Snow for Christmas?

Nervous

I love snow irl but it would be highly unrealistic in LS environment. Im shocked you guys even considering this.

"It does not regularly snow in the urban city of Los Angeles, but there are local mountain ranges within city limits that get snowfall every winter. However, the city and region around it has had snow few times throughout history: in 1882, 1921, 1932 (2 inches) and a big storm lasting 3 days in 1949 (several inches)." - quora

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Weather averages
MonthHigh / Low(°C)Rain

October26° / 16°1 day

November23° / 12°2 days

December20° / 9°4 days

January20° / 10°5 days

February21° / 10°5 days

March21° / 11°4 days

April23° / 13°2 days

May24° / 15°0 days

June26° / 17°0 days

July29° / 18°0 days

August29° / 19°0 days

September29° / 18°0 days

October26° / 16°1 day

November23° / 12°2 days

December20° / 9°4 days
7 minutes ago, Semy-Automatic said:

Its only a game jeesh, why cant people just have fun with some snow?

Why can't I have fun with running random people over and shooting them? Gee-Golly its just a game, loosen up.

1 minute ago, Liam_Airey said:

If you think that's a reasonable comparison to what he said I really don't know what to say... 

They are both unrealistic things that are not common irl.

5 hours ago, Law said:

As if there’s going to be more than 12 pages of posts about whether we get snow or not when we can’t get over 2 pages of discussion for serious rule and script changes. Priorities are off the charts for something that’s temporary rather than permanent. 

+1 to this actually. Priorities are wayyyyyyy off the charts. And I already feel shame that I tried to debate this topic. My deepest apologies to Liam_Airey and Semy-Automatic - of course we should have snow. And lava too.

22 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

+1 to this actually. Priorities are wayyyyyyy off the charts. And I already feel shame that I tried to debate this topic. My deepest apologies to Liam_Airey and Semy-Automatic - of course we should have snow. And lava too.

One's been established as existing in the server universe, and one hasn't. As discussed before in the thread, roleplay ≠ realism. Roleplay is determined by how a player exists within an established in game universe, and their quality of behavior within that sphere. It is almost a strictly GTA RP thing to want to emulate IRL so bad. Imagine RPing in a Fallout game and being like, "Why should we even have glowing rain when it doesn't exist IRL? ?" when it's been in the universe since the first game.

and what's up with the defensive sarcasm my man, there something you need to talk about?

25 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

I know right! what's next!? People blasting through downtown "LA" in the middle of the day at 100+ MPH? Gangbangers mining for extra change? Paying 300+ dollars to enter cheap run down bars?!

Seriously though no matter how much you try twist it, the server isn't the most realistic depiction of "LA" or whatever people want to call it and pretending it is would be just lying to yourself.

Out of ALL of the things that could be considered wrong and in need of a change (like you said yourself) why is snow such a big deal to you that you need to get all defensive over it?

Apart from the scenery change, the only thing coming from snow is more unique RP and I don't know about you but why wouldn't I want MORE roleplay on a ROLEPLAY SERVER?  

I love how the discussion about Official Status is 3 pages while the Snow topic is 13 pages. Some people really have their priorities set out straight.

I believe the only value snow would have would be for the christmas atmosphere. That's it. Most of the playerbase will not roleplay the snow, hell most of them will probably even ignore it, which in turn will result in admins having to enforce people acting accordingly. And then people will have issues with snow being forced down their throats. It's exactly what happened last year.

As much as people want to throw the "unique rp" thing around, last year has shown that it will be ignored by a sizeable amount of people, who will then in turn complain about it being forced their throat. 

I think having a few days of snow around Christmas, 23-24-25-26 would be the most acceptable compromise, but not a full month of snow. It'll be funny for the first hour then it will just be ignored. Moreover, I have gripes with it. For all we've been trying to enforce as higher standards and a more realistic depiction, we're going to throw in a month of snow; I think a lot of people will consider that a hypocritical move from us.

So, if this does go through, I hope people are ready for admins enforcing the roleplay around snow and ice, because I personally won't just let people ignore it after they said they want it.

47 minutes ago, Liam_Airey said:

I know right! what's next!? People blasting through downtown "LA" in the middle of the day at 100+ MPH? Gangbangers mining for extra change? Paying 300+ dollars to enter cheap run down bars?!

The first case should be reported and the second one is unrealistic as well. Third one with bars can be realistic as the currency isn't adapted 100% 1 on 1.

49 minutes ago, Liam_Airey said:

Seriously though no matter how much you try twist it, the server isn't the most realistic depiction of "LA" or whatever people want to call it and pretending it is would be just lying to yourself.

Out of ALL of the things that could be considered wrong and in need of a change (like you said yourself) why is snow such a big deal to you that you need to get all defensive over it?

Apart from the scenery change, the only thing coming from snow is more unique RP and I don't know about you but why wouldn't I want MORE roleplay on a ROLEPLAY SERVER?  

That does not mean we should knowingly add more unrealistic things to the server. 

56 minutes ago, whatsakat. said:

One's been established as existing in the server universe, and one hasn't. As discussed before in the thread, roleplay ≠ realism. Roleplay is determined by how a player exists within an established in game universe, and their quality of behavior within that sphere. It is almost a strictly GTA RP thing to want to emulate IRL so bad. Imagine RPing in a Fallout game and being like, "Why should we even have glowing rain when it doesn't exist IRL? ?" when it's been in the universe since the first game.

and what's up with the defensive sarcasm my man, there something you need to talk about?

Fallout is a sci-fi fantasy game. Should I be able to RP as a ghost then? Some believe they exist irl.