[General MMA Guide] - General Information, history, fighting styles and practices.

Greymanic

Brought to you by ME (Scott Hughes IG). Shoutout to Mountain MMA Gym; For motivating me and helping me to do this.

This guide encompasses everything you need to know about various martial arts to accurately portray a MMA fighter/coach.

I also wrote a guide on how to roleplay your first fight. I might add that later. I uploaded it in this format, because the PDF file was too big.

I hope y'all make good use out of it. Enjoy. 

zqNXazp.pngFQcWLvm.pngCmPv4DT.pngoouTpe0.png

VqW3Ags.pngZuPYfNV.pngiR2eDEE.pngfyGIbzi.png

p8R3uBE.pngHSUVJ0T.pngk04JIXo.pngHiNGwS3.png

XGF20qk.png39fhcNw.png

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice guide introducing the reader to a plethora of different martial arts, however I think there are some key points missing from being an actual MMA roleplay guide.

First and foremost, if you wanna RP a coach sufficiently, or even go through a match, sparring or rolling using /me's, to do it accurately to real life you must know a wide variety of techniques.

In clinching and grappling positions are what make certain maneuvers and submissions possible, for example armbaring someone straight from side control is very difficult. Same goes for general takedowns in an over-under clinch (with the exception of some trips). Generally educating yourself on the following positions and possible transitions in to and from them will go a long way unless roleplaying with an expert:

Clinch:

- Over/under, by standard a neutral position where both parties have one over-hook and one under-hook. Often also modified into a position with an under-hook and wrist control with the other hand, if against the cage.

- Double-under, a position where one party has two under-hooks. Dominant position for said person, as there's options for takedowns and control over your opponent. Generally you would try to defend against a double-under by seeking an under-hook of your own, returning the position in to an over-under.

- Thai clinch, pictured above; one party holds the other person's head with both hands. This position isn't very common in MMA, but is occasionally applied in matches. Great position to throw knees to the head in.

- Back control, two under-hooks and control of your opponents back. Great control and opportunities for takedowns, and sometimes even straight submissions (albeit very rare). Usually entered through a takedown attempt or from double-under.

Useful clinch terminology to research: wrist control, head position, base/hips

Most common takedowns from the clinch: different trips, single legs, double leg (requires locked hands most of the time), high-crotch

On the ground:

- Guard, by far the most common and neutral position. In guard one party is positioned between the opponents legs, with the opponent on their back. From top position it's possible to strike and commit to passing the guard (advancing to a better position). On the bottom the person can attempt some submissions, sweeps or try to stand the fight back up. Most common submissions from bottom guard are triangle choke, armbarkimura and guillotine. Some variations of the regular guard: open guard, closed guard, stacked guard, butterfly guard.

Half-guard, the next position from guard. This is when the person in top guard has passed one leg, but kept one inside. This is a more top dominant position with better control and ground striking possibilities due to more leverage. A arm triangle/side choke is often initiated in half-guard, although (usually) needs transitioning to side control for enough pressure to get the tap. Americana is also possible from side-guard but not very common from the position.

Side control, this is when the person on top has shifted both of his legs to the opponent's side. Generally a position of strong control on the hips and neck. Side control is often used when trying to advance towards an even more dominant position or submissions. Not really a great position to strike in unless you manage to lock your opponent in a crucifix. Common submissions are americana and arm triangle/side choke.

Full mount, often the next position from side control. This is where the person on top has fully mounted the torso of the person on the bottom. One of the most dominant ground positions in MMA and BJJ. Mount opens the possibility to strikes as well as many submissions such as armbararm triangleamericana and guillotine. Strikes from full mount also often lead to the person on the bottom exposing their back, turning the position in to a rear mount which opens the possibility to flattening out your opponent as well as the RNC (rear naked choke).

Turtle, is kind of like side control for an opponent who's on their knees, back balled up like a turtle's shell. Great position for strikes as well as advancing in to a rear mount.

Common terminology: scrambling, hip control, arm control, hooks.

Common techniques: hip escapes, shrimping, sweeps.

By far the most common submissions in MMA are RNC, arm triangle, triangle, guillotine.

Also useful to research the usage of the cage when it comes to jiu jitsu techniques, as it can eliminate or allow certain techniques.

Ones mentioned above are only the most common positions, and there are plenty more to research for anyone interested.

Striking:

When it comes to striking the most important things to understand are how stances affect the game, as well as how MMA striking differs from other combat sports due to the looming threat of takedowns. Won't go in to detail here since there are too many variables, but I'm happy to answer to questions below.

(Mixed) Martial Arts culture:

A couple more things I'd like to point out that I've noticed people lacking when it comes to MMA RP on the server are training etiquette/martial arts principles, accurately portraying a fighter outside of the gym and weight cuts.

Training etiquette/culture: The martial arts community is very centered on respect among training partners (and opponents, except when trying to sell a fight), improving off one another and having a student mindset. It's nearly impossible to find a practicioner not showing respect to their training partners, regardless of age, skill, ethnicity or anything along the lines. This goes hand in hand with the next thing, which to the surface is the biggest ick that people do when roleplaying around MMA; sparring. For the love of God your goal in sparring is NOT to knock the head off your opponent or hurt them. I regularly see people at GTAW gyms RPing taking "rounds" and knocking their opponent out. This is very rare in real life and if intentional can get you kicked out of a gym. My idea is to roleplay having a round and having the person who scriptwise knocks the other person out scriptwise clearly have the upper hand in said round. If you got knocked out so regularly in real life, you'd have a brain hemorrhage within a month and if not dead, CTE a year later. Sparring in training camps is often harder but improvement focused regardless, and against near-similar level opponents, if possible.

Accurately portraying a fighter: It's a full-time job (if not more). Professional martial arists are dedicated. They don't club every day and do drugs. Real martial artists don’t go around looking for fights either. Fighting outside of a controlled environment can cause injuries and legal consequences. No fighter in their right mind finds any pride in beating up an untrained goon either. 

Weight cuts: Enough said, never seen a fighter roleplay a weight cut on GTAW although a significant part of final fight preparations if at a high level.

Would be nice to see some realistic gym culture on GTAW for a change, something you can get a small insight in to here: 

Other great sources of inspiration can be training clips from AKA, the gym where Team Khabib and DC used to train. Khabib's YouTube channel has tons of great behind the scenes content too, displaying fight preparation, team spirit and coach-fighter relationships.

Bottom line is that MMA is a very complex sport with a wide subculture surrounding it. To accurately portray a fighter takes a lot of research, but like anything you want to RP, it should be researched. Don't be discouraged though, just be willing to learn, it'll make the roleplay more rewarding to everyone involved! I also feel like I missed a lot of stuff, and purposefully left a lot out so if there's questions I'm happy to answer!

Edited by dbdizk2
  • Upvote 1