computer powers off when in specific interiors

kodak

Title says it all, I've had this issue for a few weeks now and I've got no idea how to fix it.

I'm rocking a basic set-up, my GPU is a GTX 1060 6gb, CPU is i5-4430, 16gb RAM and I'm on 64 bit Windows 10.

To elaborate further on what I'm experiencing exactly;

- I go to a club/interior

- I'm fine for about 5 minutes

- I walk to an area that has some excessive lighting and/or object placement

- My screen goes black, I can't tab out or anything - the sound still plays

- My screen then acts as if it's turned off even though the computer's still running

I get a solid 80-90 fps on very high settings and the 1080p resolution I play on, could this have anything to do with it? I'm honestly clueless and this gets really annoying when I'm mid roleplay and it just kills the vibe for me. This has been happening on and off with it disappearing for several days, then the problem comes back out of the blue. 

Opinions and/or solutions are very welcomed, thank you in advance!

Edited by kodak
  • Upvote 2

I think your GPU is the issue here, most likely running out of memory. Intensive lighting environments need more shadows to be rendered leading to more VRAM memory being used as shadows are notoriously hard on GPUs. 6GB really isn't an awful lot to work with. Try to cap your fps at 60, see if that solves your issues. If not turn down your shadow settings.

Also dumb question, but when was the last time you updated your drivers and does this happen in any other games? Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark would be a decent place to start or any other benchmark that has similar lighting conditions to what you mention.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

I think your GPU is the issue here, most likely running out of memory. Intensive lighting environments need more shadows to be rendered leading to more VRAM memory being used as shadows are notoriously hard on GPUs. 6GB really isn't an awful lot to work with. Try to cap your fps at 60, see if that solves your issues. If not turn down your shadow settings.

Also dumb question, but when was the last time you updated your drivers and does this happen in any other games? Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark would be a decent place to start or any other benchmark that has similar lighting conditions to what you mention.

There's no way a 1060 6gb is the issue. I am running RAGE on a 1050Ti which has 4gb.

I however agree to try vsync/60fps cap.

If there is a bit of hardware that sucks in that is the i5-4430. Rage is heavy on the CPU.

Just my take.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, kodak said:

- My screen goes black, I can't tab out or anything - the sound still plays

- My screen then acts as if it's turned off even though the computer's still running

This happens to me a lot, specially when I'm in areas where my FPS drop a lot and it makes my PC overheat and stuff like that, for example like you said, clubs or interiors with a lot of furniture or a lot of people in it.

What happens to me personally is that my PC starts to lag, I get massive spikes and my FPS drop to 14, then go back up to 60, then back to 4, then back up to 60 and out of nowhere my screen goes black while the sound is still playing. I usually just reset my computer and it works again.

I maybe found ONE fix that works like 1/10 times, I don't know why the chances are so low but it fixes it rarely for me. All I do is mess with cables such as my keyboard cable, mouse cable or headset and I unplug and plug it a few times and SOMETIMES it works again, or I go behind my PC and unplug the HDMI and re-plug it, if that doesn't work then I unplug the HDMI cable from behind the monitor and re-plug it. If this doesn't work then I usually just reset my PC and hope that my monitor works again.

Unrelated but SOMETIMES when I reset my pc to fix the black screen, my monitor simply says "no signal" even though it's perfectly running in the background, I never really found a fix to it other than playing with the HDMI cables.

EDIT: I remember talking to some of my friends about this same exact problem and I told them that I have a smaller monitor that doesn't match the resolution I selected in my Windows "Display Options" nor my GTA 5 resolution (1080x1920). They told me that it might be one of the problems because obviously, I'm forcing a larger resolution on a monitor that shouldn't be able to handle it, hence it fucks up every now and then when I'm in big places where FPS drops are common.

Edited by BLUE HUNDREDS
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Moonsong said:

I’ve updated them last week, got the new GameReady driver as well. No, I have no issues with other games, it’s just RAGE. I’ll try the VSync and update you with the outcome though!

50 minutes ago, BLUE HUNDREDS said:

This happens to me a lot, specially when I'm in areas where my FPS drop a lot and it makes my PC overheat and stuff like that, for example like you said, clubs or interiors with a lot of furniture or a lot of people in it.

