Anime and CSGO

Waldur

Wellll.... I want my character to be a typical degenerate and have a anime and gaming addiction but I don't really know anything about anime or CSGO so when confronted about it by other people or when in a general RP situation when I need to go in more detail about the stuff then can I just use /'me's like "John Doe describes several well known anime cartoons in great detail." or "John Doe goes into great detail on describing various CSGO gameplay mechanics, clearly showing his dedication to the cause". I'm asking because I don't want people IC think of my character as trolling or lying when I can't really describe stuff to them. And I really don't wanna start researching anime irl either. Please, thanks.

Depends on the context, imo. But generally speaking, I think anyone trying to role-play a character in any particular way should have OOC knowledge on the topics or background they wish to carry out in game. Most people on the server put in a lot of effort into portraying a realistic character. From the cops, to the gang bangers, to the regular civilians running businesses, or even the judicial system. If you had a chance to look at the amount of research and effort put into portraying these things realistically in game, it may surprise you.

Failing to have some basic underlying knowledge on what you wish to portray does everyone a disservice. I mean, just think about it, how is anyone even supposed to respond or interact with you if all you do is general /me's like "/me describes a well known anime." If you're in a conversation with someone, this makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to hold any sort of conversation. If you found someone else who shared the same interests IC, how would you even know what they're talking about or hold a conversation with them if you hold no OOC knowledge of the topic? The only time I would find a /me like the one you described acceptable, would be in scenarios where you're describing a scene to 3rd party.

There's always going to be someone who thinks you're "trolling", especially because this is an uncommon thing to role-play in-game (in my opinion). But if you put in the effort to actually portray this character realistically and comply with all of the in-game rules while doing so, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on the admin team who would have an issue with this. If anything, I'd personally welcome the unique variety in civilian personality to the server as it seems most people are just interested in roleplaying cops, gang bangers, or business owners.

TLDR: I wouldn't do it. Do some basic research on what you want to role-play so that you can portray your character realistically and interact with others appropriately.

Edited by Widdizzles
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Widdizzles said:

Depends on the context, imo. But generally speaking, I think anyone trying to role-play a character in any particular way should have OOC knowledge on the topics or background they wish to carry out in game. Most people on the server put in a lot of effort into portraying a realistic character. From the cops, to the gang bangers, to the regular civilians running businesses, or even the judicial system. If you had a chance to look at the amount of research and effort put into portraying these things realistically in game, it may surprise you.

Failing to have some basic underlying knowledge on what you wish to portray does everyone a disservice. I mean, just think about it, how is anyone even supposed to respond or interact with you if all you do is general /me's like "/me describes a well known anime." If you're in a conversation with someone, this makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to hold any sort of conversation. If you found someone else who shared the same interests IC, how would you even know what they're talking about or hold a conversation with them if you hold no OOC knowledge of the topic? The only time I would find a /me like the one you described acceptable, would be in scenarios where you're describing a scene to 3rd party.

There's always going to be someone who thinks you're "trolling", especially because this is an uncommon thing to role-play in-game (in my opinion). But if you put in the effort to actually portray this character realistically and comply with all of the in-game rules while doing so, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on the admin team who would have an issue with this. If anything, I'd personally welcome the unique variety in civilian personality to the server as it seems most people are just interested in roleplaying cops, gang bangers, or business owners.

TLDR: I wouldn't do it. Do some basic research on what you want to role-play so that you can portray your character realistically and interact with others appropriately.

You make a lot of sense. I guess I'll just make these activities not so prominent on my character development and then not giving too much specific details verbally  about it as another trait of my character(I doubt someone will torture him to get to know his favorite anime and whatnot 😄)

Can L&A, I got my answer.

• Upvote 1
  • Poetic locked this topic