Should we go full-on Night City?

Rekhoem

In 2023, they voted Los Santos the worst place to live in America.

Main issues: Sky-high rate of violence and more people living with a criminal record than anywhere else. Can't deny it, it's all true. But everybody still wants to live here. The city's always got a promise for you. Might be a lie, an illusion, but it's there, just around the corner and it keeps you going. It's a city of saints, and I'm a big sinner.

(Not a suggestion, just a discussion)

LS isn't LA. It's not California. It's based on it, certainly. But there's a staggeringly high gang population in almost every district, with little to no "safe" areas, a lot of guns to go around both in legal and illegal possession and few middle class people, with most RPing either a poor, often criminal street guy or someone who is quite wealthy. There's a thriving corporate security industry and a hopelessly understaffed police. So, other than being set 54 years earlier, what truly does separate us from the social situation of Night City?

I'm not saying any of the above is an issue on an OOC-Level - it's all IC, being the world our characters have created and are now doomed to persist in. NC would, in my opinion, be the most likely outcome with the current development. Again, nothing wrong with that. Seems like a fun place to RP in.

Edited by Rekhoem
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

Whenever someoene says to "bring the crime rate ic" I roll my eyes. This is a roleplaying server on a game based around shooting people and stealing cars. Most people can't spend 16 hours a day on this game, so they cut out the filler and get to thw action e.g arrests, chases, shootout, etc. Pretend the crime rate isn't so high, pretend it's a quirky version of Los Angeles. It's not that complicated. .

• Upvote 7
1 minute ago, righteous wheeler said:

This is a once in a 2 week topic, goddamn just log on and have fun. No need to overanalyze and overdo things. 

I miss when we could actually have fun, now it's being as super realistic to a T to reporting for everything. Let's definitely not add more to the list. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

I wish it was lol. It's not easy to portray a cybercriminal in a game not designed for it.

I'd love to know the creative ways of how you're going about this, but something something meta

1 hour ago, Eastside.Shady said:

Whenever someoene says to "bring the crime rate ic" I roll my eyes. [...] Pretend the crime rate isn't so high, pretend it's a quirky version of Los Angeles. It's not that complicated. .

No, people should have their characters react appropiately to their surroundings, which also means taking the crime rate IC (as most people already do.) I see nothing wrong with this.

54 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I would love to roleplay in Night City. 

Omg saaaaaame. Still sad they cancelled the Multiplayer tbh.

5 minutes ago, righteous wheeler said:

No need to overanalyze and overdo things. 

Tbh I'd argue that if one was to scientifically analyse the dynamics of roleplay such as the one we do around here, it could reveal some interesting things about the players.

2 minutes ago, Muerta said:

I miss when we could actually have fun, now it's being as super realistic to a T to reporting for everything. Let's definitely not add more to the list. 

Absolutely, we're still playing a video game after all and the main point of being here is to just have fun. I'm not advocating for more rules - quite the opposite. Rather, we should embrace the roleplay dynamics we can observe happening instead of trying to restrict concepts or limit RP 

Edited by Rekhoem
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, roymar said:

There have been 660 homicides in Los Angeles in 2022. Considering usually that not all bodies get found I'd say we are somewhat close to the IRL statistics.

https://homicide.latimes.com/

I'd argue we've had more than 660 homicides, if not almost double this on GTA:W alone for 2022, while the population is about 5000 times lower on the daily.

Damn, even two homicides per day alone in one year of GTA:W already brings it to 730 homicides, and we all know there's more than 2 people killed daily on the server.

In an absolute way, sure, we're (debatabely) "close" to RL statistics. In a relative way, however, we are "close" to RL statistics, but with 5000 times less people (~768 compared to 3'840'000).

Los Santos is absolutely riddled with violence, and such amounts in real life would potentially have triggered a separation of all neighborhoods in the city using checkpoints at every block or so manned by the national guard or something similar.

I'm not saying we should go full Night City, but we cannot consider that we are close to real life statistics and accurately are portraying Los Angeles.