Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

Just now, mr. baller said:

you can type all you want when someone rps handcuffing you, but all it does is serve to stall a scene that should take 5 minutes tops into an ordeal that could be 15=20 mins. respectfully i aint reading all that and that's my right. find people who like longer emotes and rp with them, don't subject every random person you meet to paragraphs on paragraphs of how your skin glistens in the sun or how the light bounces off your crystal blue eyes, cause respectfully, most people don't give a shit.

Okay.

Let's play that out.

/me handcuffs John Smith. (RESIST?)

[John Smith] doesn't resist.

So. What's the point of that. Like, you brought this up. You tell me. You convince me. Pretend that I don't know anything about roleplay, or writing, or that I've never even heard of GTA before. Because, to both a laymen or veteran of this trade... It sounds as though the chatbox is a hinderance. That, it just seems an absolute annoying factor. It begs the question... Why even fucking write anything to begin with. If your answer is "because in the rules it says you have to type (...)", that's not an answer. That's meaningless. And crude.

You tell me how that type of RP is meaningful, and I'll eat my shorts.

The replies from some individual(s) in this thread also kinda show why a lot of people shy away from them. I do think you should take some constructive criticism and change your ways if you want people to react differently to you. Kinda feels like these people are creating the stigma or just reinforcing it by their attitudes here.

• Upvote 5
5 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

Okay.

Let's play that out.

/me handcuffs John Smith. (RESIST?)

[John Smith] doesn't resist.

So. What's the point of that. Like, you brought this up. You tell me. You convince me. Pretend that I don't know anything about roleplay, or writing, or that I've never even heard of GTA before. Because, to both a laymen or veteran of this trade... It sounds as though the chatbox is a hinderance. That, it just seems an absolute annoying factor. It begs the question... Why even fucking write anything to begin with. If your answer is "because in the rules it says you have to type (...)", that's not an answer. That's meaningless. And crude.

You tell me how that type of RP is meaningful, and I'll eat my shorts.

it serves to contribute to a larger scene that impacts more characters than just 2. keeps things flowing for everyone involved rather than people on the sidelines having to sit and watch a proverbial battle of vocabularies speed by in the chat box. this discussion is pointless cause you're not gonna change anyone from the other camp's opinion and they're not gonna change yours, probably good to stop wasting energy on it now before it consumes even more time.

also, i really couldn't care less if you're a veteran of the roleplay wars. i don't know you and don't like how you talk to people, so i'm not gonna subject myself to reading your essays every time someone calls your character a mean word

4 minutes ago, Martyn said:

The replies from some individual(s) in this thread also kinda show why a lot of people shy away from them. I do think you should take some constructive criticism and change your ways if you want people to react differently to you. Kinda feels like these people are creating the stigma or just reinforcing it by their attitudes here.

facts

Edited by mr. baller
  • Upvote 1

The love of writing and encouraging others to write well isn't pretentious.

It's pretentious to call that pretentious. It's pretentious to say that it's a form of "stalling", or that it's like "smelling one's own farts". It's an art. And whether or not you admit it, you're contributing to that art one way or another. Why not try and make that art something gorgeous? Why is it so "cool" not to care? It fascinates me, that like, considering the amount of time most people spend playing GTAW, that this is the overall consensus. Essentially, what that tells me... Is you're boasting about spending hours upon hours on a writing game, but don't care for writing. And, it's fun because...?

Also, obviously tone gets lost in writing words - especially on the forum. People assume I'm sit here, smug, smoking a pipe and glowering over the text as if I'm here to put anyone down. I'm not. I'm simply acknowledging that this is a writing game. I'm acknowledging that there's a lack of effort in people's writing. And bringing up this topic shouldn't be met with so much hatred or spite or resistance - but it does.

If you're not going to put "power" behind the firewall of being an avid writer, and instead put it behind gameplay features, you're asking for the majority of the player-base to not care about what's on that page. Again, it seems to me that all the resistance comes from a deeper, rooted sense of pride, based solely off the fact that if we were to acknowledge quality of writing as valuable, perhaps more valuable than assets or gameplay design (ie: how good of a shot you are), then it threatens everything people hold dear.

