Inconsistency with administrative punishments

Thunderious

Hi everyone! I'd like to start a discussion as far as admin punishments are concerned. In light with the recent news about LC opening up as a medium roleplay server, I wanted to have a glimpse into most people's perspective on this topic. What mainly prompted me to start this discussion is reading what Nervous had said on his announcement, "If you don't particularly like LS's heavy roleplay environment etc...".

And I say, well, the issue isn't that the server's standards are very high ( that's fine ), it's that players actually don't know how to behave in order to avoid getting punished. For example, if a player does X, they'll get X punishment. That's not how it currently works. To sum it up, if 5 different admins respond to a situation, you could have 5 different outcomes, which is something that should change in my opinion. It's not fair nor logical to do the exact same thing and for example get a warning from some admin and then a ban from another.

I am well aware that (some) admins check for several things before deciding whether to issue a punishment and what kind it'll be, such as a player's previous record, their attitude during the course of the admin situation or forum report, how remorseful they are, the impact of their actions on other players, the mood of the particular admin at that moment and many more.

Please be civil to each other.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Its similar to everything though, there are rules but because of other factors to take into consideration the punishments can vary from person to person. They're kinda like referee's in sports, you'll get different outcomes depending on who does it. 

Your last paragraph summed it up nicely. 

Just now, jbutton169 said:

Its similar to everything though, there are rules but because of other factors to take into consideration the punishments can vary from person to person. They're kinda like referee's in sports, you'll get different outcomes depending on who does it. 

Your last paragraph summed it up nicely. 

This isn't a sport. This shouldn't be happening, I get getting a verbal warning from an admin and a written one from the next, but I've spoken to countless players, scoured the report player section and have arrived at this conclusion, the punishments vary wildly when they shouldn't. It'd be great if we could get some input from actual admins on this.

• Upvote 1

There will incosistency because admins and players are all human and not machines.

Not to mention every single report has nuances that have details which are somewhat different - This ranges from the facts as they occurred and the way the evidence is presented in the report, not to mention, personal biasness.

You can't eliminate any of that, especially in a computer game, which is for better or worse, why discretion has to be given.

Besides, if you don't like an admins decision you can appeal it and that's why there is an admin report function.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
37 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

There will incosistency because admins and players are all human and not machines.

Not to mention every single report has nuances that have details which are somewhat different - This ranges from the facts as they occurred and the way the evidence is presented in the report, not to mention, personal biasness.

You can't eliminate any of that, especially in a computer game, which is for better or worse, why discretion has to be given.

Besides, if you don't like an admins decision you can appeal it and that's why there is an admin report function.

And why should criminal (and legal in some instances) players have to walk on eggshells when this issue can simply be addressed by setting fixed punishments depending on the rule that was broken? This is what I'd personally suggest, 3 punishment tiers.

Let's say a player powergamed. An admin will be able to choose to ajail them for 15, 30 and 45 minutes for example, given the severity of the situation.

If a player has been ajailed X times in a month, they'll be temp-banned for X amount of days.

This would actually help immensely if you think about it, because everyone will be on the same page, admins and players alike.

Edited by Thunderious
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Thunderious said:

Elaborate please.

Do correct me if I'm wrong but, you want it to be an automatic process backed by a script, yes? Because if were doing it strictly by script means, I'm not sure that would really bode well and make punishments feel "robotic" so to speak.

Just now, Tzula said:

Do correct me if I'm wrong but, you want it to be an automatic process backed by a script, yes? Because if were doing it strictly by script means, I'm not sure that would really bode well and make punishments feel "robotic" so to speak.

No, that's not what I am suggesting. I am talking about fixed punishments, check my previous replies here.