Make a rule stopping people from trading guns for drugs or vice versa.

I decided to make this suggestion after a conversation I had in the IFM public discord. Myself and a few other players agreed that certain trends in the illegal scene need to stop, with this being one of the main ones.

Lately in game I've noticed a strange trend of people trying to engage in "trades" where they give people guns in exchange for drugs, or vice versa. In my opinion this needs to stop because not only is it ruining the in game drug and gun trade, which was already suffering, but it's just unrealistic.

In real life, no drug dealer is going to give up half of their supply in exchange for a weapon. Especially not in a country like America. It makes no sense at all. It's a very strange mindset and shouldn't have any place on a server that calls itself "heavy" roleplay. I'm not sure what exactly bought this trend about, but all I know is that it needs to stop for the good of the illegal roleplay scene on this server.

Trading weapons for drugs makes very little sense. Drugs sell for significantly less in the real life criminal underworld than guns do. For example. An individual informed me that somebody tried to give him 2 pistols and a shotgun for "50 molly pills." 

A pack of 50 molly pills in real life goes for less than 70 dollars. The three mentioned weapons would realistically go for much more. The drug / gun scene needs to go back to being about money, not hoarding guns or drugs. No drug dealer in his right mind is going to give up half of his drug supply for a couple of weapons, and no illegal weapon dealer is going to give up a single weapon for a key of cocaine. It's just unrealistic and quite frankly needs to be stopped as soon as possible.

• Upvote 8

Drugs and weapons should be a tool used to create RP scenarios and relationships between individuals or factions, not a currency used to stockpile one for the other. It's probably gotten to the point already where people on the lower-end of illegal RP have been gatekept out of getting basic drugs like weed or MDMA.

• Upvote 4

big supporter of this, took me a while to understand what was going on, but it was REAL demotivating to realize that i'll probably never meet a "good plug" without having a scheme of my own to swap things for, and I still RP a drug dealer but the current situation makes money all but worthless in the illegal scene, and it's kinda sad, cause IRL - everybody is in the illegal scene for money.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, TonyMontana12 said:

big supporter of this, took me a while to understand what was going on, but it was REAL demotivating to realize that i'll probably never meet a "good plug" without having a scheme of my own to swap things for, and I still RP a drug dealer but the current situation makes money all but worthless in the illegal scene, and it's kinda sad, cause IRL - everybody is in the illegal scene for money.

It's crazy how it's encouraged for almost every drug dealer character to eventually become a weed grower or meth cook just to stay in their trade. Irl I'm sure there's plenty of drug dealers who make reasonable amounts of cash without knowing how to grow weed or manufacture meth in a lab.

Edited by SpicyBandito
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Thurston Howl said:

As a recovering drug addict in real life, I have seen this happen constantly, where people will trade stolen firearms for dope.

I find that incredibly hard to believe. I frequently buy drugs in real life, never have I been offered drugs for firearms.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Thurston Howl said:

The last thing we need is more restrictions. As a recovering drug addict in real life, I have seen this happen constantly, where people will trade stolen firearms for dope.

Let people roleplay what they wish to. 

They'd usually do that trade because the firearm is severely under-priced because it's stolen and the addict is clucking, usually reselling the gun ASAP for cash themselves.
All comes back to money, the IRL root of all evil,, but the current situation is money is worthless in the illegal scene, and that's factual - and if you haven't realized it yet? You haven't rp'd within the illegal scene enough, I can think of three people who's ever sold me a gun for cash in 2050 hours on the server...
None of them held a weapon / drug supplier role, they likely only sold me it because we're friends.

I don't think there should be an OOC rule - but IFM should be checking that these things are ACTUALLY being distributed and sold on, not ALL stockpiled and trades, suppliers should have some outsiders their selling too for cash.

• Upvote 1
Just now, TonyMontana12 said:

They'd usually do that trade because the firearm is severely under-priced because it's stolen and the addict is clucking, usually reselling the gun ASAP for cash themselves.
All comes back to money, the IRL root of all evil,, but the current situation is money is worthless in the illegal scene, and that's factual - and if you haven't realized it yet? You haven't rp'd within the illegal scene enough, I can think of three people who's ever sold me a gun for cash in 2050 hours on the server...
None of them held a weapon / drug supplier role, they likely only sold me it because we're friends.

I don't think there should be an OOC rule - but IFM should be checking that these things are ACTUALLY being distributed and sold on, not ALL stockpiled and trades, suppliers should have some outsiders their selling too for cash.

Maybe there should be a feature for drugs to degrade or become useless over time, the longer they're kept in storage and not used? That would encourage factions and individuals to start pumping out their stockpiles of drugs.

• Upvote 1