DISARM SECURITY GUARDS

Do you think security guards /really/ need guns?  

383 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is no reason to have armed security guards on this server, it's a by pass for characters to have PF/CCW guns on here and to act like first responders. People that get into security in real life are not hard charging heroes. From what I have encountered it has been nothing but a pain. Either fully disarm these people or only allow so many from a security company to have a firearm at one time.

EDIT: I understand security companies in real life have armed guards. This isn't a debate about that, it's about security companies acting as make-shift police officers and over stepping lines.

Edited by Bandit.
  • Upvote 11
  • Developer

Security mostly just chill at a venue taking entry fees with some outside preventing car jackers. We also respond to alarms installed by us.

If you have a problem with how they act then take it IC.

Now the fact you don't even mention tasers or batons means this post is based on one encounter alone as we use firearms as a last resort and use the baton more than any other weapon 90% of the time.

• Upvote 7

The issue are the players involved in low quality roleplay, not neccessarily the tools they have. I believe IC and OOC consequences should be dished out more frequently for those so-called vigilantes, rather than limiting the handful of good roleplayers. It totally isn't uncommon for security guards to carry firearms in the US, even in California. However, depending on the state there's usually a duty to retreat when operating in a security capacity. Exactly that prevents security guards/loss prevention people from going full rambo mode. 

The fact that you did not even mention the Guard Card, says a lot about this thread. To act as a guard with a fire arm you must pass the Guard Card exam, have a read to the manual ( https://fld.gta.world/info/GCMANUAL ) and the license information ( https://fld.gta.world/info/GC ). 

If people go around doing stupid stuff they get arrested immediately, if they do something that has a reason they simply don't get arrested. 

Also no, being a security guard isn't a reason to get a CCW.

Edited by roymar
13 minutes ago, Bandit. said:

EDIT: I understand security companies in real life have armed guards. This isn't a debate about that, it's about security companies acting as make-shift police officers and over stepping lines.

Happens a lot in real life.

• Upvote 3

There should at least be harsh punishments IC(OOC too) for overstepping and delving into vigilantism as a mere security guard. I know mallcops are a thing irl, but it gets to a ridiculous point if every security guard essentially rps a wannabe cop without the training. Mallcop RP encourages low-quality roleplay scenarios and for guards to resolve issues with straight up violence first rather than de-escalation. It's borderline DM and encourages kill-hungry players to join up as guards.

Edited by SpicyBandito
2 minutes ago, FatCatTuxedo said:

Security mostly just chill at a venue taking entry fees with some outside preventing car jackers. We also respond to alarms installed by us.

If you have a problem with how they act then take it IC.

Now the fact you don't even mention tasers or batons means this post is based on one encounter alone as we use firearms as a last resort and use the baton more than any other weapon 90% of the time.

What they do isn't the issue, it's how they choose to respond to situations outside their "job description". You are not a first responder.

Security guards acting like vigilantes and chasing down armed criminals outside of the area/object they're set to guard, instead of calling the police is poor portrayal/lack of fear RP/and a RPQM issue in my opinion. If you want to be a cop, apply for SD or PD. If they carry a firearm it should be strictly for self-defense not to up it on somebody because the player doesn't understand the concept for de-escalation.

Tasors and batons aren't an issue. They are for the most part non-lethals unless you go overboard. I don't think anyone has an issue with security guards applying these tools. They were likely not brought up because they have nothing to do with the point he's trying to make. It's not a one-time occurrence either. Clips of security guard RP'ers trying to imitate John Wick pop up almost daily.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1