Special characters in names

It's fully possible to have special characters in names that are universal for English keyboards.

Example: Sun-hee

Example: O'Neill

There's no reason to not have them on this client when they work elsewhere on RP servers.

Specifical characters that aren't universal or realistic shouldn't be included.

Example: é

Example: õ

Edit: If it isn't possible, capitalizing two letters in the name should be possible if they're not next to each other.

Ex: McNeill 

Edit: As someone that has had a - name for going on 9 months I can say it has never caused any issue when it comes to my stats or the ability of players to do commands with me.

Edited by Balkan Beast

I agree, my character's name is Ati-A Sou, which is easily one of the worst names for this system, containing three capital letters and a hyphen. It misrepresents me in roleplay to have people type my name in its current state, and it's a bit of a blow every time I RP with somebody, as I often have to clarify the proper format. Most people then forget the preferred format, as it's not visible anywhere and can be easily forgotten.
I complained about this from the get-go, as many servers allow for ethnic names with universal characters.
Hopefully they add support for this, or even if it's not open for players, add a whitelisting option so admins can approve namechanges in this format to make sure it can't be abused.

also any admins reading this, hmu if you have the power because I want my character's real name ;)

Edited by Farostoli
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jimenez said:

This is something that's both a security risk and it's not supported by most fonts. 

Can you explain how a comma or hyphen is a security risk?

What fonts are they not in that would impact the server?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For name monitoring the best way to handle that is to have testers and admins be the ones who determine whether a name is approved for in-game or not.  The current system just seems set up to make the person buy an NC and create in-game work. I had no problem doing that for names on a server of similar size to this one on GTMP. 

5 hours ago, Orcaninja said:

Can you explain how a comma or hyphen is a security risk?

What fonts are they not in that would impact the server?

Some special characters serve a double purpose in C# or MySQL, allowing for injection or other security breaches to take place.

16 hours ago, Jimenez said:

Some special characters serve a double purpose in C# or MySQL, allowing for injection or other security breaches to take place.

I really doubt the reason for not allowing special characters is script injection, as frameworks exist to sanitise such text before storing it in a database or executing it. It is more probably an oversight or a wish to keep things simple for people trying to type out unconventional names when in Roleplay or commands (such as /id). But I stand to be corrected by a developer, of course.

So long as it is only for characters like hyphens ( ' ) and dashes ( - ) and not fancily accentuated characters which are a pain to remember the ASCII codes for and type out, this suggestion has my support.

• Rukka locked this topic