Are Police/SD/Judicial becoming power drunk?

Tmthn678

Does the server require a form of Police/SD/Law Enforcement Reform? (IC and OOC)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Yes Or No - Please only post constructive responses.

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Just my two cents:

Los Santos could be a friendly place, with friendly cops and people.

It's not. And that's completely fine, actually. It's a setting that's currently in place due to IC circumstances. Those are pretty much entirely IC issues I'd say, considering the general climate of Los Santos I'd be more surprised to hear that cops didn't change their behaviors into more hostile ones. People, and subsequently characters are going to be the products of their environment. If you're surrounded by characters who would gladly kill you, you'd be jumpy too.

Like stated in previous comments, the corruption and the crooked cops makes sense in our setting. It'd be weird not to see it at all, or barely.

I've had many good and bad IC interactions with cops. None of them actually made me upset OOC'ly, though.

Yes and I think it's really realistic. Same "power drunkness" happens in real life. In real life, you learn to follow orders and shut up when working with the police. Players in this server are way too confrontational ICly. That's not realistic unless you're roleplaying mental issues. 

• Applaud 2
1 hour ago, Tmthn678 said:

Officers threatening to seize a car over dark tints because they did not like the player was swearing at them ICly.

8ee5306d4f5ae4e84304169c51c6dbe6.png

This isn't abuse of power, it's the law, dude.

Police officers slamming an individual against a car and cuffing them, causing them to have a seizure and then telling everyone they slipped, then leaving without any bit of follow up RP to the player in fear of being caught being corrupt.

This is minor police brutality which is allowed. If a suspect gives cops trouble he can expect to catch an elbow or two. And what should they be scared of? We don't have bodycams. That's a two sided blade. Means criminals who shoot us get away with it and we also get away with some stuff.

Officers with a very limited understanding of the US Legal system & attempting to deny individuals of their rights to a lawyer and questioning prior to an arrest.

You don't have the right to see a lawyer on GTAW unless we question you. It would be completely impossible to play a LEO if you had to wait for a lawyer for 1 hour every time you arrested someone.

Tasing players for simply walking up and yelling at a criminal scene. 

In real life I'd just grab and/or tackle you but we don't have those ingame. Game concession.

Not roleplaying crashes during pursuits, ramming others out of their way. (You can not deny you haven't seen this one)

You can always report. But as a LEO for 3 years now I can assure you criminals PG while driving far more often.

Anyhow, this server has so many restrictions towards cops and so much crime that it's only natural cops are overly zealous when doing their duties. If anything we don't have enough corrupt cops. When a cop lies on the stand or plants evidence it's treated as something incredibly rare. It should happen far more often.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Developer
7 minutes ago, liq said:

The most laughable thing ever is prosecutors (DA faction members) being judges on alts and approving their friend's warrants. Warrants should always be free-of-conflict-of-interest, there's a lot of judges who have no ties to any law enforcement faction, it's OK to let them handle things instead of stepping in at the first whiff of something. 

There are systems in place to make sure this does not happen. This argument here is easy to rebutt. Out of all the DA faction members, only 1 is a judge, and his role in the DAO is to handle writs and appeals and isn't an active prosecuting attorney unless in major cases. I have a judge alt that's mainly used to civil court and warrants to help my faction as a whole as a faction leader, think of it as creating a lieutenant alt. 

So I don't believe this point is true, sorry, at least not at the current time. Judges that are in SD can not accept SD warrants, same with PD, that's how it is right now. You gotta realize that the wait times on warrants are extremely long at times, we can restrict it only so much.

Spoiler

DAO FACTION MEMBERS THAT DON'T HAVE JUDGE ALTS:-

Andrew Morgan

Bradley Myers

Daniel Caseras

Eileen Mizuhara

Frank Sorrentino

Kady McGregor

Luis Ocasio

Michael Brovarsky

Silvia Lopez

Daren Morrison

Paul Horne

Rafael Magana

Sonia Alvarez

Stephen Jones

Laura Kurihara

Elizabeth Lacroix

DAO FACTION MEMBERS THAT BEEN PERMITTED A JUDGE ALT:-

Gerald Calvin - Writs and Appeals, non-primary prosecutor

Harper Meyer - District Attorney, JSA Leader

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, Miami said:

Yes and I think it's really realistic. Same "power drunkness" happens in real life. In real life, you learn to follow orders and shut up when working with the police. Players in this server are way too confrontational ICly. That's not realistic unless you're roleplaying mental issues. 

