Court case times

Narco

I've rp'd a judge on here for years so my opinion is probably a little biased, but here are my thoughts 

- some cases take longer than others, player availability, complex arguments, OOC intervention

- the vast majority of cases move through quicker

- a lot of us do JSA on alts, and in a lot of cases we do it to enrich others rp experience. I don't spend a lot of time ig on my judge.  I hope players enjoy that we try to add some jeopardy to their  journey through the world of GTAW

- that said a complicated case can literally take over 10 hours of lawyer and judge time. Its a significant commitment from all involved 

- as mentioned before bail has been reworked to afford IC options to avoid jail and the No contest plea exists also

Ultimately we want speedy trials for everyone but sometimes it just doesn't work out 

Also, I think all three branches of JSA are currently hiring. It's a fun community that will support you massively on the journey through the courts. You don't need much knowledge and we try to coach and mentor people as much as possible.  I actually think we only have a couple of actual lawyers in the entire faction. Most of us just enjoy the alternative rp experience and learn form each other.

• Thanks 1
On 2/18/2023 at 11:49 PM, MarcoEL said:

Honestly, the server lacks interrogaiton roleplay, people do crimes and no one interrogates them, why, how, when, their motives etc.

I honestly disagree with this statement. There are times where people are interrogated for extensive periods of time; however, we try not to make it a habit because it may sometimes be considered an inconvenience and we most likely wont conduct them unless we’re confident that there is a missing piece of evidence that a certain suspect may be in possession of.

Edited by Kenth
  • Upvote 1

As the JSA faction leader, we understand that court cases can take a considerable amount of time and this is due to the often complexity of the legal arguments involved, regarding research etc from all parties involved. In addition, we all have lives outside of the game and it is a role that is very intensive.

The bail system was introduced for not guilty pleas in order to have people be released on bail and not have to wait in TTCF extensively whilst they are arraigned. Obviously, this is not permitted for serious offences such as murder.

A nolo contendere (no-contest) plea will allow you to serve your time and be released - you can then find an attorney to file an appeal and have a trial, or do so yourself, without being imprisoned during the time period.

We appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the process and will take everything into account.

For full transparency, this is the bail schedule. Any offence you commit is added up and total bail is calculated. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jlu8AltrHmOR192CAhznfsfZBxrv6_EMGuXFW7SwRdU/edit?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, Cartoonhead said:

Hmm, maybe lowering bail costs? Then lawyers and courts can still actually do their jobs and not get fucked over, while the defendant isnt sitting in a cell for 30+ days

• Upvote 1
On 2/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, Peruvian Flake said:

I don't really have a problem with it. It gives you enough time to develop your character in TTCF. Like @Kenthsaid, you can always plead ''No contest'' and fight your charges anyways. 

I agree but theres only so much  u can do, most of the times there isnt much inmates and if there is they are afking in their cells, also not a lot of guards on but SD are picking up on this lately, been seeing some more guards on.

As OP suggested, ensuring that court cases have a certain amount of time is good on paper, however, this does neglect the human aspect of everything. NC should be the default charge for NG for the sake of RP purposes, I agree. The issue is, Judges are incredibly niche. You can replace a Police Chief, but you can't replace a Chief Justice, the RP is just so niche and dedicated, like the obligations judges and other attorney's have is something to note.

Wanna make a difference? Go apply.

• Upvote 1

Once I pleaded not guilty on a character due to the fact the officer in charge told me I could only plead guilty or not guilty. Got a 999 jailtime. And was stuck in limbo for 9 days with 0 rp because the female jail was empty.

No court case was ever started and got out on a habeus corpus after there was no evidence (And they admitted to stalling due to a report which again was a rulebreak in itself)  in the case and overall it was just a stinky experience because I got locked out of rp and received zero communication ic or ooc. I spent one day online for 8 hours just to see if anyone would come in and I still had zero rp which is almost common courtesy in itself to lock people out of being able to rp. 

Definitely needs something. At least a min of like 24 hours to start up the case to get the ball rolling. Instead of 9 days of limbo and no contact from anyone. 

• Upvote 3