Does 991 Work?

Parade

I have been role-playing a guard for the last month and I have had to interact with the police multiple times.

The issue is it seems that either the police do not want to roleplay with you by answering 991 calls about things like "What did the suspect steal from this business I'm contracted to protect, what is the status of the pursuit of the vehicle I just called 911 about? Do you need me to come in for questioning. Questions like that. I would like to roleplay more with the police but either they only RP shooting people and patrolling around alone and nothing else or 991 does not work.

Some 911 calls go unanswered because of the sheer bulk of the activity happening across the map during busy hours. If people aren't available, 991 is definitely a lower priority. That's not to say: don't try. You definitely should. There's more than a few people out there who roleplay LEOs that would love the break from the mundane, boring chases / shootings / fight investigations to actually roleplay something beyond those two things.

Cops do ring callers back where they can amongst the bulk of calls we do get. Whilst I roleplay as a traffic cop, I will usually go to other calls as well as it’s part of the job and call the reporting number to get details quicker than driving there to find out. Not all cops want to be in shootings or shootouts as a lot of us enjoy the community engagement side and talking to people to work out details and then submit crime reports for detectives to look into.

I find a lot of people come into MRS to talk face to face and there’s no harm in calling to say you’re there and want to speak to an officer.

Yeah, the rule of thumb is if your call is ignored, something more serious is going on elsewhere. There is... On a good day, 70 cops in the entire city. Sounds like a lot, but you have to keep in mind that your average (not shootouts) scene usually has 5-10, and traffic stops tend to take 1-4. During peak hours, it's safe to assume there are at least two traffic stops going on at all times. There are also higher-risk scenes - especially during these hours and weekends, where depending on their scale you can find half of a department's current roster. In this example, some days you'd have two to three active shootouts or very close to each other time-wise.

Understaffed is the name of the game.

The city has 5000 homicides a year, it's not surprising that stuff like " Bob didn't pay his taxi fare " gets ignored when there's shootings every hour. There is also generally a lack of interest towards investigative roleplay because of how many restrictions LEOs have when performing it. We don't have mechanics that let us gather DNA/fingerprints from a scene ( players don't drop hair, players don't leave DNA under your nails when you fight someone, there's no cameras in most of the city, no facial recognition, we're not allowed to track a phone and tell where you've been and where ).

99% of homicide scenes will go nowhere because the Courts expect us to have Probable Cause/evidence to the standards of 2023 but technology wise we're stuck in 1950, so a lot of people won't even bother.

Some nights, like weekend evenings, are absolutely insane with regards to crime, that you probably wouldn't believe unless you saw the 911 calls flying past in chat one after the other.  At those times even some of those don't even get a response because the city is pretty much on fire and everyone is already on a scene: officers down, multiple shootings, brawls, robberies going on.  Best time for 991 calls is mornings, afternoons or early evening while it's fairly quiet.

overexaggerate in your call to bait a response.

did a social experiment once - i called 911 on stuff like trespassing, assault, stalking etc. and even after 20 mins nobody called or showed up. then i called 911 again saying some bs like "SHOTS FIRED" and within the next 10 seconds guess what happened? 5 patrol cars and helicopter showed up. based on my social experiment you can make your own conclusion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2