[BLOG] Famous lawyer Gilbane takes Specter's case, PD's lawyer Pearson visibly displeased; tries to get him disqualified on conflict of interest basis

LOS SANTOS, SA - Civil case Oliver Specter v. LSPD became quite popular amongst the citizens of Los Santos, widely followed and displayed in the media. A reminder, Police Officer II Oliver Specter resigned from his position and initiated a lawsuit against his former employer, the Los Santos Police Department. Mr. Specter is claiming that he has been a victim of Harassment/Hostile work environment and emotional distress due to verbal abuse directed at him by the Chief of Police Dwayne Burke, supervisors and several senior officers. 

LrtpEN7.png

Judge Louis Hampton

"The defendant would like to submit a motion to dismiss this case after conducting an internal investigation and reviewing the petition put forward. With respect to opposing counsel, this petition has no merit to it." started off Police Attorney Rachel Pearson in the courtroom. After several back-and-forth arguments between the defendant and the plaintiff, Honorable Justice Louis Hampton, presiding the controversial case, opposite to popular belief and expectations, denied the motion to dismiss and granted a trial.

"I believe there is a prima facie case for the torts of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress and Harassment. There was a lot of discussion - a lot of unnecessary discussion - about evidence at this stage, and I cannot really take any of it into account at this point of the litigation. Therefore, I will deny the Defendant's motion to dismiss. We need to figure out who's truthful and who's not via a trial.", said Honorable Hampton in the courtroom. He then suggested to the plaintiff to stop representing himself and find a new attorney to represent him, after Specter's original attorneys withdrew from the case. 

"Thank you, Your Honor. I'll listen to your advice and try to find an attorney again, but considering how it went previous time, as I stated, every lawyer gave up upon hearing that the case is against the LSPD, or too expensive, or too busy, I can't promise anything. I've gotten praises, nice wishes and congratulations in private, as well as compliments that I've got a solid case, but barely anyone even believed that the Judge would approve trial even, considering that it's against the LSPD. So it's success enough that you, Your Honor, decided to grant it. And allow me to tell you this, Your Honor. I may be inexperienced in this courtroom, I've never been in court before, I'm an ordinary individual who has been wronged. I'm just trying to fight for justice here, because my dignity and emotional health has suffered due to the harassment and workplace bullying. Furthermore, I am not trying to make a mockery of this court, as Miss Rachel Pearson stated earlier. I've spent time to learn about stuff, so I don't do some mistake unintentionally. But one can learn so much in such little period of time. And being a police officer was my whole life. So anyway, please grant another 72 hour recess so I can use that time to try to find an attorney who will have the courage, time and empathy when it comes to my financial situation, to represent me against the LSPD.", said Mr. Specter in the courtroom.

"I’ll grant you all the time you need, Mr. Specter, as long as you’re doing your due diligence. This isn’t a criminal trial, so there is no speedy trial issue, and you appropriately filed this action within the statute of limitations, so we have plenty of time.", replied Judge Hampton, displaying upmost empathy for this ex police officer, which caused citizens from all around Los Santos to applaud the Judge's actions. 

"His Honor Louis Hampton is a light of hope and a great example of humility in such times", "I hope this becomes a warning to the employers who think they're above the law", "He has a big heart", "He cares about the little guy, the regular Joe", "Judge Hampton proved humanity bu giving a chance to one man versus such a big agency like the LSPD, well done", were only some of the comments about the Judge.

However, the case continues it's rocky path, after famous attorney John Gilbane, from Gilbane Law Firm, walked inside the courtroom and sat next to Specter. He immediately started off vicious defense, as well as acussed the opposite council for operating in bad faith, allegedly. Police Attorney Rachel Pearson wasn't pleased from the very first moment she saw Mr. Gilbane walking in. At first she tried to present arguments, but once she failed to do so, she's now trying to get him off the case and increase her chances of winning the case, claiming conflict of interest.

"I apologise for continuing, Your Honour, but I move to have the defendant's attorney disqualified on the basis of a conflict of interest. He is currently representing officers of this department in other litigation which is a direct conflict as he is representing the plaintiff in this case that is accusing the very same department of harassment and bullying, extending to the Chief of Police. It is also highly probable that Mister Gilbane represented a defendant in the criminal courts where at some point the suspect had an interaction with the plaintiff during the course of their arrest and subsequent booking/processing.", said Ms. Pearson in the courtroom.

"She doesn't stand a chance against the gigant Gilbane, he's just way too good, that's why she motioned to get him disqualified from the case. I mean, someone like Specter who visibly didn't know much on law procedures and how to properly represent himself, managed to demolish her and get the case to trial, so imagine what Gilbane can do to her. She's just too fragile. But I understand her, she's representing the PD, it's not an option for her to lose, too much things are at stake for her, reputation-wise and just in general, her employer's expectations. I wouldn't want to be in her skin", says an attorney from Los Santos, wishing to remain annonymous. 

Author: Jackson M.

(( Posted from a VPN ))

> Comments are enabled.

Username:
Comment:

• Upvote 1