Modify IC prison time roleplay guidelines

Sebz

Currently 1 irl day = one in game month. Make it so that 1 irl day = one in game year. Discuss

My logic: Murder = 18 days = 18 months (not gonna happen irl) But if 18 days = 18 years? I can see it if they get paroled somehow.

Edit: Naturally of course, you RP the time how you want to at the end of the day. But this would be a more realistic suggestion/guideline and would look much better in SA Courts threads. 18 months for murder is a joke.

Edited by Sebz
  • Upvote 1

Back under bospy's regime in the DA's office we were asked not to use those guidelines for serious felonies & apply rather realistic numbers (i.e. 10-15 yrs for manslaughter, 15-20 for 2nd degree homicide). Truth be told that time & perception of such is already a really tricky topic on GTAW (i.e. characters aging up, not taking time literally) and I think it's best just left how it currently is. The status quo is somehow maintained and it works.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Back under bospy's regime in the DA's office we were asked not to use those guidelines for serious felonies & apply rather realistic numbers (i.e. 10-15 yrs for manslaughter, 15-20 for 2nd degree homicide). Truth be told that time & perception of such is already a really tricky topic on GTAW (i.e. characters aging up, not taking time literally) and I think it's best just left how it currently is. The status quo is somehow maintained and it works.

Maybe having a mandatory age up in serious felonies to get out should be something we discuss? I ain't too sure how well it would work but it would make character development a crazy thing.

43 minutes ago, Bandit. said:

Maybe having a mandatory age up in serious felonies to get out should be something we discuss? I ain't too sure how well it would work but it would make character development a crazy thing.

don't think we should ever mandate age ups or we're going to end up with 16 year olds from davis who go to jail for murder and come out a month later older than their OGs who stayed out of the pen lol

Time is a really touchy subject for RP servers that's best skirted around on an individual basis, much like real distances and just where the fuck Los Santos actually is

• Upvote 2

I'm not a fan of this personally, age-ups already result in really weird circumstances, making it mandatory will increase that ten fold and add a much heavier OOC factor to it all that can't really be ignored.

Slight example-

I have a custody char in his 50s. There's multiple individuals I've seen come in and out multiple times. Depending on their age, forced age ups could eventually enter an area where we have to basically void all prior interaction or put extra stress on trying to figure out how prior interactions make sense and roll into new scenes. 

Without this even, there are cases where individuals do somewhat sensibly age up, but then, they're the same age or older than my character despite me meeting them in their early 20s. There's no real way to approach this without having to add an entire OOC element of adjusting roleplay that's already been done and sprinkling an OOC built narrative around it.

Same vice versa for LEO characters, take the extreme examples of the folks who never really roleplay their time and get arrested like 3-4 times a week, and stack up like 50 charges in a few months. If you're working in custody, you could very well meet a lower quality teenage character, and remain the same exact age while the person you meet as a teenager is now a 30 years old.

Edited by Midwest
  • Upvote 2

I would be okay with age-ups if murders weren't so easy to come by. But it gets tricky because you might RP with a certain group of friends or a faction and the age gap in a month would be crazy and hard to insert into their development.

Let me be clear by saying: Forced age ups are not part of this suggestion at all. The suggestion is to change the 'suggested rp time' or 'guidelines' about how the prison time is roleplayed. Never will it be forced upon anyone. I just think that things look weird on legal documents when you see '18 months' for a murder. You can RP being sentenced to 18 years and (somehow) getting out in 18 months, that's fine. Sounds a lot less weird that way IMO. I hope that makes sense.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:11 AM, Sebz said:

Currently 1 irl day = one in game month. Make it so that 1 irl day = one in game year. Discuss

My logic: Murder = 18 days = 18 months (not gonna happen irl) But if 18 days = 18 years? I can see it if they get paroled somehow.

Edit: Naturally of course, you RP the time how you want to at the end of the day. But this would be a more realistic suggestion/guideline and would look much better in SA Courts threads. 18 months for murder is a joke.

How's a 16 y/o gangbanger gonna RP being in jail for 18 years....

I say it should be applied to certain charges not all, some to be taken as years and others to be taken in months.

I like the idea of scaling it more and as Sebz noted it's not saying to force age ups, but just change the suggestion. I think we need some balance based on the type of crime, for quite heavy charges then this does make sense to me and I think higher aging leads to less repetition of the same roleplay, crime, and not really developing.