[GUIDE] Playing on 'hard' mode.

Hello reader.

This guide will be written around a way of playing I came up with once before. It's playing a character on 'hard mode'. Now, you might be wondering what I mean with hard mode.

In this guide I will take you through the steps of creating a character that will have a hard time both socializing and making money. A true 'grind' through roleplay, rather than scripts.

If this does not seem like something you would be in to then I suggest you stop reading right now. If you are intrigued then keep on reading.

I will lay out some prerequisites and rules for this 'challenge'. These are not your Bible and shouldn't be followed by the letter, but it's a good baseline to steady the flow of gameplay.

Let's start off with some basic rules:

1. Make a character with a rough background. Maybe a refugee or an illegal immigrant? Dishonourably discharged soldier or a homeless 18-year old, set out onto the world by their parents out of spite. These are just some ideas. You can come up with your own, but keep it grounded in reality.
  2. No scripting. That means no fishing for money (unless you do it through a company) or using the trucker job (unless you own your own truck, or work for a company). These are examples. Scripted jobs, like stores do not apply, since they encourage RP.
  3. (OPTIONAL) No driver's license. This depends on your background. If you are an illegal immigrant then you wouldn't be able to get a driver's license, since you lack the paperwork in the first place.
  4. (OPTIONAL) No airport lease. Realistically, if you were to play as an illegal immigrant (example) then you wouldn't be able to get a lease for a vehicle.
  5. (SEMI-OPTIONAL) You have no passive income from the server. Your starting 200K does not exist, nor does the unemployment check. This applies for characters that are not supposed to be in the country. You can apply this rule to any idea, as long as it makes sense. Use your common sense on this. To get rid of all the money you earn through the script, use /charity.

These are some rules I came up with for my own playthrough. You can change these, or decide not to follow some of them, or even add your own. The beauty of RP is that it's your own story and your own narrative. Play how you like. It's a good baseline to follow, though.

Next up: character idea's.

I already hinted at some possible ideas you can use for yourself. I will add onto these ideas, explaining the rationale behind each of them. Let's dig in.

The Illegal Immigrant

You're fresh off the boat, having spent your life savings to get to the land of dreams and second chances. There can be many reasons for why you left your own country in the first place. Maybe you want to make it big in America? Or maybe you aren't welcome anymore where you originate from. This archetype is a blank canvas, but has the most restrictions put in place.

The illegal immigrant has the following traits:

• No bank account.
  • No passive income. The cash you have on hand is the money you will have until you earn more.
  • No driver's license, no ID.
  • (OPTIONAL) A poor understanding of the English language.
  • No vehicle to use from the start. Can get a vehicle through other means.
  • (OPTIONAL) Ragged clothes, rugged appearance. Emphasis on 'fresh off the boat'.
  • No contract phones. Only PAYG phones are available to this character. (OPTIONAL) Keep the phone cheap and simple. It wouldn't make sense for you to have a very new phone (unless you stole it).

You can RP whatever prior schooling your character has had and which country they came from. That's all up to you.

The Refugee

You're from a country where it isn't going so well. You fled to America and have been granted asylum. You had to leave everything behind and lost everything that had meaning to you. Or maybe not? Maybe you left your family behind and came to America to earn from overseas, granting your loved ones back home a better life. You're in a strange country. This archetype is also a blank canvas and has less restrictions than the illegal immigrant.

The refugee has the following traits:

• A bank account.
  • Limited government grants. The first four 5K checks are yours to keep. After that, you're on your own.
  • Can apply for a driver's license. Has an ID with refugee status.
  • (OPTIONAL) A poor understanding of the English language.
  • Can lease a vehicle at the start. The lease will be over within a month. (Until insurance runs out).
  • (OPTIONAL) Ragged clothes, rugged appearances. Not every refugee looks the same. No flashy clothes, though.
  • Any felony committed results in deportation. This means that your character comes to an end.

You can RP wherever you come from and whatever prior schooling your character has had. Do keep in mind that there are continuity rules that still apply. Play responsibly and follow the rules.

The Dishonourable Veteran

From a young age you have always wanted to serve your country. You enlisted at the first chance and tried your best, but things just didn't work out. You made some mistakes, leaving you penniless. Uncle Sam does not have to pay you for your service after what you have done. This archetype is easier to play and can have it's backstory altered however you wish. Do keep the traits in mind, though.

The dishonourable veteran has the following traits:

• A bank account (with no money).
  • No government grants. No unemployment benefits. Only the cash on hand is what you have for now.
  • Can apply for a driver's license. Has an ID.
  • Felony status. Most states in the US consider a dishonourable military discharge a felony conviction.
  • Can not lease a vehicle, due to their felony status.
  • (OPTIONAL) Drug addiction or alcohol addiction from the start.
  • (OPTIONAL) Any vice applies. Could tie in to why you were discharged.

The Fleeing Felon

You're on the run from the law. Whatever you did and whether or not you did it, the law wants you. This archetype is arguably the riskier one to play, since any mistake can land you in jail or have you extradited.

The fleeing felon has the following traits:

• A bank account. All assets are frozen, though. This means that you can not use your bank account, leaving it at 0 at all times.
  • No government grants. You're a felon. The cash you have is what will get you started and keep you going.
  • Can apply for a driver's license. Probably already has one. Has an ID.
  • Felony status. Make sure to let the LEO players know that your character is a felon from the start so they can RP it accordingly.
  • Can not lease a vehicle, since they are a felon.
  • (OPTIONAL) Criminally inclined. You can try your hand at joining a faction from the start if you want to or commit crimes to stay afloat.
  • Unemployed. You can not work anywhere, since no one would want you. You're more likely to get reported if you apply for a job.

The Disgraced Son/Daughter

You never truly saw eye-to-eye with your parents. And when the day came that you turned 18, your gift was being kicked to the curb. You decided to move to Los Santos, spending whatever money you had. A fresh start in a new place with many chances. This archetype is a more casual way to play, but still has rules that should be followed for the best experience.

The disgraced son/daughter has the following traits:

• A bank account. Your first 5000 dollars is the only money you will get. From then on you're expected to /charity earned money away.
  • No government grants, unless you are actively looking for work. Once you find a job, the 500 dollars are expected to be /charity'd away.
  • Can apply for a driver's license. Has an ID.
  • (OPTIONAL) Criminal status. You might have committed a crime in the past. You might have been a problem child.
  • (OPTIONAL) Addict. Perhaps your parents kicked you out for drug abuse.
  • Can lease a vehicle until insurance runs out.
  • Homeless. You have been kicked to the curb with only the clothes on your back. You can get a motel room once you have a job.

These are just a few idea's I came up with and played personally. It's a fun time and could be made more fun if it was scripted. Alas, that's not the case, so following these rules is the only thing we can do.

I hope you enjoyed reading this rather short guide as much as I enjoyed writing it. Feel free to add your own concepts down below, if you feel inclined too. I might add them to the list.

Anyway. Thanks for reading and have fun!

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

This is amazing, never even considered the idea of roleplaying an illegal immigrant without any benefits. Could make it EVEN harder by speaking very little English, and relying on local communities of people who speak your language to progress and learn.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...