And that, right there, is so, so, so sad.

Because, there's really, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, a much better, more rewarding experience that awaits - beyond the script items. If you're frustrated with certain events, or characters, or how something had played out. Or, you're frustrated with red tape, or certain aspects of your time spent playing... I can safely assume that 99%-%100 of that disgruntlement is based off quality of RP. 

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to learn how to write. I love writing. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to provide detail. I eat that shit up. There's nothing wrong with providing people with a sense of belonging and worth that has nothing to do with in-game assets. I pray that others feel the same.

So, yeah. If we're pretentious... As "avid writers" or "paragraph RPers", what the fuck does that make you? Cool? You're still sitting behind a computer, playing a writing game for hours and hours on end. Mind you, one of /the/ most odd, obscure and hard to talk about platforms. We're all one step away from DnDers and LARPers. Except, what, because you don't type with detail and bash people that do, you're suddenly... What, not playing the same game? That sounds like a bunch of Commy gobildy-gook.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

The love of writing and encouraging others to write well isn't pretentious.

It's pretentious to call that pretentious. It's pretentious to say that it's a form of "stalling", or that it's like "smelling one's own farts". It's an art. And whether or not you admit it, you're contributing to that art one way or another. Why not try and make that art something gorgeous? Why is it so "cool" not to care? It fascinates me, that like, considering the amount of time most people spend playing GTAW, that this is the overall consensus. Essentially, what that tells me... Is you're boasting about spending hours upon hours on a writing game, but don't care for writing. And, it's fun because...?

Also, obviously tone gets lost in writing words - especially on the forum. People assume I'm sit here, smug, smoking a pipe and glowering over the text as if I'm here to put anyone down. I'm not. I'm simply acknowledging that this is a writing game. I'm acknowledging that there's a lack of effort in people's writing. And bringing up this topic shouldn't be met with so much hatred or spite or resistance - but it does.

If you're not going to put "power" behind the firewall of being an avid writer, and instead put it behind gameplay features, you're asking for the majority of the player-base to not care about what's on that page. Again, it seems to me that all the resistance comes from a deeper, rooted sense of pride, based solely off the fact that if we were to acknowledge quality of writing as valuable, perhaps more valuable than assets or gameplay design (ie: how good of a shot you are), then it threatens everything people hold dear.

And that, right there, is so, so, so sad.

Because, there's really, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, a much better, more rewarding experience that awaits - beyond the script items. If you're frustrated with certain events, or characters, or how something had played out. Or, you're frustrated with red tape, or certain aspects of your time spent playing... I can safely assume that 99%-%100 of that disgruntlement is based off quality of RP. 

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to learn how to write. I love writing. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to provide detail. I eat that shit up. There's nothing wrong with providing people with a sense of belonging and worth that has nothing to do with in-game assets. I pray that others feel the same.

So, yeah. If we're pretentious... As "avid writers" or "paragraph RPers", what the fuck does that make you? Cool? You're still sitting behind a computer, playing a writing game for hours and hours on end. Mind you, one of /the/ most odd, obscure and hard to talk about platforms. We're all one step away from DnDers and LARPers. Except, what, because you don't type with detail and bash people that do, you're suddenly... What, not playing the same game? That sounds like a bunch of Commy gobildy-gook.

I'mma just respond to this since this is obviously in some part a response to my comment as you go on about not being pretentious while spewing a bunch of pretentiousness.

I love writing, I used to write stories quite frequently actually. I've even done fluff and paragraph RP and enjoyed it but it's literally all about the time, place and setting which is what 90% of what people on this thread have said but trying to "discuss" with you is literally like talking to a brick wall and honestly? I think my favourite part about this thread is it's whining about how no one accepts you or this style of roleplay, meanwhile you sit here and shit on others for doing things differently than you.

• Upvote 1

Someone who can combine and mix / switch anims on the fly, hit quick /me's that give good description without going overboard, and let their dialogue do the talking for them is what I would consider the best roleplayers on the server. No matter the situation, the circumstances or how fast the scene is, they're always putting that little effort in.