computer powers off when in specific interiors

kodak

13 hours ago, kodak said:

Title says it all, I've had this issue for a few weeks now and I've got no idea how to fix it.

I'm rocking a basic set-up, my GPU is a GTX 1060 6gb, CPU is i5-4430, 16gb RAM and I'm on 64 bit Windows 10.

What's your PSU? Based on what you've said here, assuming you use 1 drive, 1 fan, 2 sticks of ram and have no OC, you'd be looking at less than 300w (actually maximum 226w) power usage maximum. Can't buy a PSU now that doesn't have suitable capabilities for this unless you're buying from some really weird vendor or buying refurbished stuff.

Even if you have a highly overclocked CPU + GPU, an insane/outrageous 5 S-ATA disks, 2 M2 disks, 8 fans and 4 sticks of ram you shouldn't go above 420w

This should easily be fine. Have you made sure that you have the card slotted in appropriately etc? That enough power from your PSU is reaching it I played like 1700 hrs of rage on a 1660ti before upgrading, and played on a 1070ti for a short while that wasn't appropriately powered (Slotted in with only 1 power cord instead of the required 2 to get enough power) and never had any issues on rage even with some graphical mods.

I'd think part of your setup is a combination of (one or more):

a) flawed with some things not being connected properly;

b) damaged and in need of replacement

c) very dirty and in need of a good cleaning

d) dated, old and in need of replacement

Because for the rest an instant shutdown shouldn't really happen. I've had rage crash, sure. But never have the graphics card decide to stop streaming entirely.

Edited by BjornV

Ok so based on my experience that was very recent I might have the optimal solution for you.

My old pc was a i5 2400, 8gb ram, RX 550 4gb and I can say that my experience on the server was garbage and extremely unplayable on any settings. I upgraded my pc to a Ryzen 5 5500, 16gb ram and GTX 1060 6gb which is huge compared to what I've had. But there was one issue, one tiny issue I overlooked and that was the most important part in my system: PSU.

My issue was that the PSU was causing my GPU to crash making my screen go completely black even though I could still hear the sound and the gpu fans were going up to 100% until I was restarting the system. Sometimes my system wouldn't even boot normally nor even start at all. I had a bullshit 9 years old psu Inter-Tech Energon 650w. Whenever my GPU was stressed at all in games or synthetic tests it'd crash. I was like aight time to try a different psu. I changed it to a different chinese psu 500w (literally written on it made in china lol) and the issue seemed to have gone but appear somewhere else. Now the issue was that I could play under normal stress but whenever my pc was in idle it'd randomly crash for no reason. It was hella weird. In the end I ordered a Seasonic 80+ gold 550w psu and ever since I havent had any issues at all. I'm running rage flawlessly and any other game. Well, I had to undervolt my cpu cause amd was being dumb using dangerous voltage causing my temps to go nuts but I doubt you'd have to worry about that.

Considering your issues it's safe to say it's not the GPU or other parts on your motherboard. What I recommend you doing is clean your pc off of dust and replace the power supply unit with a different one. Good modular power supply units may be a lil pricey but it's worth investing into simply because they are not only certified 80plus gold but also have all the extra protections you need. In my case and probably your case it could be that the pcie cable that is separately supplying the gpu isnt doing its job right or the psu itself isnt able to provide enough power somewhere causing an issue internally. If your temperatures and voltages are very normal, you don't lag in games nor witnessed other artifacts with the gpu then you are good. Try stress testing gpu in unigine heaven or similar softwares for like 30 mins and monitor how it performs. If it's all good consider replacing your power supply unit.

p.s: im playing w/ very high settings w/ msaa x2 and i get about 80fps, avg being 70-75 so yh dont worry about settings. though that cpu has quite the bottleneck in your case so my advice is figure out the best custom settings for an optimal gameplay.

Edited by Invictus

42 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Ok so based on my experience that was very recent I might have the optimal solution for you.

My old pc was a i5 2400, 8gb ram, RX 550 4gb and I can say that my experience on the server was garbage and extremely unplayable on any settings. I upgraded my pc to a Ryzen 5 5500, 16gb ram and GTX 1060 6gb which is huge compared to what I've had. But there was one issue, one tiny issue I overlooked and that was the most important part in my system: PSU.

My issue was that the PSU was causing my GPU to crash making my screen go completely black even though I could still hear the sound and the gpu fans were going up to 100% until I was restarting the system. Sometimes my system wouldn't even boot normally nor even start at all. I had a bullshit 9 years old psu Inter-Tech Energon 650w. Whenever my GPU was stressed at all in games or synthetic tests it'd crash. I was like aight time to try a different psu. I changed it to a different chinese psu 500w (literally written on it made in china lol) and the issue seemed to have gone but appear somewhere else. Now the issue was that I could play under normal stress but whenever my pc was in idle it'd randomly crash for no reason. It was hella weird. In the end I ordered a Seasonic 80+ gold 550w psu and ever since I havent had any issues at all. I'm running rage flawlessly and any other game. Well, I had to undervolt my cpu cause amd was being dumb using dangerous voltage causing my temps to go nuts but I doubt you'd have to worry about that.

Considering your issues it's safe to say it's not the GPU or other parts on your motherboard. What I recommend you doing is clean your pc off of dust and replace the power supply unit with a different one. Good modular power supply units may be a lil pricey but it's worth investing into simply because they are not only certified 80plus gold but also have all the extra protections you need. In my case and probably your case it could be that the pcie cable that is separately supplying the gpu isnt doing its job right or the psu itself isnt able to provide enough power somewhere causing an issue internally. If your temperatures and voltages are very normal, you don't lag in games nor witnessed other artifacts with the gpu then you are good. Try stress testing gpu in unigine heaven or similar softwares for like 30 mins and monitor how it performs. If it's all good consider replacing your power supply unit.

p.s: im playing w/ very high settings w/ msaa x2 and i get about 80fps, avg being 70-75 so yh dont worry about settings. though that cpu has quite the bottleneck in your case so my advice is figure out the best custom settings for an optimal gameplay.

Some fairly solid advice, this is why I also suggested trying to tweak some of the power management settings as it sounds like the GPU is either running out of VRAM under high load and giving up or it isn't getting consistent juice. Either is possible here imo. If you already have a modular PSU, you could try replacing the cable from the PSU to the GPU first to rule out a simple faulty cable. Which would save a whole bunch of Eddies, you could also try plugging the cable into a different outlet to rule out faulty pins/connection too. 

This is definitely a PSU issue, I'd suggest upgrading that.

Considering that you are saying this happens in "certain" interiors, these interiors may have thousands of furniture items that stresses the GPU into pulling more power which is then wanting excessive power that your current PSU cannot produce.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Modular-Power-Supply-210-GQ-0750-V3/dp/B017RO39TK

This is the current PSU that I use, I haven't had any problems with GTA or Rage while using this one! Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Probably already checked, but make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date- might even be worth reinstalling your driver regardless as a corrupted one could cause an issue like this. If not I'd say its either a PSU issue as stated above, might also be worth removing and re-seating the graphics card (could maybe be loose)

Edited by Lokote

Alright so, I've gotten lots of replies and I really can't be bothered quoting each and every single one (sorry im lazy) but I've read every single reply I've gotten on here!

So here's what I've done;

I've bought a new PSU 650W and installed it. I put vsync on and tweaked a little with my power management settings.

So far the issue seems to have resolved itself, I'm no longer having this problem when in the same interiors I was once in.

Thank you to everyone that contributed, love you all.

• Upvote 1