Los Santos Insider | Beneath the bright lights of Vinewood...

Jai01SJ.gif

image.thumb.png.1590d7c17dda56298b70da3b34ea2437.png

BENEATH THE BRIGHT LIGHTS OF VINEWOOD...

Written by Tamara Kedrova  - Photography by Tamara Kedrova  2/10/24

svQXOvH.png

(Pictured Above: Assyrian Mural)

When I drove through the city on a cold, rainy, February night, I found myself on a quiet street beneath the lights of Vinewood. I came across a small bakery, the only place open on the entire street as the evening ticked on. Eager to get something hot to drink, I stepped inside and was immediately hit by a warm and welcoming glow. The smell of pastry and shisha danced in the air filling the room with a sweet, intoxicating aroma. Cushions and cosy chairs lined the floor and subtle music from a land far away played in the background. I ordered myself a mint tea and was served promptly by a friendly and welcoming lady. I had found Ali’s Eastern Pastries - the heart of a little known community in West Vinewood.

r1wJiA1.png

(Pictured Above: Inside "Ali's Eastern Pastries")

The owner of this bakery is a man named Ali Raja. An immigrant who originally travelled from Iraq, arriving in America some twenty years ago. I asked if I was allowed to take some pictures and he agreed from where he lounged on the floor, puffing away on an apple scented shisha pipe. I learned that Raja hails from humble beginnings and he was eager to tell me about his business, and of the people he shares his home with. What interested me most of all, was his plans to establish an officiated neighbourhood in the Vinewood area - Little Baghdad.
Ali explained that a monthly market is held to celebrate all things Middle Eastern. Food, music, cultural learning as well as raising money for charity. Most recently, a Syrian relief fund. The market also helps to support local businesses, something Ali would have no doubt found invaluable when arriving in Los Santos.
“ A lot of people are forced to group up with their own, stay close to family and blood. It was the same with the Asians who came into this country, same with everyone from the Middle East. I left a war-torn country only to come here and be faced with everything but kindness. But hey, I made it work.”

elSOpV0.png

(Pictured Above:  A community BBQ)

Ali went on to make himself a success story. I asked if treatment towards him had changed over the twenty two years he has lived in the city, after arriving at the age of twenty two.
“Better than it was twenty years ago, for sure. People just stop caring with time, you know? So yeah. It's way better now. I've seen change and it can happen.”
Ali told me about his hopes for the future and the eventual establishment of an officially recognised community and support for this came in the form of David Wu - The son of immigrants himself who missed out on a council spot to Josely Martinez in January.

“He is Asian: he knows the struggles of immigrants, and knows it first-hand. He knows the working man's needs. He actually came around the other day to our BBQ. He likes the community, And we're willing to work out the officialization of our neighborhood with the Democratic Party.”  Whether the Republican Party takes up this movement remains to be seen.

"I want people to know that we're welcoming and that we wish to flourish just like every other community of immigrants in the city. I'm willing to do everything it takes to see it flourish.
We want more people to come and learn about our culture, to step into our businesses and feel at home, this including my bakery. We've had people from all walks of life inside this bakery and they've all enjoyed it."

EOtivmh.png

Have something to add? Leave a comment below!

Comments are: Enabled

Edited by Cudn
layout
  • Upvote 18
  • Applaud 4