[LSNN] INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM: Kingpins - The Veterano's Memorandum

LSNN_Logo.png

INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM:
KINGPINS

THE VETERANO’S MEMORANDUM

PARENTAL ADVISORY AND VIEWER WARNING:

The following article contains explicit content and depicts, discusses, and/or describes graphic violence, which may be offensive to some viewers.

Viewer discretion is advised.

BY: ROBIN ZYSKOWSKI, JOURNALIST

LSNN_-_Divider.png

COMING UP:

Homeboys_1.jpg

Homeboys_2.jpg

LSNN_-_Divider.png

East_Los_1.jpg

Much akin to the Southside described in the last episode of Kingpins, violence, too, sweeps through Eastern Los Santos. “East Los” is primarily a Latino community, hailing predominantly from Mexico, El Salvador, and Guatemala. The neighborhoods to the north - Mirror Park - are the most affluent, with the balance being left to squalor due to rapid gentrification.

East_Los_2.jpg

In these neighborhoods, the presence of gangs is ever-present. With not as much of a notoriety for mindless violence as the Davis area, walking alone at night is still not an ideal plan. That said, much of the gangsters on the streets today are a “younger” generation, filled with a tenacity and aggression - more so than decades prior. However, the older parties still come to the table for their share of the spoils. And with it, comes a sense of morals and loyalty that are all steeped in a sanguinary history.

LSNN_-_Divider.png

Blood_In_The_Streets_1.jpg

Depicted: A shooting near East Los (4/28/2023).

LSNN_-_Divider.png

In this episode of Kingpins, LSNN visits a Veterano of East Los, where they are able to provide a perspective still harbored by the gangsters of old. The journalist was instructed not to take any photos or even provide a false name; for the purposes of this article herein, they are the “Veterano''. 

This Veterano came from El Salvador in the late 70’s, their country steeped in turmoil during the Salvadoran Civil war. In which, a coalition of left wing rebels called the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN) backed by Fidel Castro and the Soviet Union revolted against the US backed Salvadoran government. The war started in 1979, and didn’t end until 1992.

Veterano: My father died fighting in El Salvador in seventy-nine. Our country was being ravaged by rebellion, at the time.

Robin: I see…Your father. What was he uh- like?

Veterano: Mi Padre… mi padre was… Quiet. Tranquillo. He never said anything he didn’t mean. Aside from that, mija. It’s difficult for me to recount the memories he left me. That was a long time ago, que no.

Robin: I uh- I see. And your mother?

Veterano: Mi Jefita… She did what she could to keep me out of trouble in a new place. We touched down in East Los in the eighties - at the beginning of ‘everything’.

A widow supporting an entire family, freshly immigrated to the United States as refugees - as with many of the others who came into the South and Western US. Many still make the trek today, hoping for a new life north of the border - where a hopeful peace can be achieved. However, those migrants are also commonly exploited by the cartel and other factions under the table to meet profits. To date, there have been 1,544,087 illegal immigrants stopped at the border - in a report published by the United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Among them were 3,032 pounds of marijuana, 1,262 pounds of cocaine, 4,218 pounds of methamphetamine, and 471 pounds of fetanyl. 

The top two cartels arrested attempting to cross the border to date have been MS-13 (97 persons) and 18th Street (44 persons).

Robin: Hmmm…I see uh- why East Los? Was it where most of the El Salvadorian migrants settled?

Veterano: Si, claro. There were many of us here, at the time. East Los has always been a safe place por La Raza to lay our heads. We do what we can to take care of each other. That is why I am still breathing, Senora. I take good care of my people.

Robin: La Raza? Do you uh- mind explaining?

Veterano: La Raza - our race. Los Chicanos. The people who came here from Mexico, and beyond. My people.

The Veterano looked out the window, their gaze seemingly nostalgic, and with much on his mind. It’s been 40 years since they’ve settled here, and much has reportedly changed. See their words below…

Robin: What’s…changed? And - why do you think it has?

Veterano: There is a new kind of hunger on the streets, Senora. One that burns loyalty at the stake. Most of the youngsters are chasing small, insignificant prizes. They lack direction, tu sabes. No one was there to teach them how to survive.

Robin: I see…What has this done to your uh- neighborhood? To East Los? What changes have you witnessed?

Veterano: Now, more than ever - the game is block for block. We used to fight with different neighborhoods, or districts of the city. Pero now, the homeboys putting in work will kill their own familia for a few extra dollars. The market you’re looking for reflects that… aversion, to loyalty.

