Modify Rule 9 to include suicide as disgusting RP.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, MarcoEL said:

Facebrowser shouldn't exist at the first place, cringe and unnecessary to be honest. All the bullshit are in FB, No FB = QoL

IKR, lets close the entire server, cause is also “cringe” seeing the amount of pixelated characters walking around playing their way into all sorts of roleplay.

RolePlay should be diverse and as much as expanded with all the colors and variations to it as it is by definition.

Eventually, what’s the logic of “RP” as a whole if you legitimately restrict if not stop completely every possible way to make as much as rp in the end for players to enjoy this very genre of game? 

• Upvote 1
On 1/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, HappyPancake said:

Even after all this time the majority of everyone here didn't grasp the actual concept of the suggestion. 

Who said suiciding should be banned altogether? The very suggestion aims to classify it as offensive RP, which is true since this kind of RP can offend people who struggle with this matter. 

The practical aim of it is to avoid it being casually posted around like it's some kind of achievement on FaceBrowser, on the forums, or in game, because clearly at some point the attention seeking is obnoxious, especially when poorly developped.

As I stated before, I'm not in favor of it being banned as sometimes there are genuine, well-developed reasons for it to happen but it SHOULD be something players who may have been effected by suicide IRL (maybe loosing friends or family to it, or have had thoughts themselves) should be able to opt-out of. People come to GTAW to escape the pitfalls of real life, not to be reminded of it just because someone wanted to be the center of attention for half an hour. It's for this exact same reason covid and other such things were banned from being roleplayed. Like I also said I don't think it falls under disgusting or offensive rp, it's just something that may trigger real life traumas. Which isn't something that should be mocked or bashed in any way shape or form and it is rarely roleplayed properly. Perhaps a subsection under rule 9?

25 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

players who may have been effected by suicide IRL

Anyone should be able to choose it's not RP that they want to be around for.

This isn't a random interaction (such as a robbery) that involves you from the start. Whether you are a cop, ambulance personnel or a civilian who walks by, you can just decide to not respond or to keep walking if you don't want to interact with suicide RP and seclude yourself from the situation instead.

1 hour ago, BjornV said:

Anyone should be able to choose it's not RP that they want to be around for.

This isn't a random interaction (such as a robbery) that involves you from the start. Whether you are a cop, ambulance personnel or a civilian who walks by, you can just decide to not respond or to keep walking if you don't want to interact with suicide RP and seclude yourself from the situation instead.

You could use that exact same, cop out argument to cover a lot of stuff that's in rule 9. You COULD just walk away from the dude flashing you but it's still not allowed PERIOD, why? Because times have changed. You COULD just walk away from erp on a busy public beach but they're still expected to keep it out of everyone elses view where it could be seen by passers by. These rules are in place because players have proven time and again, they can't be decent or respectful to eachother let alone self moderate if given the choice.

I don't think you understand the point at all. Imagine you're suffering from depression, and you come on GTAW to escape for a while then you're IC friend directly involves you because for whatever reason, you're the soul focus of their character's tendencies. It's not something you can just walk away from 'cos sooner or later, you'll have to deal with whatever consequences come. To me, that's just not okay. You should be able to remove yourself from said situation without any IC/OOC repercussions if you're involuntarily involved. If you happen to walk by a scene? Sure just keep walking, don't respond. I get that, it's pretty simple but at the same time you should still be considerate to those you choose to involve, make sure they're okay with it. There's no need to make someone have a miserable experience just so you can be edgy mcedgelord.

We should class murder as disgusting rp too, It ruins my enjoyment of the server I can't believe that murder is still ok in 2023!!!

But really, nobody is holding a gun to your head and keeping you in the game. You know you can just ALT + F4 and go play pokemon or something, not a single piece of roleplay is forced upon anyone YOU have the option just to not participate in it by leaving.

