How Can I Portray A Hacker?

elknotch

9 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

Isn't it ironically the biggest part of hacking isn't done on a computer, its the social engineering involved to deliver your payload to the target. Either by using the old fashioned hi-vis tactic if your target is blue collar or adapting depending on target. Phishing links etc whilst "effective" they kinda aren't when you consider just the RAW amount have to be sent out to land a mark, but if your able to blag your way into a venue you get a direct way of getting your software on their pc's without immediately flagging the alarm bells like emails do. 

Yep, essentially. So much of it is a social crime. You really need to study and understand your target in order to be effective. 

If you're doing targets against a corporation or something large scale you need to have some serious research and analysis to figure out the best vector to attack. 

Unfortunately there's not much consideration or information on these systems in our GTAW businesses, because there's little need to know it. 

You also would most likely not be targeting businesses around where you live. You might also want to consider working with a team. 

One potential interesting idea I've always had was using skimmer script items as essentially payload devices connected to the bank ATM to deploy malicious python code, etc. You'd still get your low cash, you could have runners doing the risk for you, the ring leader is essentially managing the local runner crews and sends a portion of the cash through wire transfers or crypto to the larger international money laundering organization that has the network and capabilities to provide the hacked software or access into the bank systems. 

This could justify the low returns on money from the scheme, while also providing a somewhat modern technique that still goes on. But I don't know if IFM would allow you to portray your skimmers on such a way.

Edited by CowboyYoda22
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so honestly I once wanted to RP that type of character. Luckily, I had a plan to start this kind of development. So, based on my really basic knowledge about hacking today's world and technology is making it easy for hackers to do whatever they like. For example, to be able to understand the hacking techniques. You will need to have a basic idea about networking and some coding, mostly python or C#. Also, you need to know some algorithms to approach this kind of RP, it's really a nice idea. Like why don't you start by making some Spy items like spy camera, and also try to learn how ransomware is designed, and also how to create some virus. Most types of hacking happen through a famous operating system called Kali Linux, this OS is considered to be the Hacker's heaven. Try to learn some basic software that is used for this type of hacking. Also, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube that can teach you how to use different tools like Wire shark, and other tools. From there you can start to do the RP and if you know your things you can request an item request or a scheme to be able to do that kind of RP. Trust me, simple tutorials on ethical hacking and other tools will be a good start. Besides, I advice you to focus on one or two types of hacking that you can do. And learning how Ethical Hacking works will help you to understand how to use hacking tools incorrectly. Also, you will need to learn the vulnerabilities that any system has to be able to have a back door, because most of hacking happens through the vulnerabilities that any IT system has, like at the end the computer systems are done by humans, and there are always some vulnerabilities maybe they are small but a good place to start.

Edited by Woozyarth
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is a relatively old thread, however there has been a plethora of additions into the script.

As your character is a technician the progression wouldn't necessarily lead to skimmers etc as this is solely for monetary gain and your character would be relatively well set up with a stable job etc with this skill set. 

Despite this, your RP should never really be limited if things go in-character.

You could go about selling "dodgy boxes" (these are to bypass restricted TV channels) for example. There is always engineering based RP available where you could go down, you just have to research into it a little. 

There is an electrical scheme open that you could apply for, if your character was to dip their toe into the field of a more engineering role you could go about cracking phone codes for pawn shops to resell them unlocked etc. 

• 1 month later...