GTA:W set in the 40s'/50's?

Mistery14

10 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

I really like the idea of a 70s/80s RP as well honestly. I'd definitely get into the PD and develop a believable corrupt cop character or something.

Although I'd argue that the 40s/50s weren't exactly boring, it's just that our perception of what is boring developed into what it is now.

My concern would really be that, someone made a point that a lot are barely capable of RPing as someone from our own time, so how the hell could we manage to get the same players to portray a character from the 40s or even 90s without it becoming some sort of parody full of stereotypical chars?

I call it boring because crime wasn't as fleshed out as it was in the later half of the century. Cold war tensions were still high, there was still segregation, the civil rights act wasn't passed, cells phones didn't exist. It just wasn't a fun time to exist and boring to roleplay without these important events that shaped the future.

I completely disagree that people "don't know" how to roleplay realistically in a modern day. Aren't all these people self inserts? Aren't they real people? LA is full of insufferable trust fund kids, people are portraying it just fine. The main issue is the illegal roleplays who watch one ganglands episode and try and emulate it.

Edited by sparky

Honestly, I would love to roleplay on a map set during the prohibition era (1920's - 1930's). Criminal factions would have loads of fun attempting to smuggle in alcohol in addition to weaponry. I have faith that the people will be able to execute this well. I had my doubts about the Red Dead Redemption roleplay but it turned out really well.