Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

1 minute ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

I don't need to write about how the bullets of my assault rifle ripple through the air, creating a crack and snap as the bullets whiz past your head to impact the concrete wall behind you, creating a storm of dust and falling debris. Like yeah it's a cool description, but in certain situations there are reasons for being shorter and that's just the facts of the situation. 

You used bullets twice in the same sentence, I can teach you if need be. Have you considered the use of "projectiles" perhaps? Maybe a more poetic "flying lead"?

sarcasm intended in this post

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

You used bullets twice in the same sentence, I can teach you if need be. Have you considered the use of "projectiles" perhaps? Maybe a more poetic "flying lead"?

sarcasm intended in this post

Exactly the point lol. These are human beings writing in the moment to the best of their ability. The book you pick up off the shelf has had multiple pass overs from editors, agents, beta readers, and so on. It's crazy to judge people over what is essentially first draft writing in the moment. It's just a hobby and that's why it seems so pretentious to judge people over something that people find fun.

Edited by CowboyYoda22
2 minutes ago, Koko said:

I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're reaching an erroneous conclusion: if say someone literally pulls a gun to your head and robs you, their intent is for the event to happen quickly so they can extract themselves from the scene safely. For them, the risk of engaging in a short-form essay on the psychology of trauma might entail the perpetual loss of their character if caught because they had to sit through 3 minutes of emoting how someone empties their pockets.

If they get caught by a police officer at any point during that interaction, it could mean severe and permanent consequences, so their best interest is to keep it short, as it would be in real life, and not so much the fact that they're imposing this personally on anyone. Their storyline is just a lot more frantic than yours at that moment and they need to get out. It doesn't necessarily speak to their ability to write in other contexts.

Oh, absolutely. 100% agree that it's a direct consequence of why people play to this extent. I'm just saying, it's not really fun for anyone. Or, if it is, I guess I just don't understand how or why you'd play a writing game and not want to write. And that applies to police as well, or anyone who's gotten lost at sea, considering the scale and pacing. The fact of the matter is, if narrative was at the forefront of people's minds, people would be less paranoid, more communicative, and overall a cooperative community.

4 minutes ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

We are roleplaying with the use of text and in game mechanics, which help enforce the idea that shorter fast paced action. I enjoy writing to the 250/250 character limit, with an overflow into a /do, but if the action is something that can happen through in game mechanics, there is little to no need to write it out in a way that that will only have a negative outcome of the situation. 

I don't need to write about how the bullets of my assault rifle ripple through the air, creating a crack and snap as the bullets whiz past your head to impact the concrete wall behind you, creating a storm of dust and falling debris. Like yeah it's a cool description, but in certain situations there are reasons for being shorter and that's just the facts of the situation. 

Even Tolkien himself spent little time on writing out large descriptions about actions and battles. Most readers find these things hard to follow and keep track of in their mind. It's why, the more important aspect of the RP should be the aftermath of certain outcomes and situations. If you're looking to write something containing literary devices and standard novelization then you should go write a book. 

Roleplaying is not the same as writing a novel, not in the slightest. The only mutual thing the two share are text. 

You may not need to do anything. By way of the rules, I just need to type /me starts lockpicking to pass the standard. Yet, just because it doesn't serve a purpose, doesn't mean it's not fun. Painting. Dancing. Music. Writing. The arts are to be played. And while you may not /need/ to write those descriptions, maybe it's just a form of meditation and practice to do so, anyways?

I'm not telling anyone what to do, what to say, what to write. Yet, acknowledging that the way in which people RP on GTAW, and the OP's point of question to where are the players who write this way, and why is it stigmatized? Well, that's really the main topic here. It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad, that obviously we're cut of the same cloth, but at ends with one another - and I can't understand why. It's not wrong to have an opinion about writing. This love affair. This rewarding practice of reading and writing. Games are meant to be played; and for sport, not for /serious/ purpose. And so often we've forsaken the joys of this platform -- and what makes it worth while. At least, that's my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

Oh, absolutely. 100% agree that it's a direct consequence of why people play to this extent. I'm just saying, it's not really fun for anyone. Or, if it is, I guess I just don't understand how or why you'd play a writing game and not want to write. And that applies to police as well, or anyone who's gotten lost at sea, considering the scale and pacing. The fact of the matter is, if narrative was at the forefront of people's minds, people would be less paranoid, more communicative, and overall a cooperative community.

You may not need to do anything. By way of the rules, I just need to type /me starts lockpicking to pass the standard. Yet, just because it doesn't serve a purpose, doesn't mean it's not fun. Painting. Dancing. Music. Writing. The arts are to be played. And while you may not /need/ to write those descriptions, maybe it's just a form of meditation and practice to do so, anyways?

I'm not telling anyone what to do, what to say, what to write. Yet, acknowledging that the way in which people RP on GTAW, and the OP's point of question to where are the players who write this way, and why is it stigmatized? Well, that's really the main topic here. It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad, that obviously we're cut of the same cloth, but at ends with one another - and I can't understand why. It's not wrong to have an opinion about writing. This love affair. This rewarding practice of reading and writing. Games are meant to be played; and for sport, not for /serious/ purpose. And so often we've forsaken the joys of this platform -- and what makes it worth while. At least, that's my opinion.

