Business Ideas

Woozyarth

Hi guys, so I have been trying for too long now to start an out of the box business, and I found that it didn't work well. I started to lose motivation to play with the character due to lack of business ideas. I tried to run a business, but I didn't get any clients. I even when I think about a business to start, I ask myself a question and that question is "Will that business will be intersting to players to RP with it or not?" Unfortunately, I always say maybe, and that makes me ignore starting the business at all. I have been on the server for quite a while now, and I don't know what type of out of the box business will be interesting for the players to RP with and get something in return. I also thought about a brewery but from the looks of it I noticed that there are two active breweries already, and if I start a third it will not be interesting anymore for the players to RP with it. I am now stuck I don't know what type of business I can start that will be profitable and will be interesting for players to join. I need some ideas or even ways to find out if that business will work or not. I think that the variety of scripts that are on the server will make the players want to try to different type or businesses, but it looks like it is not. Ideas and suggestions will work.

I would start with the question, why am I and why is my character motivated to start a business.  Try and make it deeper than, I want to be able to make script money.  For example, does your character have a particular passion/interest?  Is there an end business goal that they want to achieve.  OOC'ly is the RP that the business is going to generate, interesting to you?

The second tip I would give you is to start with a base concept and then get used to running it.  Keep it simple and keep consistent.  After that try and grow the business and look at different ways of generating rp, slowly over time.  The more you focus on the rp concepts and creating interesting and unique experiences for people, the script money will sort itself.  Try and look at ways of bringing people together, that is why things like clubs and bars are always so popular.  It is about the rp that is generated which makes it interesting.

Focussing on your example of a brewery, so what if there are two other breweries, there are probably a lot more breweries out there that aren't advertised.  How can you make your rp more interesting, less transactional and more unique, which will pull people towards you?  What ideas can you generate around the brewery which would make it more interesting to people.  Off the top of my head things like - brewery tour, taste testing sessions for a small fee, brewery booze cruise. partner with some of the restuarants in the city, not just the obvious bars/clubs.  Provide brewer apprenticeships or a breweing masterclass for people.  Obviously some of this is probably limited by the script, by it being pretty niche and taking time for people to understand what it is you are trying to achieve, and whether any of it fits your character.  But there are loads of things which you can do, to set your business apart

Hope this helps.

A lot of players strive for clubs, bars or breweries (we have quite a lot of breweries honestly), and sometimes its for the character or their enjoyment and the social aspect, and other times it's because its just popular and therefore deemed "easy" (debatable).

But niche businesses can get popular too! Is it hard work? Yeah it can be, but players do appreciate a different hub to roleplay in and we'll support you in PM however we can.

Script money? Means nothing.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:19 PM, Woozyarth said:

I need some ideas or even ways to find out if that business will work or not. I think that the variety of scripts that are on the server will make the players want to try to different type or businesses, but it looks like it is not. Ideas and suggestions will work.

Come and join us in the PM discord. Players and admins are mega communicative on ideas and things there. Also, if a script doesn't appear to do what you need it to do, ask us if there's a way to make it work! We bend over backwards to try and make things work, or we speak to developers about tweaks and fixes to things. We're a hub of feedback, so I'm sure there will be some sort of help for you on discord.  

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Lomadias said:

A lot of players strive for clubs, bars or breweries (we have quite a lot of breweries honestly), and sometimes its for the character or their enjoyment and the social aspect, and other times it's because its just popular and therefore deemed "easy" (debatable).

But niche businesses can get popular too! Is it hard work? Yeah it can be, but players do appreciate a different hub to roleplay in and we'll support you in PM however we can.

Script money? Means nothing.

Come and join us in the PM discord. Players and admins are mega communicative on ideas and things there. Also, if a script doesn't appear to do what you need it to do, ask us if there's a way to make it work! We bend over backwards to try and make things work, or we speak to developers about tweaks and fixes to things. We're a hub of feedback, so I'm sure there will be some sort of help for you on discord.  

What you mean by PM, and how to join it.

• Anubis locked this topic