The Mask Epidemic

The Mask Epidemic  

943 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't agree with removing the "Mask_etc" above the head when they're used because fact of the matter is people will intentionally and unintentionally metagame the names. It will happen, no matter how great a player is.

Enforcing server rules will be micromanagy as a motherfucker and incredibly difficult to enforce, "why're you wearing a mask?" "i was looking for someone to rob" "you've been here 20 mins" "i couldn't find anyone worthy", it'll be a revolving issue.

An in-character fix seems to be the most appropriate, but there is the risk of certain players within law enforcement factions abusing this, so does there need to be an OOC protection on an IC law? Or should it just be the IC law and give law enforcement more to work with?

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, honey. said:

I don't agree with removing the "Mask_etc" above the head when they're used because fact of the matter is people will intentionally and unintentionally metagame the names. It will happen, no matter how great a player is.

Enforcing server rules will be micromanagy as a motherfucker and incredibly difficult to enforce, "why're you wearing a mask?" "i was looking for someone to rob" "you've been here 20 mins" "i couldn't find anyone worthy", it'll be a revolving issue.

An in-character fix seems to be the most appropriate, but there is the risk of certain players within law enforcement factions abusing this, so does there need to be an OOC protection on an IC law? Or should it just be the IC law and give law enforcement more to work with?

There’s law people could use already. Normalize that wearing a mask is strange in character. Any business owner can refuse service to people wearing masks. This is ICly enforceable if owners start trespassing people who violate their rules. Police can then charge them with a misdemeanor. You can offer these same owners OOC protection by not accepting CK applications on said owners by criminals who roleplay personally offended. Nor could you recognize being denied service as a valid reason to kill/maim. This can be extended to government buildings and facilities. Legislation can fight in character how they could form laws around specific areas. Doing this triggers people who wear masks for malicious reasons, making them even more identifiable for administrators. 

• Applaud 1

I don't normally mask my name even when I am wearing a mask. I see no reason to. The name above my head isn't roleplaying aspect, it is name of the character. Which people only know if I tell them or if they see my license. I saw many instances of /me describes the person of Abubakhar Shilishvilli (Good name)...instead of actually noting down any visuals of said person, thus masking one's name is completely unnecessary, in ideal world of course concealing one's face would've been enough. I honestly don't know anything about the real life mania of obscuring one's face, like what reason is there if not criminal intent? Which is also why in some EU countries it considered as misdemeanour or criminal offense, simply because EU has a loooong history of terrorism. I don't think there needs to be an OOC protection, I mean trolls gonna troll masked or not. Roleplayers using masks, like my character....while we are it I actually have a question, because my character doesn't use standard face cover like balaclava or rags. They use actual mask, mostly to put people off. A hockey mask. But that aside, seeing a car 4-deep with masks is common occurence and people immdiately know wassup. 

9 minutes ago, honey. said:

Wearing a mask in a random area with nobody around is no big deal. It's the issue of people wearing masks in public to restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. It's unrealistic, I've never seen anyone just walk around in public wearing a full mask (aside from post 2020 due to the pandemic but that's not really common anymore).

The masks seems like they almost encourage the person wearing them to provoke and/or troll. So while I don't think it should be a rule when wandering around low-pop areas or even in gang territories, I do think it should be a rule in actual public places.

1 minute ago, Kyleb said:

It's the issue of people wearing masks in public to restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

310. Trespassing (M)

Any person who enters another's property with the intent to interfere with or obstruct the business activities conducted thereon, or enters and occupies another's property without permission, or refuses to leave private property after being asked by an owner, manager, resident, or employee.

Just revoke permission to people who wear masks, and watch them get arrested if they refuse to leave. 

38 minutes ago, honey. said:

Trying to micromanage the IC enforcement of laws OOCLY isn't a solution either.  

I think it's generally ungood to label someone using the law icly to jam someone up icly as potential abuse, more, a consequence of people, essentially, fucking around and finding out. If the cops stop you because you broke the mask law that's just that. Character should've been smarter about not getting caught, at the end of the day.

I'm unsure how law enforcement would be able to "abuse" the mask law, specifically, unless you're referring to people getting jammed up because they chose to wear a mask for no reason and getting busted for other stuff as a result of it, and I think it would be rather dangerous to play off law enforcement using their the law effectively against unsmart criminals as abuse if that is the case.

If I am mistaken I would be interested in hearing what, specifically, would constitute the abuse.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, honey. said:

you'll figure it out, you love micromanaging anyway.