Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

Well firstly, not everyone "frowns upon" it.  I have no problem with detailed emotes or people putting effort into their RP.  Sometimes I admire it and it makes me up my game a little if I see the other person is putting detail into their RP.  But you have to understand that this is Grand Theft Auto and that this attracts a whole range of people to it.   SOME people are here for heavy RP yes.  But others are here for action, shootings and to "win".  Essentially they are here for pvp and the RP is just something they "have to abide by" as part of that.  Evidence being, we need rules which force people to do emotes for certain actions and countless reports about powergaming.  These people want to read a snappy, simple emote.  And they WILL mock you in /b if you try to write something "fancy".  It's just how it is and you're not the only victim.  People get mocked for being "mall rats", "ERPers", "(M)s" or whatever else.  SO yeah, the TLDR answer to "why do people frown upon it" is because your expectation of heavy RP does not match their's and that the general culture of the server is to mock people rather than respect differences.

• Upvote 1

I think for me personally, I enjoy RPing with those who write in this style, if it's a quiet scene, a few people etc - then go for it,  but in particular places, where chat is moving fast (clubs, public events etc) it can sometimes be a struggle to keep up with what is going on, due to the pace of chat.

Overall, a good para RPer can fill the gaps that animations can't fill, but one of my pet hates, is when players describe inner thoughts, and the room all become mind readers. I would prefer emotes over the body language a character may be portraying due to the thoughts, rather then the direct thoughts themselves.

Edited by Welsh
  • Upvote 2

I think, in the end it's all about the environment. Usually, in illegal RP, you don't have time to write paragraphs because bullets are surely faster than your typing speed. Also, in legal / casual RP, it depends a lot where you are. If you're in a crowded area, full of people and with the chat going crazy at 3 - 4 lines per second, people will probably forget what your last line was in the time it takes you to write the new one. Other than that, I believe it's also a matter of how quick you type those paragraphs. If you spend 5-6 minutes for a line and make a casual "hello, how are you" type of interaction go from 3 minutes to 30 and just have 5 lines of chat, yet again it's bothersome.

I think it should all be about mutual respect and understanding of eachother's styles. If you're a para-rp'er and you see the guy next to you answer with a medium-length emote in 10-20 seconds, you should make a bit of an effort to keep up. If the other person is also a para-rp'er and writes paragraphs and takes their time for it? By all means, go crazy. Have fun. Describe even the tiniest of details. 

Edited by Andrew Brandenburg

It is however never cool to be insulting people in /b.

Don't mock people for their roleplay choice, if they are not breaking the rules and you find what they are doing lame. Just make a mental note to not interact with them. It doesn't matter how much of a cliche cringe meme they are. 

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 8
6 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

ARMA RPers is people with a fetish for guns and MILRP, GTA RPers are just DMers, those who play in SS13 are just in it for the ERP with alien species, and World of Warcraft RPers... we all know what is said about them

I've roleplayed on all 4 platforms, what does that make me?  A jack of all trades, master of... questionable hobbies?