Cops stacking gun charges for life sentences

Cops stacking gun charges for life sentences   

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, AB Cordless said:

There's been a practice happening lately and in the past, where arresting officers and DA prosecutors would catch someone with a handful of guns, and then charge each firearm as a separate felony charge; one gives 5 criminal points and you can do the math for how much points you'd get for 3-4-5 firearms (plus the points from the ammunition charge).

This leads to characters ending up with more criminal points and jail time for gun charges than they would get for a murder charge or drug trafficking. If you have 0 criminal points and get caught with a handful of guns and ammunition, you easily get over 30+ criminal points and a life sentence. It sets a bad precedent where a gang RPer can get raided, have a couple guns, and end up with a life sentence just because of that.

This seems very unbalanced, not well thought out, and like an oversight of how our penal code should be applied. It'd be like instead of getting charged for drug trafficking, you get a separate charge for every ounce of dope.

I'm making this thread in an effort for admins to hopefully notice how broken this is and help rectify it.

Hey so I wanted to address this as DAO leadership;

We are currently speaking to LFM and the prosecutor about this. We recently implemented a more micromanagy system to ensure court cases are listed for ease of viewing, evidently we missed this due to certain ic events happening. Evidently too, this wasn't supposed to happen so we are going to address this case here and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Personally, I would rather no charge can get stacked but that's just my opinion.

We'll work this out everyone, don't worry.

7 minutes ago, AB Cordless said:

You're either missing the point of the thread or ignoring it on purpose. The issue is that if you get raided and they find a ton of drugs, you get nowhere near a life sentence. If you get arrested for a murder you can also land below life sentence criminal points. That's the level of severity the penal code was designed with on purpose. But if they catch you with more than a few guns then you enter life sentence range criminal points.

It's nothing to do with taking responsibility or laying low, it's just that the combination of penal code + the way they stack charges + the way those points are added up and prosecuted, does not make sense compared to other more-severe crimes.

Okay, so if realism is the argument, then let's make jail sentences longer. But, of course, realism only applies when it benefits someone. I get your point, but it just seems like people only want realism when it's in their favour. Nobody wants a challenge, anymore. 

EDIT: Doesn't really matter to me, but every day there's complaints when something doesn't go in someone's favour, ICly. Here's an example of such. But, people begged for jail sentences to be lower because, despite it not being realistic, they lowered it because people complained over their losses rather than being ICly responsible for their mistakes. I don't want to derail this, any longer, though. So, moving forward.

Edited by DLimit

This has been addressed - the laws behind it don't actually allow for that charge to be stacked, especially in the way evidence was provided in this case.   We have taken steps to prevent this re-occurring and will be removing the over-use of this charge from the players record.   If there are any further examples which have slipped under the radar feel free to send me links in forum pms.

I'll be locking this as there's no constructive feedback from this situation as it was purely an oversight and is not an intended result of the system in question.  This will not be happening again.

• Upvote 1
  • Phased locked this topic