[The Poppy] Fortuna Favours The Brave

uNjudFF.png
uTfbJUn.png

Fortuna Favours The Brave
Elizabeth Rankin

"It's been ten years since the Chernobyl accident, crazy how time flies by. Am I the ONLY one that's dissapointed? We haven't seen any superheroes yet!"

Nestled away on Vespucci Boulevard lives a different kind of nightlife for Los Santos. Somewhere different from the masses of bars and nightclubs lives Fortuna, and we witnessed their inaugural comedy night.

Admittedly, the jokes weren't exactly 'family friendly', but in a crowded bar in Little Seoul, that didn't matter to the patrons, who stood clapping and yelling after every joke - no matter how offensive - or perhaps, inoffensive they were. Despite that, the bar was a breath of fresh air as the city continues to cycle through it's seeming obsession with short-lived nightclubs.

The bar at Fortuna was relatively cheap and entry was free - there wasn't any security on the door but IDs were checked at the bar, the space was relatively cramped, having to push through groups of people to get to the bar, but this helped create a casual, laid-back culture where you could just throw back a beer or two and listen to some comedy or karaoke - if you're feeling brave, you're more than welcome to jump up on stage and see if you're destined for Vinewood.

Fortuna, which is normally a karaoke bar, is owned by husband-and-white duo David and Sophie Wu, a duo that is well-known for their businesses throughout Little Seoul and for running the local Suey Sing - a Chinese-American association predominantly based in San Andreas. We spoke with Sophie about her business.

LdsoZjK.png
Sophie Wu
Co-Owner of Fortuna

So, tell me about this place, it's comedy night tonight, what other nights or themes or whatever are on the rota?

Well tonight? We're trying something new but usually it's a karaoke bar— People never want to sing! I have to bribe people with free drinks!

One of the unfortunate perceptions that Little Seoul gets is that it's for Koreans or Asians only, what would you say to that?

I'd tell people to look at the statistics, y'know? There's actually more Hispanic people here than Asian. We're very welcoming people, if the culture is respected. I think I'm just lucky to know alot of people around the area. I'm more so filling a niche, I'd say. Not everybody likes the big, loud clubs. We do have a few bars around but they open rarely, the owners get busy.

Give the small places a chance! You might enjoy it.

About Us

The Poppy is an independent news association based in Southern San Andreas, founded in 2022. The Poppy is dedicated to providing a different kind of news - focusing on the people, businesses, organisations and stories you care about, not our corporate sponsors. Because we don't take payments for articles or take adverts to keep our reporting independent, we are reliant on donations to keep our business alive. If you'd like to donate, our routing number is 010031438. If you have a story you'd like us to look into, contact us at p[email protected], or via FaceBrowser.

• Upvote 13
  • Applaud 1