Some odd behavior, it seems

Acid

Hi.

It's been crazy on my end with how badly GTA 5 is performing. I am not sure if this is an issue on my end or GTA5 in general; however, I am out here to understand if there's any workaround or ways to make it any better.

Here are my specs:

Nvidia Geforce RTX 4060 TI (8 GB)

12th Gen I5 12400F (12 CPUs)
32 GB of RAM

1 TB of SSD memory
PRIME B660-PLUS (MOBO)

240 hz monitor

I find it odd that I would have huge FPS drops, screen tearing, and even microstutters when playing the game. I am able to play at 160 FPS+ in some areas, but when I roll down into LS, it drops drastically. I cannot drive across Davis with more than 50 FPS, full of screen tearing and microstutters. The same goes for Hawick and other areas of the map. I have seen people with specs that are not as great and have no issues with performance, though if they have, they are nowhere close to what I experience.

I wouldn't say my rig is bad. It's not overheating either; it's got 9 fans blasting in there.

Anyone who experienced this type of behavior and managed to fix it? I have no issues with other games, even the ones that are CPU-demanding (as GTA is known to abuse your CPU).

I look forward to trying new methods to fix this performance issue.

22 minutes ago, Acid said:

I find it odd that I would have huge FPS drops, screen tearing, and even microstutters when playing the game. I am able to play at 160 FPS+ in some areas, but when I roll down into LS, it drops drastically. I cannot drive across Davis with more than 50 FPS, full of screen tearing and microstutters. The same goes for Hawick and other areas of the map. I have seen people with specs that are not as great and have no issues with performance, though if they have, they are nowhere close to what I experience.

I wouldn't say my rig is bad. It's not overheating either; it's got 9 fans blasting in there.

Anyone who experienced this type of behavior and managed to fix it? I have no issues with other games, even the ones that are CPU-demanding (as GTA is known to abuse your CPU).

Rage is very unoptimised, I would recommend limiting your FPS way, way below 160FPS. As long as your FPS isn't capped, your PC will put in every resource available towards getting to your target FPS ( in this case I assume it's your refresh rate so 240 hz )

Pretty much any game that isn't CSGO or League ( with very low graphic requirements ) is going to heat you up when your target FPS is 240.

I'm playing on a 144 Hz monitor but I limit to 60, which might not be what you want to hear, but I find that I don't need the extra FPS as much as I would in League or CSGO, where twitch reflex matters.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
14 minutes ago, Oggy said:

What are your ingame settings? Send a full picture of everyuthing.

What mods do you have?

The only mod I have is QUANTV; however, the same behavior occurs without any mods at all.
The more I lower my graphic settings, the worse it gets.

Mods or no Mods, same thing.

Spoiler

jS41keR.png

Uao5sDk.png

8jnZthJ.png

WUxnwNt.png

10 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Rage is very unoptimised, I would recommend limiting your FPS way, way below 160FPS. As long as your FPS isn't capped, your PC will put in every resource available towards getting to your target FPS ( in this case I assume it's your refresh rate so 240 hz )

Pretty much any game that isn't CSGO or League ( with very low graphic requirements ) is going to heat you up when your target FPS is 240.

I'm playing on a 144 Hz monitor but I limit to 60, which might not be what you want to hear, but I find that I don't need the extra FPS as much as I would in League or CSGO, where twitch reflex matters.

I've already tried this before, but the behavior is just the same.

I am able to play at 160 FPS+ in some areas,

This is in itself is an issue, near 150/160 fps you're starting to touch the RAGE engine limitations, causing micro stuttering and sorts.

as for the rest, no idea.

4 hours ago, Acid said:

Hi.

It's been crazy on my end with how badly GTA 5 is performing. I am not sure if this is an issue on my end or GTA5 in general; however, I am out here to understand if there's any workaround or ways to make it any better.

Here are my specs:

Nvidia Geforce RTX 4060 TI (8 GB)

12th Gen I5 12400F (12 CPUs)
32 GB of RAM

1 TB of SSD memory
PRIME B660-PLUS (MOBO)

240 hz monitor

I have very similar issues although my rig isn't quite as good as yours. I did get a slight improvement with FPS by setting the priority to high via task manager by right clicking the service and selecting the 'Priority' section.

Also within windows if you go to System > Display. In here there should be a 'Graphics' option, select that and double check GTA is set to high performance (also seems to have slightly improved the issues) - you could also look at slightly over clocking your CPU, I also did this myself but as I'm not an expert I'd recommend looking at a guide.

On the screen tearing side of things, it's probably due to V-sync not being enabled (turning it on can cause some slight input lag but should completely stop the tearing) overall RAGE is pretty poorly optimised, you may need to turn your settings down slightly or adjust your resolution. I tend to get significant fps drops in highly populated areas (140 > 80fps etc)

Edited by PaidInFull.
  • Upvote 1