Does 991 Work?

Parade

1 hour ago, Invictus said:

overexaggerate in your call to bait a response.

did a social experiment once - i called 911 on stuff like trespassing, assault, stalking etc. and even after 20 mins nobody called or showed up. then i called 911 again saying some bs like "SHOTS FIRED" and within the next 10 seconds guess what happened? 5 patrol cars and helicopter showed up. based on my social experiment you can make your own conclusion.

+1

19 minutes ago, Stormy Monday said:

no, he is actually absolutely right. i hardly ever see people doing just normal day-to-day calls. its mainly heavy gunfire / pursuit stuff or just internal roleplay.

If you're writing tickets while your fellow cops are getting shot something's pretty weird, no? Your issue should be with LFM/IFM for allowing so many shootings on a daily basis.

5 hours ago, Invictus said:

did a social experiment once - i called 911 on stuff like trespassing, assault, stalking etc. and even after 20 mins nobody called or showed up. then i called 911 again saying some bs like "SHOTS FIRED" and within the next 10 seconds guess what happened? 5 patrol cars and helicopter showed up. based on my social experiment you can make your own conclusion.

Great way to get yourself arrested. That's illegal... 

Just to expand on that, the only thing that can spark up is an increase on arrests for misuse of emergency hotlines. It'll work at first, then arrests start being thrown left and right to discourage people from doing so, then cops get called robocops. It's the way of life... In our little e-world.

Edited by Amellis
1 hour ago, Amellis said:

Great way to get yourself arrested. That's illegal... 

Just to expand on that, the only thing that can spark up is an increase on arrests for misuse of emergency hotlines. It'll work at first, then arrests start being thrown left and right to discourage people from doing so, then cops get called robocops. It's the way of life... In our little e-world.

technically its not illegal if the emergency is actually real. irl if i have an emergency i can call as many times as i want. here if i do that i get reported and eventually kicked for spam. the way responses were back then and still are right now is pretty much robocop behavior and my social experiment confirmed that. ive only done it once and never bothered to call 911 like ever again since then.

Yeah, only misuse the hotline by saying "shots fired" or something of the type if you want to land yourself in some IC trouble, which I take it that's not your motivation due to your question content, but there are many LEOs that love roleplaying outside of the shoot-outs and pursuits (not that there is anything wrong with them); however, as you can imagine, those two situations are high priority, so some calls are likely to be missed. The departments aren't able to pick up absolutely every call in peak times because there is a lot going on or there aren't enough LEOs to meet demand.

The reason that you see LEOs in shoot-outs and pursuits a lot of the time isn't because they necessarily want to be involved in them, but more so because they are entered into the roleplay due to what the perpetrators are doing at the time. If there are shots fired, then LEOs are going to respond to that call over someone calling about how a vehicle is doing in a pursuit; it goes off of priority. The two scenarios mentioned take up a lot of the department's force because both need a certain amount of presence to either neutralise the threat, pursue the suspect(s) inside a fleeing vehicle and bring it to a stop (with potentially the use of spikes), or make a scene safe for others in the area and other factions such as LSFD, DMEC, GOV, etc.

Another issue is that all this happens through text and inside the chat box. On some scenes, particularly at peak times, you are concentrating hard on something or the text is scrolling fast inside the chat box, and you could miss the call. I know LEOs don't purposely leave calls unattended, and I believe they do a good job considering the work load; however, you are always going to have favourite scenes or situations. Personally, I love the community relations part, and I take my time out (when possible) to visit open businesses and speak with owners, workers, and clients to see how their day is going, if there are any reports to pass forward, and such, but physically, this isn't possible all the time.

Having a dispatcher or call handler could be a step towards solving this issue, which I think would be a nice implement, but as of now, it's pot luck.

8 hours ago, Invictus said:

technically its not illegal if the emergency is actually real. irl if i have an emergency i can call as many times as i want. here if i do that i get reported and eventually kicked for spam. the way responses were back then and still are right now is pretty much robocop behavior and my social experiment confirmed that. ive only done it once and never bothered to call 911 like ever again since then.

It's up to the officers responding if they want to charge you with it or not but it is illegal to bait an immediate response by overexaggerating... Even if there is an actual emergency. If you say shots fired and there's none you're liable for it. If there's only one and you describe it as plural well. Can blame it on the fear. 

On a side note though,

13 hours ago, Stormy Monday said:

no, he is actually absolutely right. i hardly ever see people doing just normal day-to-day calls. its mainly heavy gunfire / pursuit stuff or just internal roleplay.

There are way less day-to-day calls than people might think... For... Some reason. It's almost always "My car has been stolen", "There's a body here", "I hear shots", "There's a fight", "I've been robbed" or "A guy is trespassing".

I’ll do follow up work if I have the time to do all the paperwork that’s involved with taking a call like that. More often than not the shift doesn’t necessarily permit the time, most of the time however I’m preoccupied with actual roleplay in game. I tend to avoid the forums as much as I can. 

16 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

If you're writing tickets while your fellow cops are getting shot something's pretty weird, no? Your issue should be with LFM/IFM for allowing so many shootings on a daily basis.

I don't have an issue with it, I just find it funny how I hear people complain about cops all the time for various reasons, yet every time you go into south central there is gunfire and it feels like a CoD lobby. This has been going on for over a year since I was in LEO factions

19 hours ago, Invictus said:

LS problems require LS solutions, chad