The script then gives your vehicle a new plate that'll end with T, for example, "ABC123T". So other drivers, players, law enforcement, and everyone else on the server see that this vehicle is a taxi and not just another vehicle.

8 hours ago, Rudewolff. said:

Hey,

I also had a few ideas about the taxi job in the past. I agree with this suggestion, the job really needs a proper revamp. Adding an app similar to the bus app for both drivers and passengers would be awesome.

My additional suggestions:

1) Let's say a passenger requests a ride in the new app. The driver has to send an offer to the passenger first. In this offer, the passenger will be able to see the driver's vehicle, his price (either a fixed price for all city trips for example, or the current fare) and maybe how far away he is, or what district he is in (if it's possible). The passenger can either accept or deny this offer. If he denies it, his request will automatically go to the next driver in the queue unless there is nobody else on taxi duty. If the passenger accepts it, he'll be able to track the driver on a map in the new app (like we can track incoming buses). A proper queue system is needed, I don't want to spam the same command like a maniac anymore.

2) Allow taxi drivers to use a fixed price instead of using the fare if they wish. For example, 250$ for city trips, etc. Also, make sure there is a limit so some people don't ask for 8000$. The fare also needs a limit. Some drivers charge 3$ and others 90$/5 seconds. Add a realistic cap to this, if possible.

3) And finally, make a list of approved 4-door realistic vehicles that will be allowed for this job and in the taxi app. We're currently stuck with the regular taxis. I understand some people might abuse it but it can hopefully be prevented with a script and proper server rules. I just want to use a cool looking hybrid car. Maybe make it a requirement to have the taxi license in your inventory before you use your own personal vehicle in the app, or something like that.

A little idea on how to prevent abuse of normal vehicles: Add a list of approved vehicles for the taxi script. Then, players will be allowed to register their own car as a taxi in the DMV, if it's on said list. Once they do that, they'll be able to use their vehicle for the job. To register it, you'll need a valid driver's license and a taxi license on your person. The script then gives your vehicle a new plate that'll end with T, for example, "ABC123T". So other drivers, players, law enforcement, and everyone else on the server see that this vehicle is a taxi and not just another vehicle.

Completely agree with this. Even better, scrap Downtown Cab Co, get GTA W Government to manage taxi licences such as applying for licences.