Los Santos Insider | Pillbox Hill Medical Center's Blood Donation Drive at Mountain MMA

mMDjFBO.png

5T7861p.png

Pillbox Hill Medical Center's Blood Donation Drive at Mountain MMA

Written by Shai Griffin, 9/3/2024

5gH84wE.png

(Pictured Above: A line to donate blood to PHMC.) 

One of the most common, seemingly universal fears of most people is being poked with a needle. From children to adolescents to adults, the aversion to being stuck with a sharp object is something that most people can relate to. It's a huge mental hurdle for most people to overcome, often requiring support from the nurse and those around them just to get through it. However, there's one thing that seems to help people, or at least most people, conquer their uneasiness about needles: blood donation. For adults, the idea that their own blood that flows through their veins saving someone else is enough for them to put their fears aside and take the needle. Conversely, for children, it just means that they'll get a treat afterwards. But, the overarching point here is that many people are willing to inconvenience themselves for the possibility of helping someone who may need it.

On Saturday, March 9th at 9:00 PM, Pillbox Hill Medical Center held a blood donation drive at Mountain MMA, allowing anyone who wished to donate their blood for the sake of others to do so. After a a few minutes of opening their doors, plenty of helpful, considerate citizens of the city flowed into the gym and lined up, ready to take the jab to their arm and give up to one pint of their blood for the cause. Many donators seemed eager to do so, evident by the little hesitation to roll up their sleeves and present their bare arms to the nurse who wielded the needle. One by one, needles were carefully and expertly inserted into veins, slowly drawing out blood and storing them into the nearby packets.

SmjOMNx.png

(Pictured Above: Luna Hartley (Left) and Adrian Rivera (Right), two blood donators.)

Adrian Rivera and Luna Hartley were two of the many blood donators tonight, and they kindly accepted to give Los Santos Insider a quick insight on the process of blood donation.

S. Griffin: "Is this both of your first times donating blood?" 

A. Rivera: "Well, it's my first time, yeah. Never done this before."

L. Hartley: "Mmm... I have done it once before, back when I was like... still a teenager."

S. Griffin: "Adrian, how was your first time donating blood? And Luna, was it similar to your last time?"

A. Rivera: "I mean, I'm not really into the needles and all that, so I just wanted it to be over, bro. But yeah, it was pretty cool, the nurse was pretty quick with it."

L. Hartley: "It was... pretty much the same, yup. Maybe a bit more scary the first time."

S. Griffin: "Do you two have any words of advice for people who are on the fence about donating blood?"

A. Rivera: "I mean, I'll say this, man. It's definitely over quicker than you think. So you spend more time worrying about it than actually doing it. Just don't look at the needle."

L. Hartley: "Mmm... just do it? Like, if you're healthy, there's nothing to be afraid of. Besides, your donation can save someone's life."

**END OF INTERVIEW**

After almost everyone who had lined up donated their blood, Hospital President Dr. Bleichroder gave us extra information on the importance of getting your blood drawn. 

dCA89As.png

(Pictured Above: Pillbox Hill Medical Center's Hospital President, Dr. Evelyn Bleichroder. Photo courtesy of Dr. Bleichroder herself.)

S. Griffin: "How long have you been working at the hospital?"

Dr. Bleichroder: "Almost fifteen years." 

S. Griffin: "Dr. Bleichroder, can you explain to me what the importance of donating blood is and why everyone should do it?"

Dr. Bleichroder: "Indeed! Donating blood is important for the mere fact that in the first place; it saves lives, blood is a necessity for critical care in trauma bays within PHMC.. but it's also useful to treat conditions like blood disorders or merely cancer and anemia diagnosis. Other than this, it helps greatly in organ transplants.. surgeries or even in childbirths. As a cardiothoracic surgeon myself, I can vouch for this in first person. I also believe that it is a dear cause and unifies the community in events like this, it helps us to give a good image of the hospital, have people involved, contribute.. and be part of the community. It is very important that every citizen does and more importantly /has/ the possibility to donate blood to sustain medical procedures. And I believe that when you know that your blood helped to save a life, you should feel proud of yourself."

**END OF INTERVIEW**

If there's one thing that should be taken from this article and the blood donation drive, it's that you cannot underestimate the importance of donating blood. It's quick, effortless, free, and could potentially change someone's life for the better. If you have a fear of needles and have been looking for the motivation to overcome it, maybe all you need is the possibility of saving another person's life. 

>>SHAI GRIFFIN FULL GALLERY<<

3eFjN46.jpeg

EFKRk45.png

ifas9EM.png

Pj7ndyD.png

Comments Are: Enabled

Name:

Comment:

Edited by onlydemia
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 1