The Mask Epidemic

The Mask Epidemic  

959 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only few scenarios that I believe masks should be utilized; 

• When your character has recently committed a crime and/or has a warrant out (if known) for their arrest. Now, if your character has recently committed a crime, they shouldn't be out in public and should admittedly be trying to figure out an alibi for their where about incase they're a suspect.
  • Your character is in an active conflict, either actively looking or being hunted.
  • You're in hiding from somebody after doing something against them that constitutes for your character to fear for their life.
7 minutes ago, Bowl said:

I know this server isn't LSRP, but it's LSRP inspired and started by people who came from LSRP. On there, people could /mask whenever they wanted to even without an IC mask. The fact that it's a rule that you're required to have an IC mask in order to OOC mask on this server is a great thing and a great expansion to that old rule. As far as I see it, it's an IC problem. The reason why people find an issue in it is because they aren't able to metagame people's names when something bad happens to them. Cops could ask people to take it off for whatever reason. Otherwise, it's their freedom to wear one. It's all IC. It would be pretty lame to restrict people on it imo. 

To piggy back off of this; it'll always be an IC issue. Even back on LSRP, if a player didn't have a mask, you could simply ask them in /do to unmask and if they did or didn't to prevent you from metagaming their name. You could just make a /report to have an admin decrypt their name for you; eventually this façade of things ended when players just went and bought a clothing item from the clothing store (mask) and just equipped it. Making sure that other parties if they chose to metagame the person's face and/or other identification marks they were entitled too; but at the risk of being reported if they done so.

The suggestion I propose is as following:

Pros:

• Make /maskname a 24/7 item and/or donator item. (similar to how LSRP's was)
  • Players that use the /mask are already concealed facial wise, so it's RP
  • Encourages players to RP not being able to still identify their targets

Cons:

• Players can MG the nametags and /examine description of just /mask clothing item
  • Player Report section is going to fill up with people attacking those that rob them because they identified their name
  • The players that simply do not give a shit will smoke the ever living hell out of you for not /masknaming
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, honey. said:

Option added for an IC law rather than an OOC one.

I believe it would sway a lot of usage if they knew they might get their shit frisked for wearing one.

It would however open up a lot of room for abuse, so hesitant.

there already is a law; it's a misdemeanor if I'm not mistaken. Facial Obstruction. So it's already IC, just make the /maskname a 24/7 item that conceals the players name; where they have to have a /mask to actually do so with that. See my above comment

Edited by Smurf
3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The only few scenarios that I believe masks should be utilized; 

• When your character has recently committed a crime and/or has a warrant out (if known) for their arrest. Now, if your character has recently committed a crime, they shouldn't be out in public and should admittedly be trying to figure out an alibi for their where about incase they're a suspect.
  • Your character is in an active conflict, either actively looking or being hunted.
  • You're in hiding from somebody after doing something against them that constitutes for your character to fear for their life.

To piggy back off of this; it'll always be an IC issue. Even back on LSRP, if a player didn't have a mask, you could simply ask them in /do to unmask and if they did or didn't to prevent you from metagaming their name. You could just make a /report to have an admin decrypt their name for you; eventually this façade of things ended when players just went and bought a clothing item from the clothing store (mask) and just equipped it. Making sure that other parties if they chose to metagame the person's face and/or other identification marks they were entitled too; but at the risk of being reported if they done so.

The suggestion I propose is as following:

Pros:

• Make /maskname a 24/7 item and/or donator item. (similar to how LSRP's was)
  • Players that use the /mask are already concealed facial wise, so it's RP
  • Encourages players to RP not being able to still identify their targets

Cons:

• Players can MG the nametags and /examine description of just /mask clothing item
  • Player Report section is going to fill up with people attacking those that rob them because they identified their name
  • The players that simply do not give a shit will smoke the ever living hell out of you for not /masknaming

Donator masks 🤮

Please don't give the Panda ideas.

• Upvote 3

People claim "shiesty" but in reality, the usage of a mask is only to cover your name to avoid reports and to hide behind the mask's name.

I've already suggested it, but an hour in and I realised I'm fighting a losing battle, which I won't ever bother to continue when admins have already set their minds on not implementing anything.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:49 PM, H04X said:

610. Facial Obstruction (M)

Any person who obstructs or disguises their face, during the commission of a crime, shall be charged under this statute.

This is the current law that exists, this is only able to be charged when a crime has been committed. For example, you rob a store and hide your face. You can be charged with this. 

This does not cover just wearing one in public.

We're not looking to add rules if we don't have to.

• Upvote 2

I think the problem with amending the IC law is it ends with a lot of cases of "take your mask off" and then they don't comply and it escalates. From an IC standpoint is gives cops another tool to jam someone up ICLY. But this may not be the desired outcome OOC.  It may not be a good idea to go the IC route unless people want that to happen. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Dante_Inglewood said:

People claim "shiesty" but in reality, the usage of a mask is only to cover your name to avoid reports and to hide behind the mask's name.

I've already suggested it, but an hour in and I realised I'm fighting a losing battle, which I won't ever bother to continue when admins have already set their minds on not implementing anything.

this makes no sense, wearing a shiesty is a trend worldwide it has nothing to do with reports

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1