How to (role)play a game of pool in GTAW.

onlydemia

I noticed there's not really a solid way to roleplay pool so I decided to draft up a way that makes the most sense. If anybody has some changes or recommendations feel free to add them, I'd love if pool roleplay could become popular. Obviously this is just an idea, if anybody thinks this is too convoluted or maybe even not detailed enough, I'd appreciate some help on how to properly RP this game.

WHAT IS POOL?:

Pool, or pocket billiards, is a game that is played with a large, typically wooden, stick on a (typically) 8 foot table. You use the stick to hit the cue ball into the other balls. There are several different ways to play pool, but the most popular one is played with 16 balls, including the cue ball. Each one of the balls are numbered, obviously from 1 to 15. The balls numbered from 1 to 8 are in solid colors, and 9 to 15 are in stripes.

HOW TO PLAY POOL (IN REAL LIFE):

The goal of the game is to knock all of your balls into the six side pockets, and then finally knocking the black 8 ball into a pocket after all of your colored balls are gone. Whether you have "stripes" or "solids" is dependent on the break. At the beginning of the game, one player is supposed to "break" the balls organized in a triangular shape by shooting the cue ball into the group with the pool stick. Whichever ball gets knocked into the pocket decides what type of ball that player will try to knock into the pockets for the rest of the game. For example, if I were to start the game off by breaking the previously mentioned triangular pattern with the cue ball, and then a SOLID (numbered from one to eight) fell into a pocket, then I would attempt to knock the rest of the SOLIDS into the pockets for the entirety of the game, and my opponent would be attempting to knock in the STRIPES for the entirety of the game. If none of the balls would fall into a pocket on my first break, then my opponent would go next. They would be able to aim for any ball they want (besides the eight ball, that one ALWAYS goes in last) since none of the balls went into a pocket on my shot. 

You keep playing until all of your SOLID or STRIPED balls are gone. Once they're gone, you attempt to hit the black eight ball into a pocket. Once you do that, congratulations, you win!

HOW TO PLAY POOL (IN GTAW):

Once you've roleplayed setting up the balls in the triangular pattern (or don't, doesn't matter, not that important) you can roleplay breaking the pattern with the cue ball.

Ex: /me takes the pool stick and drives it into the cue ball, sending it toward the direction of the other balls.

Then, do the command /chance 25. If it succeeds, then you use the command /roll 1 15. If it's 1 to 7, you're SOLIDS. If it's 9 to 15, you're STRIPES. If it fails, the next player repeats the process. You keep going until somebody succeeds their /chance 25 and rolls to decide which ball they are. If a player rolls an 8, technically in real life they would lose since you can't knock the 8 ball in before the other balls, but for the sake of the game they just forfeit their turn and the 8 ball remains on the table.

After this, all you do is really just repeat the roleplay in reverse until someone wins. For example, if you're solid, you do /roll 1 6 (it's 1 to 6 since you would have hit one of the 7 solid balls into a pocket to get solids in the first place. Same thing for stripes, if you got stripes you would do /roll 9 14 instead.) Let's say you get 6. After that, do /chance 25. If it fails, it's the next person's turn. If you succeed, your 6 ball is now gone. You go again, this time doing /roll 1 5. Let's say you get 5 this time. Do /chance 25. If it fails, it's the next person's turn. If it succeeds, your 5 ball is now gone, and then the next turn you would do /roll 1 4. You keep repeating this process until you only have one ball left, which in that case you would just do /chance 25. 

CONCLUSION: 

This is basically just a really rough draft of how to roleplay pool in GTAW. Obviously it's not supposed to be a rule or anything, just a simple guide for people who are interested in roleplaying pool at bars, arcades, etc. There are a few things that I wanted to include that I felt like I had to leave out for the sake of simplicity, so if it feels like something is missing that's most likely why.  

Edited by onlydemia
lack of clarity, fixing it
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1