If what you're saying is that the issue can come from both sides, then I fully agree with you. People are not afraid to drop the F*** bomb at someone for a minor misunderstanding, or start a fight and pull a hammer quick\lu.

I also agree with the point that Los Santos is essentially a crime ridden, dark version of reality, in which corrupt police officers, fed up with the ordinary dealings of life, is a reality, and that is what has led to what we deal with today.

LOL my friend was told to run a red light cause the cop said he'll be pulled over if he didn't start driving ...like what? I don't care about how they choose to conduct themselves ICly as we have corruption all the time in real life. My issue is, I shouldn't withhold certain role-play onna thread in fear of metagaming or get pulled over 9/10 for having MASK seen above my character's head. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Miami said:

Exactly this, we hear it almost every so often on the news how a police officer was discharged because xyz. That's a token example of people getting overwhelmed/tripped out on the power they're given. Other than the Not roleplaying car crashes etc - These all seem like IC issues.

3 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

8ee5306d4f5ae4e84304169c51c6dbe6.png

This isn't abuse of power, it's the law, dude.

This is minor police brutality which is allowed. If a suspect gives cops trouble he can expect to catch an elbow or two. And what should they be scared of? We don't have bodycams. That's a two sided blade. Means criminals who shoot us get away with it and we also get away with some stuff.

You don't have the right to see a lawyer on GTAW unless we question you. It would be completely impossible to play a LEO if you had to wait for a lawyer for 1 hour every time you arrested someone.

In real life I'd just grab and/or tackle you but we don't have those ingame. Game concession.

You can always report. But as a LEO for 3 years now I can assure you criminals PG while driving far more often.

Anyhow, this server has so many restrictions towards cops and so much crime that it's only natural cops are overly zealous when doing their duties. If anything we don't have enough corrupt cops. When a cop lies on the stand or plants evidence it's treated as something incredibly rare. It should happen far more often.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Price said:

There are systems in place to make sure this does not happen. This argument here is easy to rebutt. Out of all the DA faction members, only 1 is a judge, and his role in the DAO is to handle writs and appeals and isn't an active prosecuting attorney unless in major cases. I have a judge alt that's mainly used to civil court and warrants to help my faction as a whole as a faction leader, think of it as creating a lieutenant alt. 

So I don't believe this point is true, sorry, at least not at the current time. Judges that are in SD can not accept SD warrants, same with PD, that's how it is right now. You gotta realize that the wait times on warrants are extremely long at times, we can restrict it only so much.

Reveal hidden contents

DAO FACTION MEMBERS NOT JUDGES:-

Andrew Morgan

Bradley Myers

Daniel Caseras

Eileen Mizuhara

Frank Sorrentino

Kady McGregor

Luis Ocasio

Michael Brovarsky

Silvia Lopez

Daren Morrison

Paul Horne

Rafael Magana

Sonia Alvarez

Stephen Jones

Laura Kurihara

Elizabeth Lacroix

DAO FACTION MEMBERS THAT BEEN PERMITTED A JUDGE ALT:-

Gerald Calvin - Writs and Appeals, non-primary prosecutor

Harper Meyer - District Attorney, JSA Leader

So you have a character that's a judge and you're also apart of the LSSD but you approved LSSD warrants... while being the DA faction leader.

Thought that "Judges that are in SD can not accept SD warrants, same with PD, that's how it is right now." though?

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, liq said:

Those same cop role-players (speaking on this as a cop role-players myself) start crying when you use the courts and the server's legal system against them. Nobody says that corruption isn't fun or necessary, but what isn't fun is trooping through as a cop & believing the server is your little stomping ground for you to do as you please and raid everyone with no helmets as if you don't care.

Again an issue which stems from mindset, not corruption. Get rid of corruption, and you punish the base of officers that have a good minset which doesn't help anyone, it'll only lead to more bad interactions accross the board as people to back to being robotic. (And still misunderstanding the law on an IC + OOC level so they still do illegal stuff cuz they dont know they cant)

• Anubis locked this topic