How Can I Portray A Hacker?

elknotch

I am still in the process of building my character to the point that he'd be considered a hacker, however, I want to see how I could efficiently portray such a character. I know that from Nervous' post under the card skimmer thread, hackers will never have a job, but I don't mind not having the abilities that could be at the detriment of the server. I simply want to know my options for things that are currently in-game & wouldn't come off as power gaming either.

The character in question is a technician, so he can only perform hacks on certain electrical devices while in-person (nothing that is regarded as cyber). I appreciate all the ideas under this thread!

I once encountered a cim on an ATM politely pointing out some sort of skim RP having taken place and asked to transfer money if used, which I did. So there’s that. Other than that everything I’ve ever found was cyber based. But everything always requires the participation of you as a player. So all in all I’m pretty sure if you rig something up and leave a way for people to “pay” you you’ll find that most are more than willing to do so. 

• Thanks 1

When I was rather new to the server, this character messaged me on Facebrowser with a link to a Facebrowser page. I clicked it because why not. He then messaged that I had been hacked and that he'd stolen lots of money from my characters account.

As an experienced player I would now have told him no, but as a new players it was quite the unpleasant experienced. It felt forced and one sided and there was no roleplay to be gained from it from my end. I didn't know what to do, or how to respond. 

If you plan to rob players, you need consent and for them to be onboard, because there is no roleplay in it for a "victim" to just be told they have been "hacked" and now need to transfer money. But as eTaylor said, with consent you might find some people quite happy to work with you.

Edited by Natala
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cartoonhead said:

Disabling alarms i think is a possibility so long as that char has that skillset, i don't think getting into police scanners is a thing but best to ask an ifm/Lfm admin directly

Nah this ain’t allowed by IFM.

• Upvote 1