Should we go full-on Night City?

Rekhoem

7 hours ago, Martyn said:

Everybody talking about not using OOC means to reduce crime in any way shape or form, and that people complain OOCly too much. But as soon as we start making the police reasonably powerful to actually fight crime ICly you'll have half the server on the forums OOCly complaining about law enforcement pulling people over too often or conducting too many searches. The hypocrisy is strong in this one.

The same people that want to disarm security guards but then abolish "Good Cause" for civilians.

It's been a repetitive cycle for 4 years.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:03 AM, Rekhoem said:

Yeah. I'm not suggesting to OOCly reduce crime, restrict concepts or anything like that. 

Rather, we oughta stop making things an OOC issue all the time and just take everything - the crime rate, the violence, the war-like situations in the poorer districts - completely IC and deal with them as such.

I know, right?

Superior aesthetics. 

Not a suggestion, just a discussion.

Which is completely fine. However, I don't think we can just expect people to RP a crime rate similiar to that of irl LA if they get robbed several times a month, if not week on average, routinely find corpses in alleyways even in the richer districts and have the police be unable to respond to many calls because there's too many for them to cover.

I'm not saying this is bad. Rather, that we can't expect people to suspend their belief. The crime rate, the crime, the low amount of middle class individuals with am overwhelmingly large upper and lower class, the high amount of gangs and gang-related violence... It all is IC and should be taken as such.

People often complain OOCly that this and that is unrealistic because it doesn't happen in LA. Well, we're not LA and imho shouldn't hold ourselves to LA, which has less crime, higher homelessness, a police with massively cut budget, 'less' racial issues and less guns per capita as a Standard.

If we want to take IC crime rates this serious while advocating a futuristic environment- 

Instead of being expected to use radio direction finding vans (that haven't been used by US LE in like 80 years- no federal LE and military lending them to support operations in foreign nations does not count) to find domestic terrorists IG because its "not fair", I expect to be allowed any of the dozens of generations of new technology that would allow the tracking to happen in mere minutes.

On 3/13/2023 at 3:30 AM, roymar said:

There have been 660 homicides in Los Angeles in 2022. Considering usually that not all bodies get found I'd say we are somewhat close to the IRL statistics.

https://homicide.latimes.com/

that's been reported, but in reality cops dont care if gang members are killing each other, they only care when the community is making noise and bringing bad press to LAPD. so you cant rely on IRL stats on the amount of homicides, look at chicago not every homicide is reported lol