Reference pictures within character attributes/descriptions

Padex

2 hours ago, Natala said:

It comes with issues, such as using pictures of real people who hasn't consented to being used, celebreties, real criminals for gang picturs

I don't see how that could be a problem as long as it's publicly available pictures and are people of age

1 hour ago, Pickle said:

they can do a shortened imgur link as someone said above

If people can post shortened imgur links within the description, then what's the difference between that and implementing a system that makes it easier to view said links through a simple command?

1 hour ago, Pickle said:

If people can't spend time to make good faces to represent their characters they shouldn't be able to shortcut and force us to play along. I'm not going to pretend people look like their heavily face-app'd and photoshopped photos in game or like some supermodel when their character model doesn't back it up.

This wouldn't be any different than people having things like "is very handsome" in their attributes. will there be people that make unrealistic pictures? sure, but the same can be applied to the character descriptions. This is a problem related to players, not to the feature itself. People who would use this feature inappropriately do the same thing with other existing features, so it's not like there'll be an increase of cringey characters with this new feature, it'll just affect cringey characters and players who're already present.

36 minutes ago, Padex said:

I don't see how that could be a problem as long as it's publicly available pictures and are people of age.

Because if you are using real or edited photos of real people, it is almost impossible to verify if they are being used legally. As an artist I can speak about this with some knowledge as artists gets in trouble all the time using real people as references that is a copyrighted image or the model wasn't aware.

If somone pick a picture from Google images, there is no guarantee that photo wasn't stolen of an account against the person's wishes or has a copyright attached to it from the photographer or the model. Just because prople post selfies on say Instagram, does not give anyone the right to use those selfies.

This is why most rpg games that uses portraits uses either artwork or have photoshopped photos (which is still iffy) to the point they have been transformed. 

Edited by Natala
12 minutes ago, Natala said:

Because if you are using real or edited photos of real people, it is almost impossible to verify if they are being used legally. As an artist I can speak about this with some knowledge as artists gets in trouble all the time using real people as references that is a copyrighted image or the model wasn't aware.

If someone pick a picture from Google images, there is no guarantee that photo wasn't stolen of an account against the person's wishes or has a copyright attached to it from the photographer or the model. Just because people post selfies on say Instagram, does not give anyone the right to use those selfies.

This is why most rpg games that uses portraits uses either artwork or have photoshopped photos (which is still iffy) to the point they have been transformed. 

I would agree in the context you mentioned, which is art related (I'm an artist too!). Of course it would be a problem if I used images under copyright because that implies I would profit off of them (even though, if you use images as references without outright copying them you shouldn't get in trouble)

Here it's different though. I'm pretty confident that the usage of said images in a roleplay server would fall under the category of fair use, since those images, even if under copyright, are not used for monetary gain, and the user doesn't really benefit from it apart from having an image that most resembles the character they have in mind.

2 hours ago, Padex said:

This wouldn't be any different than people having things like "is very handsome" in their attributes. will there be people that make unrealistic pictures? sure, but the same can be applied to the character descriptions. This is a problem related to players, not to the feature itself. People who would use this feature inappropriately do the same thing with other existing features, so it's not like there'll be an increase of cringey characters with this new feature, it'll just affect cringey characters and players who're already present.

''Is very handsome'' isn't allowed either. It's powergaming, and isn't what attributes are for, so not sure what your point is. I don't roleplay that, and I'm not going to roleplay if someone adds their heavily done up photo. That isn't using the feature inappropriately according to you, though. You want it used to represent racial groups that you think can't be well represented in game etc, which will lead to people using models that look nothing like their characters, as it's very hard to find a real life person that represents characters well, because well, they're fake, even though they can just take the time to make it look accurate or use the ATTRIBUTES system to say ''___ has indian features'' or what ever. 

It's not something we need, hence all the -1's. 

2 hours ago, Padex said:

If people can post shortened imgur links within the description, then what's the difference between that and implementing a system that makes it easier to view said links through a simple command?

Because it's a waste of dev time when something already exists for people that absolutely insist on needing images. It's not their issue if they can't find the attribute space to describe what they need. That's the entire point of it. We don't need more to look at.

1 hour ago, Pickle said:

''Is very handsome'' isn't allowed either. It's powergaming, and isn't what attributes are for, so not sure what your point is. I don't roleplay that, and I'm not going to roleplay if someone adds their heavily done up photo. That isn't using the feature inappropriately according to you, though. You want it used to represent racial groups that you think can't be well represented in game etc, which will lead to people using models that look nothing like their characters, as it's very hard to find a real life person that represents characters well, because well, they're fake, even though they can just take the time to make it look accurate or use the ATTRIBUTES system to say ''___ has indian features'' or what ever. 

It's not something we need, hence all the -1's. 

Because it's a waste of dev time when something already exists for people that absolutely insist on needing images. It's not their issue if they can't find the attribute space to describe what they need. That's the entire point of it. We don't need more to look at.

Sometimes it's also things like "Has a phisique of a greek God" or something along those lines. My point is, just because some people may use it inappropriately doesn't mean that the feature must not be available at all. 

I thought that the premise that the photo must be similar to the model was pretty much implied in my suggestion already, but maybe I have to clarify that. Of course I don't condone people making a model that looks like a bum and add a photo of a supermodel, just like I wouldn't accept someone making a hideous character and putting contraddictory descriptions in the attributes section.

This suggestion is purely aimed for those who have a well established character (aesthetically speaking), but need that extra detail that is hard to show through description alone, hence the image idea. The aim for this proposal is to enable something that people can add as extra, not as something that should replace the system we already have in place. If you don't want to use it, that's totally fine. someone abuses it? Report just like you would with an inappropriate character description, simple as that. The reference image would be siomply that, a reference, to give a general idea of what cannot be easily described with words without being verbose.

The "dev time" argument doesn't really hold up here, since it's a feature that litterally involves a single command to show an image link. You can clearly see how this would hardly be difficult and time consuming to implement compared to other suggesitons within this forum.

Edited by Padex

I don't like connecting real life object with GTAW, especially visually. Using an illustration might be okay, but using real faces is just too much for me. I'm not going to humanizing GTAW characters.

EDIT: this is coming from a player that is currently having an Asian character. Yes, it is very hard to make certain Asian characters, in my case is Japanese. The parents available in GTA V heavily caters Korean/Chinese character. It's not just about "having small eyes". The facial feature of Japanese (female) is hard to achieve (if possible).

Edited by varthshenon