Everything can be rooted down to the purpose of the game. You open your mind when you realize that the reason why you play this game isn’t uniform. People play GTA W for many different reasons, in many different ways. The way you experience or perceive the game isn’t necessarily the same for the person you encounter. That’s the beauty of it. 

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

Everything can be rooted down to the purpose of the game. You open your mind when you realize that the reason why you play this game isn’t uniform. People play GTA W for many different reasons, in many different ways. The way you experience or perceive the game isn’t necessarily the same for the person you encounter. That’s the beauty of it. 

I struggle to find the beauty of one-liner /me's that lack any color.

No matter what, you're submitting something to that box of text, the /actual/ game that we're playing. It's my opinion that it should be done with love and care. That's not a big ask, especially on a platform that's entire gameplay is /within/ that box of text. It /is/ a reading and writing game. There's just no two ways about it. If by any chance, you're suggesting that it's not, it only further proves that there's a disassociation and fascinating mindset that is in denial of what game people are actually playing.

Any player who complain about people emoting (long or short) are in the wrong. End of. 

You are in a highly graphic, high animation server so people are mostly using dialogue, it is more fast paced, but they (your attackers) at the end of the day logged into the heavy rolepay text server. 

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Vice_ said:

I struggle to find the beauty of one-liner /me's that lack any color.

No matter what, you're submitting something to that box of text, the /actual/ game that we're playing. It's my opinion that it should be done with love and care. That's not a big ask, especially on a platform that's entire gameplay is /within/ that box of text. It /is/ a reading and writing game. There's just no two ways about it. If by any chance, you're suggesting that it's not, it only further proves that there's a disassociation and fascinating mindset that is in denial of what game people are actually playing.

When you join communities on the platforms I mentioned in my first post you typically apply into very strict niches where there’s one singular form. Paragraph roleplay communities especially. Much like forum roleplay there are strict conduct guidelines and writing rules/procedures. We don’t have that on GTA W, there’s freedom to (co)exist on a wide spectrum which gives us our playerbase. If we decided to conform to a singular school we’d have a server of maybe 80 players at peak instead of the 800+

That freedom means a rich community where you’re exposed to many different people, very interesting people, some people here I’ve known for over 17 years. You learn plenty about roleplay and you too can learn to respect and appreciate other styles. One line roleplayers, or goblin brains as you so dismissively describe them, can also have very complex and multi layered characters. But much like real life, you don’t always see the hurt, joy and struggles behind their eyes. You’ll have to actually get to know these people, they don’t expose their entire being in noir fashion. And yes, there’s plenty of “goblins” out there, but if you push off everyone who doesn’t see the world the way you see it you might as wel lock yourself in a room with a typewriter. 

9 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

When you join communities on the platforms I mentioned in my first post you typically apply into very strict niches where there’s one singular form. Paragraph roleplay communities especially. Much like forum roleplay there are strict conduct guidelines and writing rules/procedures. We don’t have that on GTA W, there’s freedom to (co)exist on a wide spectrum which gives us our playerbase. If we decided to conform to a singular school we’d have a server of maybe 80 players at peak instead of the 800+

That freedom means a rich community where you’re exposed to many different people, very interesting people, some people here I’ve known for over 17 years. You learn plenty about roleplay and you too can learn to respect and appreciate other styles. One line roleplayers, or goblin brains as you so dismissively describe them, can also have very complex and multi layered characters. But much like real life, you don’t always see the hurt, joy and struggles behind their eyes. You’ll have to actually get to know these people, they don’t expose their entire being in noir fashion. And yes, there’s plenty of “goblins” out there, but if you push off everyone who doesn’t see the world the way you see it you might as wel lock yourself in a room with a typewriter. 

Yeah, but, you don't know me. I /do/ associate and coexist with players that don't type in the same fashion. I've also been playing on this platform (third-person, objective-narrative writing) for almost 20 years and I can tell who wants to tell a story; and who doesn't. This thread isn't about blaming those players, because we're upset -- because we're not. If anything, the only thing I find upsetting is that a thread like this can easily be a spark to flame "what a fucking douche bag bitch, telling us how to play." -- when in reality, we're in the minority. By we, I mean, storytellers. They come in all varieties and have all varieties of vocabulary. 

And as far as "teaching" players how to write? It's not the act of shoving it down someone's throat. It's extending an olive branch, to Mr. Miyagi someone through playing with them. That's all it is. And it's cool, homie. It's fun to write. Except, what's not fun is having to defend a love for exploring literary devices on a game based on literature.

Edited by Vice_
2 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

writing long /mes just to write long /mes is kinda unnecessary in my opinion, why type out something in 250 characters when i can type it in 50? it just delays the roleplay speed for everyone, making a situation that should be 5 minutes, become 15

Yeah, but no one said that long /me's are well-written /me's, or the best /me's.

And as for the time? What else are you doing with your time?