[Mapping] Beginners guide to Mapping

Br0ke

GUIDE TO MAPPING! 🙂

You do not need to be a god at mapping, you just need to be yourself and hopefully this will help! 

Oh and I will probably update this overtime. 

Hello everyone!

Whether you are new to mapping, new to the server or even someone who knows all about the mapping side (within reason).. This guide is for a introduction for mapping as for the long time now.. Mappers are so hard to come by due to the volume of requests that come in. The plan for this guide is to provide some useful links/threads, helpful information i.e: Glitching floors, or how to build a simple arch. Aim to also include helpful commands for mapping, or helpful tricks some of us mappers use! All will be listed slowly throughout. 

Useful Threads/Information: 

> Lockable Doors List: 

(Credit to @tired! for the lockable doors, also has been recently updated. 🙂 )

> Walls List: 

> Floors List: 

Updated Floors: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AoX8Qh7p2FogCXXXzt0bBxI-H3mEOX9CpL32JYRSWAM/edit#gid=0

> Wall Arts List: 

(Credit to @Kyra for the above, along with @AgentQ for the updated floors) 

> Video to try help with flickering inside the actual building! 

(Credit to @Tiddy for this one above!) 

Helpful Commands associated with mapping or the server: 

(Some may require platinum donator or above, I will mention or highlight those that do

/pentrance = This allows you to set your own entrance inside your interior. 

/reloadprop = This will trigger a reload of the current interior. 

Note: You can only use this once a minute. 

/ptime -1 = This resets any previously set /ptime to the server time.

This doesn't require donator

/ptime [No] = This allows you to set a different time of the day, helps you with seeing an interior in different light.

This requires Platinum donator minimum. 

/sf = Allows you to search for furniture in specific.

For example: /sf wooden door. 

/spf = This will allow you to search for a furniture in particular that is already placed.

For example: /spf Trim003

/pweather [0 - 9]= Using /pweather will allow you to try different weathers in your specific dim.

Info: [0 - Extra Sunny] [1 - Clear] [2 - Clouds] [3 - Smog] [4 - Foggy] [5 - Overcast] [6 - Overcast] [7 - Thunder + rain] [8 - Clearing + rain] [9 - Rain] 

And yes, both five and six are the same. 

This requires a minumum of platinum donator to utilise this command. 

/pweather -1 = Allows you to sync the weather back up to current server weather.

This doesn't require donator. 

/furnrotation [number] [number] [number] = This allows you to move a piece so many times with more ease, rather than continuous rotate [X][Y][Z]. 🙂

Example: /furnrotation [180] [180] [180]

/pstructure [confirm] = This will set your interior to be saved, when/if someone rents. They cannot delete the structure only add. 🙂

/putlock = In order to open a place door, you will need to use a door lock. Only you or an individual with a key to the property will be able to unlock said door. 

/placehandle = In order to open this door, you'll need a door handle. Anyone in the property (With or without a key) can unlock these doors. 

Please note: In regards to the last two, a door will not open unless you've obtained a handle or lock from a tool store. 🙂 

Thank you to Mittenly for the PM and adding some useful information!

Key(s):

F3 - Brings up your mouse, this allows you to click on the item if you are in the (click mode) in furniture menu. 

If you press F3 again, it will remove the mouse that is on your screen. 

F5 - Allows you to enter mapping mode. 

If you press F5 again, it will bring you out of your current mapping mode. 

F6 - Freezes you into your current mapping position so you can still map in mapping mode. 

If you press F6 again, it will unfreeze you from your mapping mode. If you F5 and go back into this, you will still need to press F6 as it will still consider you as frozen. 

F7 - Closes all visible chats, maps, etc. from your screen to allow you. 

If you press F7 again, it will bring your chat back up for you to see. 

F8 - Takes a screenshot of your current screen. 

(Thank you @Natala for help within this section! 🙂

Helpful Tips to know: 

Unfortunately, mapping inside interiors has always been said and proven itself to be one of the biggest problems for mapping. If you decide to build inside the building itself, you can run into a flickering interior (Very high chance) to which the only possible fix can be club glass - If this doesn't work then you can't fix and will have to relocate to the roof or in front. Most mappers, myself included will map on top of the building or in front. This allows us the most reassurance and best outcome as we know it'll be a significantly less drop in issues. So I do strongly recommend to begin with this if you want less stress. 

A personal tip of mine to get the most accurate size with the property, or even location for the windows or doors etc. I use either use a metallic baseball mat and send it to the sky, or use a longtrim and sent that up to the roof too. This allows you to figure where the walls meet, where your door(s) will be. You can always delete these once you have placed the wall, floor, doors or whichever. 

Let's talk about Mapping... How to do it? 

Sometimes mapping can be as simple as placing a wall, or door. Granted, that sounds simpler than it is. There won't always be an ''easy'' way into mapping, I won't try deny that. So to those attempting, those who do and even those who do others away from mapping I salute you! 

