Balance out admins roleplaying and on admin duty. (posted in the wrong thing on accident last time)

cason4312

16 hours ago, Invictus said:

if punishments would be harsher, reports will be less. im not sure if most realize that most that are getting reported are usually the same players.

exception being on trolls that somehow make it past the server application.

honestly with the new gtaw lc becoming medium rp similar to how NG:RP on samp was I genuinely don't see any excuse as to why punishments wouldn't become harsher and roleplay stricter. this means that you acknowledge the rules upon joining the server

This summed it up well enough for me. Since we will now get a medium RP server, let's make this one a heavy RP server, as advertised. This means that there should be a strict 'fuck around and find out' policy and repeat offenders won't stack up 7 ''final'' warnings anymore. There have been plenty of cases where people get light punishments for serious offenses and strict punishments for something minor. An excellent example is someone powergaming and fear rping getting a 35 minute ajail and someone trolling with an anim getting a 45 minute ajail. Of course, there are plenty of factors that come into play when making a decision, but I've seen it happen to repeat offenders too.

I get admins roleplaying, but I doubt that all of them are involved in something so serious that they can't take 15 minutes to handle a few reports. Go on aduty, handle 1-2 reports, and continue roleplaying. If even 5 people do that and spend a fraction of their free time that they spend driving aimlessly around the map (speaking from experience) handling reports, it will still be an improvement.

I don't think it's too difficult, people could also just be demotivated. Happens a lot.

2 hours ago, Zach.. said:

If they dont want to do voulenteer admin work why do they sign up as admins? You shouldnt be allowed to sign up for a position that is vital and critical, and then ignore your responsibilities because you dont feel like it.

The server has been set up in a way that requires an admin for literally anything, 3000 layers of red tape to do a simple thing, yet when you need an admin to accomplish one of those things, you can't find one.

Either remove the need for admins so much or enforce people to do what they signed up for, regardless of it being voluntary or not.

This is also a big issue. The workload for admins (especially certain subteams) is so big that they just can't handle it. PM work is so mind numbing that I remember finishing reading 5 property apps and already having no energy to do anything. It's just poorly designed. We can only hope that more of these ''hoops'' that people have to jump through to achieve something simple don't get added.

Edited by nateX
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

Yes, what people do not seem to notice, is that break-ins take longer time, because admin has to sit through whole session, rping everything from alarm timer to owner's stash. If there's a set info, if not they have to spread the loot around property and make something up.

I try to knock out Break-Ins as I see them, even if they've been sitting for a while once I log in. The problem with some breakins is you don't always have an alarm in a house, and players want to basically strip a house down to the barebones in searching for items, it can easily push a breakin to 30+ minutes, and I'm not particularly found of using things like "Concerned Callers" to end a breakin quicker. At the same time, some folks lack the urgency that should be felt breaking into a house on a busy street because they know if there's no alarm they can just sit in there for as long as it takes to find a gun or some other valuable. 

• Upvote 1

expecting volunteers to do a completely equal amount of work is unrealistic. theres gonna be admins who are total neets and can dedicate 12 hours a day to the game, and admins with a family/kids/job. 

its easy to forget that these people are essentially charity workers who are volunteering to care for mentally ill teenagers on a video game in their spare time.

Edited by Gallagher
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

It's a matter of some people becoming admin for the status rather than actually doing the work, WHY do you volunteer for a position you do not have time for? Why do you not retire if your situation in real life changes and you can no longer pull your weight? Be responsible. If you retire because you can't do the work anymore then the people up top can see their admin numbers dwindle and take action by opening up applications again. If people keep pretending they do work but they actually don't you're actively part of why the system is clogging up. Sure it's a volunteer position, but volunteer for any charity IRL and if you fail to do your job properly they are still going to tell you to stop volunteering because you're starting to become a liability and it impacts the other volunteers, such non-arguments all the time its baffling. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, ThatMuricanGuy said:

I try to knock out Break-Ins as I see them, even if they've been sitting for a while once I log in. The problem with some breakins is you don't always have an alarm in a house, and players want to basically strip a house down to the barebones in searching for items, it can easily push a breakin to 30+ minutes, and I'm not particularly found of using things like "Concerned Callers" to end a breakin quicker. At the same time, some folks lack the urgency that should be felt breaking into a house on a busy street because they know if there's no alarm they can just sit in there for as long as it takes to find a gun or some other valuable. 

I agree, sometimes there just isn't anyone to call the break-in. So crims have a free hand at that.

Everytime I have popped on for a few hours, there has been reports sitting. Sometimes, admins forget to check it.

Every single time I've done an announcement in game to get admins on reports - they do so. They stop what they're doing mid-RP (unless it can't at the moment) and hop on. So bravo to 80% of the admins doing that - y'all don't get enough recognition behind the scenes.

Lately, a lot of administrators have also been stepping up and pulling their weight too. We're slowly turning things around, but hey, again - doesn't happen overnight. Zani and Boots has been on top of it this year making sure activity warnings get out and making sure admins aren't JUST doing utility reports. But again, you guys don't see that as it's behind the scenes and you think nothing is getting done.

Check out the staff list every month we go by, I'm sure you guys can see those not pulling their weight either leaving, or stepping up.

We have a ton of TAs (hopefully) coming in through the next few months (between 4-7 each month I believe) which will give us some fresh blood and help out the burnt admins.

We get that it's been a problem. Someone posted a general discussions thread about it mid January. It is now the end of February. There's been a shit ton of change on who is getting reports done or not. The server is growing as well, and we'll bring in new staff members to go along with it.

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
22 hours ago, Mecovy said:

when the servers at like 800 people, a good bet a report comes in once every 2-3 seconds, at most maybe a minute apart.

true, when the servers are like 600-800 players i don't see why 2-3 admins are patrolling and like 20 are roleplaying

This is the only answer we get from the higher staff, we're working on it and I'm not saying you're lying but you gotta find a solution, when they sign up to be administrators they gotta take that responsibility and not ignore it because they don't feel like it, I don't think 20 admins is even enough for 800 players even when they're on duty, 3 months ago admins always was on duty and your breakin request would take more than 20 minutes, up to 2 hours and that's enough to make you ignore that RP or other RP's that need admin approval, admins were just skipping those requests because they take time and if you gonna make reports only on forum, like against players that should be a good idea if there's enough admins to take those, I've opened a report one week ago and no respond, others too and I know somebody that has not gotten any response more than 1 month. That's why everybody tries to avoid forum reports, because they're literally going to die and nobody will answer your report.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic