Criminals Leasing Business Property - Background Checks

Hollywood

Short description: Do not lease property to convicted felons or characters convicted of dangerous crimes (drugs, weapons etc.).

Detailed description: The property leasing application contains an IC portion. For whatever reason, property leasing is not currently handled IC by the Government or other entity but is considered an IC lease (as it should be) that your character holds IC. There is no reason a violent felon would be given a lease for a liquor store, a night club, etc. by the Government or by a private leasing company. I can understand an office space being leased by anyone, but certainly not a large public venue.

Property leasing is supposed to be a way for legal characters to set up a business, employ other characters and promote the 'legal civilian' side of RP. To the contrary, many characters that lease clubs or liquor stores are violent criminals that use these businesses as a front for their enterprise. There would be nothing wrong with this if these characters weren't already convicted of murder, drug possession, illegal weapons, attempted murder(s) and so on. 

Becoming a 'hardened' criminal character is a player's choice. These choices should define your character more on GTA:W. If you choose to be a more serious criminal individual that gets caught then other character paths should become harder. A hardened criminal should not be able to operate a 'legitimate' business on the Government's or Leasing Company's money. 

I am NOT suggesting that criminals be barred from owning businesses. They should have to pool their money together and buy a business outright though, not lease one for a very, very small fee. 

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? This suggestion helps to create a more clear distinction in character paths. Choosing to develop your character as a criminal will have the repercussion of making going back into legal civilian business owner life much harder. More realism. 

Additional information: What do you guys think?

• Upvote 2

Its so 100% obvious that I am surprised it hasn't been like this since the beginning and somebody had to do a suggestion for it. Well I am glad you did and I am supporting this. Nothing else to add, its plain and simple as the OP presented it.

14 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

Absolutely support. Additionally, anyone who is convicted of a felony while leasing a business should have their lease terminated immediately. Also goes for any convicted felons currently leasing a business.

Yeah, I have to agree with this honestly. 

Like I said, these leases are really supposed to be for legal/civillian style RPers or more intelligent criminal enterprises (i.e. a Mob that has a dedicated 'clean' person to hold their leases and do business, etc). 

At the moment, anyone can grab up a bar or club and use it mostly for their illegal activities. Your character could be a known drug trafficker with known gang affiliations and multiple arrests.  This is usually the case with Night Clubs, despite the fact that they open to the public every now and then.

Long story short, it's too easy to use a leased business as an illegal business center. Maybe requiring more than 1 weekly opening could change that? I'm not sure. 

Edited by Hollywood

There's nobody available to spend hours to gather payments ingame from each leaseholder of vehicles and properties.

Also, I am definitely not the one who will roleplay a government character who is handling leases.

Edited by Adero
51 minutes ago, Adero said:

Okay, so we restrict this to.. 10% of the server's playerbase? The leasing is totally OOC at the moment and should not take in account people's IC criminal record.

The leasing application is not OOC...if it was, there would be so many disconnects in players' RP it wouldn't even be funny.

Section I (( IC ))

First Name:

Last Name:

Date of Birth (DD/MMM/YYYY): 

Address: 

City: 

Name/Number of the Property:

Phone:

What are your plans with the property if you get accepted(Minimum 150 words):

How often are you planning to open the business (If leasing a business): 

How long are you planning to lease the property for: 

I, FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, understand that by signing this agreement, that I am fully telling the truth to the best of my knowledge. I also agree to all of the property leasing terms and conditions. If my application is accepted, I will uphold all of the rules that are set in place and will be held solely responsible for the said business. I understand that if I break any rules, I am subject to immediate termination of my lease, and the possibility of a ban from applying for any future leases. I agree to keep the property in good standing, as well as uphold all of the rules of the leasing system.

31 minutes ago, Adero said:

I am definitely not the one who will roleplay a government character who is handling leases.

There is a GOV faction with leadership. 

How can we possibly say that property leasing is OOC? If that is the case then this is 100% not a heavy RP server. 

No lease means...what, you're just squatting there and taking over the business? You can't be held liable IC for anything that happens at the business? Police can enter at any time and arrest you for tresspass? 

What about all the applications that ask if you are a business holder IC? 

What about every single person that has RP'd holding a lease of a business?

Edited by Hollywood

The application itself has a field where players provide their IC information and their IC plans on how they plan to operate the business.

The GOV faction you mention has been working on making the whole process IC, however, they're just three members of our community and it's been like a month since they've begun planning that. I'd love to have the leases handled ICly as that'd boost roleplay and all that, however, I as a player can't roleplay the said person who's gathering the lease fees or meeting people to start their lease and I am not interested in roleplaying such a person.

Once the GOV takes over they can enforce any laws against applicants who wish to become leaseholders, however, keep in mind that even in real life people who have committed crimes to operate businesses.

2 hours ago, Adero said:

The application itself has a field where players provide their IC information and their IC plans on how they plan to operate the business.

The GOV faction you mention has been working on making the whole process IC, however, they're just three members of our community and it's been like a month since they've begun planning that. I'd love to have the leases handled ICly as that'd boost roleplay and all that, however, I as a player can't roleplay the said person who's gathering the lease fees or meeting people to start their lease and I am not interested in roleplaying such a person.

Once the GOV takes over they can enforce any laws against applicants who wish to become leaseholders, however, keep in mind that even in real life people who have committed crimes to operate businesses.

Hard felons usually don't gain the liquor license. And I don't see why having the system IC has to be so much more work? It don't need to be all IC. The people looking through and accepting the applications can just maybe have some kind of imaginary forum based NPC char for that. I'm pretty sure it is not hard to look up for an criminal record of some ones and then make a ruling based on that. Lease fees are to be pays as they are now. I mean its not like there is a actual people in car dealerships or DMV or even when you buy a house off the market. You just use your imagination and RP that part subconsciously. You get my drift? It can be all worked out nice and easy.