• Upvote 2

It's really crazy to me how people have become so sensitive and easily affected by things. We are all nerds that are here to roleplay a realistic setting with realistic issues and realistic problems that our characters have to face. People had previously tried banning robbing, which is just a stupid thing to suggest as a whole. If the suicide of a character in a video game has such an impact on your mental health and well being, maybe you should step away from the computer for a while and face your problems. That's just not normal. If I witness a traumatic event in real life, say it's gun violence in real life, should we also ban that? Should we ban everything negative in this world to provide people an ability to escape reality? I personally don't think so. This has also been a growing trend all over the internet as a whole. 

Now that we've tackled why something like suicide or death as a whole shouldn't be banned, let's face the real problem, roleplay quality and people seeking attention (in game). The reason why I added brackets there is because my point can easily be misunderstood as me stating that all people suffering from depression that lean towards taking their own life are attention seekers, which is not the case, but people like to twist words to fit their own narrative, so I clarify what I mean from the get go.

People have been roleplaying their characters suicide for as long as I remember, some do it more in depth and slowly drain the life of their character, while others just jump off a building in game with little reason to it. Believe it or not, but people have even recorded voice recordings of a suicide note and posted it on Facebrowser. Some want to go out in a flashy way with the big red text for everyone to see and get mass tagged on Discord, while others just want to put an end to their characters story due to an accident or long development leading up to it, which is fine. The issue is people overdoing it. I've seen a couple of instances where people will roleplay their character taking their own life over their partner leaving them. Yes, it does happen in real life, but people in game speedrun the whole process 90% of the time. Is it bad? Sure. Should we as a community do something to fix it? Probably, yeah. Should we ban it? I don't think so.

People have previously suggested removing the CK message from the public eye, which certainly could work, but it's also a step in the wrong direction. We shouldn't remove a feature to fix a mentality issue. We can't really fix the issue of low quality suicides because it goes hand in hand with the overall roleplay quality of the server. You can't fix one without fixing the other. I have seen some outstanding character stories come to an end as a result of a CK by suicide. It's a part of the experience. It creates a story both for the character doing it, and the people around them. As for people roleplaying their relatives and whatnot logging onto their Facebrowser account to post about their suicide, please don't. Your characters loved ones probably have better things to worry about than instantly running to your characters computer/phone to post and collect sad reacts on Facebrowser. Let another players character do it for you once they find out.

To quote a wise man that I saw on the forums recently: hahaha idiot wrote book
So I will sum this up for anyone that could be interested in reading me going in circles only to come up with nothing meaningful:
1) If you feel offended or you're feeling as if the roleplay occurring in front of you/around you is taking a toll on your mental health and you're about to have a panic attack or whatnot, please remove yourself from the situation and not the situation as a whole. 

2) It's a roleplay server, it comes with some good and some bad, and you can't have one without the other. 

3) If you feel as if an in games characters actions can trigger something inside of you, please go deal with your problems. I know it's easier said than done, but sitting here and hoping for your escapism to suddenly fix all of your problems without any actions won't do you any good either. I would rather see people living happy lives than coming here to momentarily escape their problems and then suffer the same thing next day.

4) People have their own reasons to roleplay suicide, but if you're going to do it through some half-ass way, just delete/namechange the character.

5) Don't roleplay your characters loved ones posting about their death. They got more important things to do.

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1
6 hours ago, Moonsong said:

As I stated before, I'm not in favor of it being banned as sometimes there are genuine, well-developed reasons for it to happen but it SHOULD be something players who may have been effected by suicide IRL (maybe loosing friends or family to it, or have had thoughts themselves) should be able to opt-out of.

4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

You could use that exact same, cop out argument to cover a lot of stuff that's in rule 9. You COULD just walk away from the dude flashing you but it's still not allowed PERIOD, why? Because times have changed. You COULD just walk away from erp on a busy public beach but they're still expected to keep it out of everyone elses view where it could be seen by passers by. These rules are in place because players have proven time and again, they can't be decent or respectful to eachother let alone self moderate if given the choice.

This is exactly my point.

People should be able to opt-out of this if they wish to. Don't ban the RP, simply allow people to say "nah, not my style." and ignore it/walk away. 

I'm supporting what you said but believe that it shouldn't be limited to a group of people- especially because it's very hard to establish yourself as being part of that group of people without doxxing yourself