Graffiti on police stations

Paenymion

Paddy makes some excellent points here. Yes, this is likely indicative of poor roleplay, but these are also the same people that get into shootouts over the last piece of gum and what have you. This can be traced back to a much deeper issue that needs to be looked into/stamped out. Posting about honestly, one of their lesser sleights to the roleplay as a whole isn't really worth anyone's time to be honest.

If some text on a wall affects your immersion that desperately, I'm concerned.

i dont mind people vandalizing police cars or police stations. happens irl pretty much everywhere not just america even though you'll likely to be caught eventually. crime free zones were introduced to stop bullshit roleplay from happening such as subpar robberies or stupid shootouts. petty crime such as vandalism or idk stealing a purse shouldn't be restricted from happening as long as its well roleplayed. i mean bruh even in europe police stations have graffiti on them. though here if you are caught you will receive a fine so big you'll hate your life for the next 5 years.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/06/04/police-station-downtown-santa-cruz-vandalized-following-protest/

my only issue is the absurd placement of the graffiti

I personally feel like this is such a non issue. Perhaps, you could get it removed IC and use the CCTV next time to catch the culprit if you're really that invested into this. Call public works and get their help to get this graffiti out.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

It's interesting to see such sharp contrasts in point of view when it comes to something as innocuous as graffiti.

Ultimately I think there are points for and against graffiti on Police Stations. Yes, from a realistic standpoint, there's a high possibility that somebody could see you doing it. The flip side however is that there is no guarantee that you would be detained. Even then, the graffiti in question would still exist if you were caught, so I'm not entirely sold on the "realistically you would be caught" argument.

As for the argument about the police stations being crime free zones: I agree to an extent, but again you haven't totally won me over there. If you cast your mind back to many moons ago (and even to other communities on older games, if you were to be so bold!) crime free zones were introduced in a deterrent to robberies happening in silly places, or bloodbath shootouts happening in malls or banks. While it's true that vandalism is a crime, I'm not convinced it falls within the "spirit" of the crime free zone, and I personally would be inclined to keep that IC, keeping in mind why such zones were brought in.

And to briefly tackle the unreachable areas argument; if somebody RPs bringing a ladder with them, they RP bringing a ladder with them. I don't personally have an issue with that.

Ultimately, this is one of those things that will annoy you on an OOC basis if you allow it to. Me? I'll take things as they come. I am not going to get my frillys in a twist over some spraypaint.

Pretty well said tbh, not disagreeing that there shouldn't be grafitti on police stations but I very VERY much doubt whoever did these examples roleplayed any of that, let alone thought about the consequences. It was probably done in the off-hours when few were online to catch them do it, even though they would be caught there's no way of telling who did it. Because of that and  the stupidity of the placement of these I'm going to say these examples do fall within the crime free zone rule due to the likely element of powergaming here. If it was more discreet, I honestly wouldn't have an issue. 

1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

Pretty well said tbh, not disagreeing that there shouldn't be grafitti on police stations but I very VERY much doubt whoever did these examples roleplayed any of that, let alone thought about the consequences. It was probably done in the off-hours when few were online to catch them do it, even though they would be caught there's no way of telling who did it. Because of that and  the stupidity of the placement of these I'm going to say these examples do fall within the crime free zone rule due to the likely element of powergaming here. If it was more discreet, I honestly wouldn't have an issue. 

Perhaps there is something to be said about poor quality roleplay execution in general, but I think we should tackle it as poor quality roleplay execution, rather than simply stamping it with the no crime zone stamp of disapproval and not actually explaining to people why we're not keen on it. Graffiti is creative expression both IC and OOC, and if we out right say "wrong place, bad", we aren't helping people develop properly.

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Invictus said:

i dont mind people vandalizing police cars or police stations. happens irl pretty much everywhere not just america even though you'll likely to be caught eventually. crime free zones were introduced to stop bullshit roleplay from happening such as subpar robberies or stupid shootouts. petty crime such as vandalism or idk stealing a purse shouldn't be restricted from happening as long as its well roleplayed. i mean bruh even in europe police stations have graffiti on them. though here if you are caught you will receive a fine so big you'll hate your life for the next 5 years.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/06/04/police-station-downtown-santa-cruz-vandalized-following-protest/

my only issue is the absurd placement of the graffiti

The key to that link is "following protest"