The new leasing system and its potential issues

Hello! 

Ever since the leasing system got announced, I was concerned about a few things coming with it. 

One's the ability to lease any vehicle for a low price, no matter the age of your character. While yes, you could report people abusing this, certain minor characters could very easily lease a cheap high end vehicle to commit crime of any sort and return it after said crime is done with. 

Two, per the penal code, you do not need a license to drive a leased car (at least as of right now), this is also very concerning and heavily unrealistic as nobody would be able to lease a vehicle without any permits.

And last but not least, the leasing system will very likely kill any sort of RP in regards to player owned dealerships. As in the past, the big benefit of said used car dealers was being able to purchase a modded car for cheaper than it would be getting it new. However, if you can lease the car you want for barely any money? I highly doubt many people will use player owned dealerships, which in the long run may ruin RP for certain players.

What are your thoughts on the new system? Perhaps PM and management are already tackling these issues and will work on them before releasing it fully! Please stay respectful 🙂 

Edited by HappyGecko
  • Upvote 1

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from the screenshot in the changelog, I'm concerned that $5,000 per month for a $1,000,000 car means literally anyone can buy a supercar. The monthly payments should be a % of the total value, to at least try and combat brand new players picking up a sports car on their first paycheck.

Also, with $5,000 per month for a $1,000,000 car, that means it won't be paid off for 200 months which is 16 years.  I wish I could get that sort of loan in real life! Perhaps cars over a certain value cannot be leased?

Edited by Nicola
  • Upvote 2
Just now, Nicola said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from the screenshot in the changelog, I'm concerned that $5,000 per month for a $1,000,000 car means literally anyone can buy a supercar. The monthly payments should be a % of the total value, to at least try and combat brand new players picking up a sports car on their first paycheck.

I believe that was just an example SS, they are still figuring out the pricing.

• Developer
1 minute ago, Nicola said:

Also, with $5,000 per month for a $1,000,000 car, that means it won't be paid off for 200 months which is 16 years.  I wish I could get that sort of loan in real life! Perhaps cars over a certain value cannot be leased?

It was just an example - every car lease monthly price will be set by PM manually.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Then how can we know it will be an issue that leasing prices will be 'low', as you put it?

Take the Torrence for example. A car cheap by nature. I can not imagine the lease cost will be a lot of money. The Torrence already being overused will only be more present. (This is just an example)

My primary concern is that the lease should hard-block people without licenses/who are underage from leasing. No car lease company is going to lease a car to a minor without a license. I would find it exceptionally silly if this were allowed. Hopefully this has been blocked.

Car leasing companies also only allow you to rent certain cars if you're above a certain age. I doubt you'd be able to lease something highly expensive and dangerous under 30, let alone 25, or at 21. Maybe the developers can implement a similar system to at least have some restrictions in the leasing system?

Some factions & businesses pay regular players more script wise which makes me doubt how many players will be leasing a sports car in the dealership, but according to Selena it will be monitored by PM and RPQM on the ucp or something as they will be notified, if i read it correctly on discord.

I feel like car sales will drastically drop on the server if you can afford to lease the car you want for months, and pretty sure you can tune it, unless PM puts a barrier on that. However I just hope that the lease prices aren't too cheap for any normal player to afford an expensive car in the dealership.