Should we go full-on Night City?

Rekhoem

16 hours ago, Jess Lewis said:

There is the crime issue which makes it difficult to strike out on your own without having to either hire a gang for protection or someone like G6. G6(I've not RP'd with them so all of this is ooc info I've read) seems to have a real early Militech vibe about them, or even Arasaka both of whom make alot of money from corpo security in game. It wouldn't be too far of a jump to see the wealth divide in LS grow between those who are able to afford security, housing, and businesses' and those forced to turn to gangs to make a living, with the city/state government struggling to find its self and retain staff, resulting in a weird NC type state, with the affluent areas being relatively safe if you have the money to be there, and the rest of the city being like pacifica. I mean vespucci already gives off some real failed pacifica vibes.

Wouldn't really refer to Vespucci as failed Pacifica, though certain similiarities are there, but you certainly are right with implying that gangs exact more control upon the streets than the actual government does, which of course is very lucrative for G6 & Co.

Though, the rest of San Andreas does need some love too, tbh. I mean, all kinds of things can happen out there and the place is barely patrolled as is, so I'm surprised to see it so empty when passing through there.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, Moonsong said:

Or where nobody actually plays along when you do, questions why you're doing it and power games having every kind of safeguard in place. I've tried it, it's not a fun experience. It's also not supported by the script or officially by admins.

/me is using Norton™ AntiVirus Plus

Cybercrime could be pretty fun RP, yeah, and minor things like pickpocketing and such would be nice to do if people played along, but at the same time I can understand it if people get tired of constantly having their inventories emptied by others. 

But yeah, the stats don't lie. It's time to stop comparing LS to any real life city, yet the second civilians try to defend themselves or their businesses as they would irl, it's nonrp fear. Something has to give imho

Yeah. I'm surprised we don't see more "Roof Koreans"-types of incidents.

Edited by Rekhoem
9 minutes ago, Rekhoem said:

/me is using Norton™ AntiVirus Plus

Cybercrime could be pretty fun RP, yeah, and minor things like pickpocketing and such would be nice to do if people played along, but at the same time I can understand it if people get tired of constantly having their inventories emptied by others. 

More like /me has intricate knowledge of how to defend against common attack methods (which a small company would have no clue about) and not only has every last piece of software up-to-date but has NSA levels of cyber security ><

But honestly I'd prefer to be pickpocketed than /s hands for the millionth time but very few do it because well, it requires descriptive roleplay.

Edited by Moonsong
  • 4 weeks later...

So I was looking around the city lately on a new character: they are not rich, kind of working class but NOT a criminal or gangster.  Honestly I was kind of shocked at just how FEW places there are to call home that have not been turned into ghettos.  I look around Hawick and Burton for a moderately priced apartment.  Okay, there's some that are like 70-90k there if you look hard enough.  But the walls are literally covered in graffiti and there are CIMs around multiple doors saying they've been kicked in or whatever.   One building even had a CIM saying that there were multiple gunshot marks in the wall.  I mean...okay?  The area doesn't seem THAT bad, where has all this crime come from, would my character be like, constantly at risk living here??  So I move on...check out Morningwood.  That seems like a fairly moderate area right?  Not rich, but not a ghetto.  WRONG!  Again graffiti all over and broken in doors and shady people standing about asking why I'm there and generally being aggressive.  Ummm okay.    Next Vespucci....honestly what was I even thinking.  That's full on ghetto now, literally graffiti telling you to go away if you're not "local" even though it's right by the beach and shops.

So yes, pretty shocked at just how hostile and ghetto almost every part of the city has become.  I assume there is not enough "space" in the areas where such things would make sense, so it has slowly spread out across the city.

18 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

So I was looking around the city lately on a new character: they are not rich, kind of working class but NOT a criminal or gangster.  Honestly I was kind of shocked at just how FEW places there are to call home that have not been turned into ghettos.  I look around Hawick and Burton for a moderately priced apartment.  Okay, there's some that are like 70-90k there if you look hard enough.  But the walls are literally covered in graffiti and there are CIMs around multiple doors saying they've been kicked in or whatever.   One building even had a CIM saying that there were multiple gunshot marks in the wall.  I mean...okay?  The area doesn't seem THAT bad, where has all this crime come from, would my character be like, constantly at risk living here??  So I move on...check out Morningwood.  That seems like a fairly moderate area right?  Not rich, but not a ghetto.  WRONG!  Again graffiti all over and broken in doors and shady people standing about asking why I'm there and generally being aggressive.  Ummm okay.    Next Vespucci....honestly what was I even thinking.  That's full on ghetto now, literally graffiti telling you to go away if you're not "local" even though it's right by the beach and shops.

So yes, pretty shocked at just how hostile and ghetto almost every part of the city has become.  I assume there is not enough "space" in the areas where such things would make sense, so it has slowly spread out across the city.

I think you should keep looking further. There are plenty of spots in the city that are pretty decent. They may not be visible for you, because during some hours of the day, there just isn't much activity. However, they're definitely in existence. In my view, due to the very strict regulations set by faction management, 'neighborhoods' are held back too much in how they're allowed to develop. IFM flatly rejects community groups that don't wish to develop into a gang. This makes it difficult to fully develop and display roleplay that isn't legal, but isn't primarily illegal either. You're just being relegated to a character story or a gallery thread. Its unfortunate.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

There's a misconception about "ghettos" with an LA based setting. A lot of the LA based hoods that are gang ridden in real life are actually relatively decent looking on the outside, it's when you hang around there or live there that you realize that ain't so. 18th Street Hollywood Gangsters is 1 block away from the Walk of Fame in real life, and Venice beach is a Skinhead haven, and you got Venice 13 there too. Mirror Park is Echo Park, which is also a Southsider ridden neighborhood in real life. 

• Upvote 3

Living in one of these neighborhoods doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, speaking from experience. My character lives in Vespucci and instead of avoiding it or thinking its a warzone or whatever? My character made himself familiar with the locals, "befriended" them somewhat. They know him well enough now to identify him as a "fellow local" and leave him be. This could be a very positive thing to your character actually. I don't ever have to worry about robberies since the locals wouldn't allow outsiders to rob people in their turf and they're not going to shit in their own bed. Never had any troubles in Vespucci due to that, 10x safer to live there than out in Vinewood Hills or Rockford. The fact there's actual population makes it the most crime-free zone for most people if you're not actively engaging in hostile roleplay yourself.

Edited by Martyn
1 hour ago, Paenymion said:

Most of the areas you mentioned have real life counterparts that are gang ridden, so it doesn't "make no sense."