What happens to me personally is that my PC starts to lag, I get massive spikes and my FPS drop to 14, then go back up to 60, then back to 4, then back up to 60 and out of nowhere my screen goes black while the sound is still playing. I usually just reset my computer and it works again.

I maybe found ONE fix that works like 1/10 times, I don't know why the chances are so low but it fixes it rarely for me. All I do is mess with cables such as my keyboard cable, mouse cable or headset and I unplug and plug it a few times and SOMETIMES it works again, or I go behind my PC and unplug the HDMI and re-plug it, if that doesn't work then I unplug the HDMI cable from behind the monitor and re-plug it. If this doesn't work then I usually just reset my PC and hope that my monitor works again.

Unrelated but SOMETIMES when I reset my pc to fix the black screen, my monitor simply says "no signal" even though it's perfectly running in the background, I never really found a fix to it other than playing with the HDMI cables.

EDIT: I remember talking to some of my friends about this same exact problem and I told them that I have a smaller monitor that doesn't match the resolution I selected in my Windows "Display Options" nor my GTA 5 resolution (1080x1920). They told me that it might be one of the problems because obviously, I'm forcing a larger resolution on a monitor that shouldn't be able to handle it, hence it fucks up every now and then when I'm in big places where FPS drops are common.

Apart from the FPS drops, you’ve explained what happens to me to a tee. I don’t get any FPS drops whatsoever it just randomly powers off and my screen shows the “No Signal” message as well.

I’ll try and utilise your methods, because maybe my hardware’s faulty and having a lot of things connected to my USB and overall ports is overloading the system? No idea lol.

Thank you all for your input, I’ll try your given solutions and update you when I’ve tested them!

• Applaud 1
3 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

There's no way a 1060 6gb is the issue. I am running RAGE on a 1050Ti which has 4gb.

I however agree to try vsync/60fps cap.

If there is a bit of hardware that sucks in that is the i5-4430. Rage is heavy on the CPU.

Just my take.

Black screen but audio playing still sounds like a GPU issue to me especially since he says he gets 'no signal' 4gb isn't gonna go very far either tbh though probably enough to run it on medium-high settings under most conditions.  

You could also try adjusting the power management options and give your gou higher priority, this should make sure it consistently gets enough juice.

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Black screen but audio playing still sounds like a GPU issue to me especially since he says he gets 'no signal' 4gb isn't gonna go very far either tbh though probably enough to run it on medium-high settings under most conditions.  

You could also try adjusting the power management options and give your gou higher priority, this should make sure it consistently gets enough juice.

It does sound like a GPU issue, and I’ve actually thought about upgrading to a GPU with more memory on it, not just because of RAGE but generally. I’m not really having any issues with stuttering or lagging on any of the other games I play, nor GTA V and RAGE for that matter, so I figured it’s just a thing with RAGE since I play FiveM perfectly fine in just about any interior and the same issue doesn’t occur.

Maybe I’ve gotta tweak my settings a bit? Not entirely sure but it’s worth a shot.

I’m no computer expert, I just play videogames in my free time!

51 minutes ago, kodak said:

It does sound like a GPU issue, and I’ve actually thought about upgrading to a GPU with more memory on it, not just because of RAGE but generally. I’m not really having any issues with stuttering or lagging on any of the other games I play, nor GTA V and RAGE for that matter, so I figured it’s just a thing with RAGE since I play FiveM perfectly fine in just about any interior and the same issue doesn’t occur.

Maybe I’ve gotta tweak my settings a bit? Not entirely sure but it’s worth a shot.

I’m no computer expert, I just play videogames in my free time!

If you're thinking about an upgrade, I'd strongly recommend a 4060 as a starting point. Mostly because they're very affordable just now and would probably work quite well with your current system. Obviously though, make sure your PSU would support an upgrade, as it needs a minimum of 550w-600w (I'd recommend gold rated).

if you want to tweak the gfx settings and see what effect it has on your current performance, dropping your shadows down to high would be a great start as it'll have the most impact out of any of the settings. You're not going to notice too much of a difference visually, but it should improve performance and vram usage

• Thanks 1