So, if you are new to mapping and want to ensure you are getting dead on 90 degree angles.. There is always ''Angle Tool'' - It shows the different degrees, VERY similar to a protractor but it just goes all the way around instead of half way. It shows [0] [90] [180] [90], these allow us to tell if it is as at the right angle. A image will be attached to show what it will look like if it is at 90 degrees - Proving to be the right rotation for that time (Helps provide the most accuracy with mapping) 

Reference Image: https://imgur.com/a/YekR8VN

Now on to the more painful part (Joking of course!), the actual mapping. So as the commands show above, you can either use /sf [item] or go another route. This being via the Personal Assistant. 

To find how to manage the property furniture (Which is what you will need to be able to map), you will need to press '' I '' in-game, scroll to roughly page 3 (Don't quote as it can change), you will be looking for ''Manage Property Furniture'', if you press enter you will be greeted by six different things: 

1. ''Buy Furniture'' - This will allow you to search through the large amount of furniture we have on the server! They are organized into their own areas, for example: Couches, beds, appliances.  You can also purchase furniture through this way by selecting an item and pressing enter. 

2. ''Manage Furniture'' - This feature is to go through items you've already placed or had placed in your current interior. It will show in a white outlined box when highlighting the item in question. 

Example: https://imgur.com/a/P1vsuv6

3. ''Manage Furniture (Click Mode)'' - This feature allows you to click on the furniture item in question (For example a wall) and allow you to move without having to do a prolonged search for that furniture piece. 

4. ''Search a furniture'' - Slightly self-explanatory, this will just inform you in chat of ''Use searchf to search a furniture by its name!'', which helps by referring to the commands above for useful ones! 

5. ''Finish Furnishing'' - If and when you click this, this will trigger a reload of the current interior. Allowing it to refresh and update to the server properly. 

6. ''Back'' - This will just bring you back to the 'Personal Assistant' menu. 

Righty, now the above is explained.. Let's dive in further. 

Once you spawn the furniture of choice, you can either use the arrow keys [ < and > ] or use ''W'' ''S'' (This allows you to go up and down, or rotate if you press ''R'' but we'll dive into that more soon.) As you are moving the furniture item in question, you can keep the furniture item in the rotation it is  already set in or you can use the ''Sharp Rotation'', which will allow you to move the item to a 45 degree angle, repeating this process will eventually allow you to move it 45 degrees each time until you reach the point you are happiest with. 

Alternatively, you can use the /furnrotation command. (This is explained above in the helpful commands with an example to help you understand.)  After doing this, you can press the ''Enter'' button on your keyboard. This essentially saves it into it's place. If you wanted to repeat the item you have just placed, you can use the ''Duplicate'' command and repeat the above. Repeating with the keys of choice (Arrows or W/S keys) will allow you to move it to the next desired choice. You can repeat this until you want to change the rotation. 

(Please note: If using the duplicate command, it will duplicate in the exact same spot UNLESS you are in mapping mode (F5) - It will then spawn where you are in mapping mode rather than in the position it once was.) 

At this point, you can use 'Sharp Rotation' which will show you either -

''Sharp X Rotation'' 

''Sharp Y Rotation'' 

''Sharp Z Rotation''

If you press any of the above twice, it /should/ end up turning a full 90 degrees.

This commands allows the furniture to turn at 45 degree angle each time. 

Using the above will help you begin a shell for your property, whether it's a residential property or a business. For easier purposes, you can also copy both the rotation and position again and move the furniture item that way. If / when you have space for the window - You can always use an easy item already set which is ''Framed Window'' (This comes in four different colours.) and will be the easiest option for windows whilst you are learning the basics. Eventually repeating the instructions above (Duplicating and moving it along, as well as rotation) it will help towards building a basic shell for your property. 

As for a roof, you can either use a floor (This allows a large space to cover, helpful at times) or roof(001-003). These are helpful, however sometimes dependant on the light you may have to raise another roof on top to block out the light that shouldn't be there. 

(Another random note! If walls look ''invisible'' or you can see light shining through the walls - Please /reloadprop and this *should* fix it but don't quote me!

If and when the basic shell is completed, you can repeat the above to create an inside shell leading to any bedrooms, bathrooms or offices etc. Once these are done you can look into the different furniture items. The different commands or keys above will help you create your own interior. 

Upon placing doors, you will need to place a door handle or door lock in order to open the door. In the Helpful links above you will find a ''Lockable doors'' thread - This will allow you have an easier way with mapping in a door rather than struggling to test each and every door known. 

Any questions you can ask below in the comments, ask in the property management discord or reach out via Forum PM and we'd be happy to help (If we know the answer) 
Enjoy mapping! 🙂

Edited by Spudette
  • Upvote 16
  • Thanks 6
  • Applaud 8
  • Selena pinned this topic
1 minute ago, AgentQ said:

Amazing ❤️

Also I might update the floorlist to contain walls at some point 

Thank you and brill if so! If you let me know and I can always update. 🙂 Thank you for your work into it. ❤️ 

Just now, ROSG said:

Thank you! We’ve struggled through many mapping projects that this topic would have made a lot easier. 

I'm glad it'll help, It's been long due! I could've used it when I first started too lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Br0ke changed the title to [Mapping] Beginners guide to Mapping