High CPU usage

Dynath

I got very high CPU usage only when I'm on RageMP/GTA W

I'm running a 1060, i5 with 3.30 GHZ (4 cores), 16 GB of RAM, my game is on a SSD

When I open task manager my CPU usage spikes upwards to 90 percent, even maxing out at 100 percent. 

I can turn up my settings and run just fine however in certain random area's and random times my game will just freeze for different increments sometimes 1 second, sometimes up to 10 then teleport me back to where I froze; or if I'm driving with someone it would teleport me to their location.. It will even happen when I'm completely still. 

I removed all my custom mods, and I'm even running on the lowest settings with regular GTA I never stutter/freeze on high settings it's as smooth as butter.

I've literally disabled all options including VSYNC and I still get the same issue CEF rendering was disabled as well. Anyone know what the problem is?

Rage is quite CPU intensive, moreso than GTA Online, and with an older card like a 1060 and an i5, your PC might struggle a bit with it and run into issues like that.

There are still some things you can do to limit the CPU usage and help stop system interrupts (freezing).

In control panel, go to Hardware and Sound, then to Power Options. Make sure you're on a high performance power plan. Ensuring one of those is ticked, next to it click change plan settings.

nuSOCmo.png

From there click on change advanced power settings, and go down to processor power management. Set it to somewhere between 90-95. This allows your PC some buffer room before reaching 100 where it'll start causing system interrupts.

mWVZDIJ.png

If this doesn't help, you can also try entering your BIOS settings on startup, and changing with your CPU settings there.

Other than that I'm afraid your specs are just a bit low, I played with very similar specs to you around two years ago, and frequently had crashes, texture loss, and freezing in Ragemp as well. It was playable but as I said, rage is just very power intensive and with specs like that you're at most trying to mitigate the issues.

15 hours ago, violeNt said:

Rage is quite CPU intensive, moreso than GTA Online, and with an older card like a 1060 and an i5, your PC might struggle a bit with it and run into issues like that.

There are still some things you can do to limit the CPU usage and help stop system interrupts (freezing).

In control panel, go to Hardware and Sound, then to Power Options. Make sure you're on a high performance power plan. Ensuring one of those is ticked, next to it click change plan settings.

nuSOCmo.png

From there click on change advanced power settings, and go down to processor power management. Set it to somewhere between 90-95. This allows your PC some buffer room before reaching 100 where it'll start causing system interrupts.

mWVZDIJ.png

If this doesn't help, you can also try entering your BIOS settings on startup, and changing with your CPU settings there.

Other than that I'm afraid your specs are just a bit low, I played with very similar specs to you around two years ago, and frequently had crashes, texture loss, and freezing in Ragemp as well. It was playable but as I said, rage is just very power intensive and with specs like that you're at most trying to mitigate the issues.

Unfortunately did not work 😞

4 hours ago, Lexy said:

do u have shadowplay on? had the same issue until i turned nvidia overlay off entirely, now I suffer from it only when trying to record clips

I believe this solved my issue, thank you. Will have to test more tomorrow during higher populations. Appreciated! 

( I still have high CPU but my main issue was the stuttering/freezing randomly for no reason even when not moving ) 

Edited by Dynath
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Dynath said:

i5 6600, 4 cores.

Nvidia geforce GTX 1060 6GB

yep as I thought, the 1060 is already pretty heavy on your i5 causing enough bottleneck as is. my advice is to ease up the workload on your cpu in any way you can. i.e turning off instant replay. you can also turn off windows security (virus and threat protection) as you don't really need it as much and it may cause your cpu to go insane for no reason.

ive had the same issue with the same gpu and an i5 2400. in my case turning off shadowplay helped a lil but i was still losing a lot of frames. (as you can imagine when ur cpu is 100% and your gpu is only 50%). i switched to a ryzen 5 and all the issues are gone now.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, violeNt said:

nuSOCmo.png

mWVZDIJ.png

I really wouldn't do this. You're crippling an 8-year-old monothreaded CPU that is already exerting way more than it should for this game; let alone RageMP and how bad it is on its own. Not only are you disabling turbo, but also limiting the CPU to 90% of its C-state. 

It is time to admit that the specs are falling behind. It might be good to start looking at your temperatures and power; see if you're thermal/power throttling while you're playing.