LSNN_-_Divider.png

Blood_in_the_Streets_2.jpg

Depicted: A shooting near East Los (4/28/2023).

LSNN_-_Divider.png

The journalist then went to ask the Veterano about the influence of narcotics amongst his community, the effect it’s had, and the changes brought about. Below is their answer…

Veterano: No lo se… Narcoticos come in and out of our Barrios all the time…. ….We do what we can to remain “self-sufficient”, que no. One moment - the market is flooded. The next, even the most desperate fiend can find enough heroin to get his fucking mind right. In East Los, we pride ourselves on consistency, Senora. No matter what the market is.

Robin: Can you uh- expand upon that? Consistency of…?

The Veterano lowered his sunglasses to glare across the table at the journalist.

Veterano: Providing for our Familias, however we can. If that means we have to cross the line onto the darker side of the “markets”; so be it.

Robin: And… that darker side. Uh- over time, with things changing,. Has it become more often you see that?

The Veterano, in turn, gave a very firm nod with a small chuckle.

Veterano: Pur supuesto. You can hit any club, any party in East Los and find whatever you need. Every single youngster I come across has a pocket full of something.

And, at the admittance of that, they shook their head - with an almost solemn look. Pressing the matter, the journalist continued to ask about their feelings regarding the youngsters, and what they’d say to them; words of advice.

Veterano: Mira - … In your question lies the issue of morality, Senora. How can I tell them to stop, when I know their children are hungry - … Who am I to take the clothes off their backs, or money out of their pockets. All I can do is provide for them with the hope that the feria they make is used to care for the people they love.

Yet, not everyone is in it for clothes, food, and “familia”, in reference to the previous episode of Kingpins. Many are in it purely for the chase of capital, and ascending amongst the landscape of position and territory. 

Robin: And… what of the uh- the ones who chase riches? To what I understand, and… this is coming anecdotally from others I've talked with… they see it just as a business. To get rich, and to get rich quick. What’re your thoughts there?

At that, the Veterano smiled.

Veterano: That is a shallow, and deadly perspective on the games we play, mija. The homeboys that are “getting rich quick” usually end up face down in an alley. The fiends pick their bones as they bleed into the gutter. You have to think bigger than that, Senora. Es todo bien. Only then will you be able to enjoy the spoils of war.

Robin: Have you… been? To war?

Veterano: Too many times to count, Senora. The war I speak of is the battle to survive… to outlast. What good is the money you make if you’re dead at twenty-five.

With the battle to survive, many factions pit themselves against each other. As the Veterano said, the battle is “block for block”. When asked about business regarding other factions in other parts of the city, such as the Italians, Russians, Chinese, etc. - they declined to comment. Circling back, however, to the changes they’ve seen in East Los, the conversation continued…

Robin: How would you like East Los to change… at all? You mention that the youngsters only care for themselves… Things of that nature. What has to change?

Veterano: Muy bien… That is a very good question. Unfortunately, the answer resides in action - not conversation. If there is one lesson you need to learn about the game we play - in East Los, and every other corner of the city - … Silence is your closest, and only ally.

Robin: I… I see. Then - may I ask: people are too quick to rat each other out, then?

Veterano: The youngsters talk too much, Senora. I’m sure you will have no problem pulling information from them. As for speaking to Policia, or the Federales… Si. The new generation is easily broken.

Robin: You must uh - have a lot of weight on your shoulders. Looking out for them?

Veterano: Pero si. There are many that share the burden. It’s difficult to say these vatos lack “spine”, but they react without thinking. It usually costs them a lot more than they would like...But I’ve seen a lot of strength in the joevencitos out there. They simply… lack direction.

Disgruntled, yet respectful of the youth, this Veterano has seen their share of bloodshed and outlasted it insofar. They’re cautious, position themselves as cautious, and care more for their “La Raza” than most of the younger generation. The journalist concluded their talks with the Veterano here; see the below…

Robin: I see….Then. Is it right of me to uh- ask… Where do you fit into this? Can you- tell me more about your story? In modern day. More than just - what I already know, I mean.

Veterano: Perhaps another time, Senora… I don’t take questions like that lightly.

LSNN_-_Divider.png

Comments are ENABLED for this article.

Username:

Comment:'

LSNN_-_Divider.png

Edited by Foxicus
  • Upvote 4