Realism vs. Conservative LS

babygoat

man i really hate these discussions... theres no RIGHT way to roleplay someone from la, la is a diverse city with every type of person you can imagine.

the map is small and this is ROLEPLAY so at the end of the day you're going to come across those mean mean mean bullies who make fun of your character for being homosexual. 

there is no solution to your problem except to stay ic, if it bothers u that much just ignore it, really not that hard. 

homophobic people exist even in LA which is a very liberal city, there's still a lot of people who look at homosexual people a certain way, especially criminals. This is a dramatize depiction of the real world, if this was 1:1 no one would play because they'd be so bored. 

• Upvote 6

I promise the majority of gang bangers in LA (which is the Majority of Los santos) is not accepting of homosexuality. 

Not to mention that a large majority of trans / gay characters don’t know how to roleplay properly and will make that trait the entire characters personality, almost ignorantly portraying them, inviting people to provoke them. Describing your character as an “extravagant gay man” seemingly making your entire character about being gay stands to that. 

Definitely too much European self inserts though. 

Edited by Kucheras
  • Upvote 6
21 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

"Just because it does happen IRL, doesn't mean that it should happen IG."

Exactly that.
People always refer to IRL whenever it plays out in their favor, but come up with the argument that the game shouldn't be treated like IRL if it goes against their will.
It's funny to see people's mind change in that regard.

Anyways, like stated by others most are struggling to properly role-play a character living in Los Angeles / Los Santos (or Americans in general) as they simply don't know how it is to live there. You have your European white dudes acting like they're Crips/Bloods IRL who googled the gangs and watched a few Youtube videos, the people who have "lived in LS their entire life" but have bad grammar and portrayal, then the rest who are just in for the quick money so they can drive the most expensive car there is while they can only afford one day of insurance for it.

It's a game down the line and people have to realize that, the server has it's own lore/continuity, most factions and businesses are as realistic to LA standards as possible but having a 1:1 IRL clone wouldn't work out in the end.

Down the line it's up to us what we want to RP, be it a neo-nazi, a overly wealthy person, a homeless dude, or a Davis gangbanger, we do have the options to play as whatever we want here, something we might never be able to experience IRL, this includes good and bad things. But even bad things can lead up to great character development and I'm sometimes glad bad things happen to my character cause I get to figure out what to do next, how to make my char learn from this experience etc etc.

There's always the staff team and/or other players you could reach out to for questions or possible guidance if something rubbed you the wrong way. We've all been there and there's no shame in seeking help or talk to others about things that bother you (like this thread now for example).

We all play on the server to take some time off of real life, come home after a hard day of work, and just wanna sit back and RP with our friends, that's all there is.

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

16 minutes ago, joebidensmokesyesca said:

man i really hate these discussions... theres no RIGHT way to roleplay someone from la, la is a diverse city with every type of person you can imagine.

the map is small and this is ROLEPLAY so at the end of the day you're going to come across those mean mean mean bullies who make fun of your character for being homosexual. 

there is no solution to your problem except to stay ic, if it bothers u that much just ignore it, really not that hard. 

homophobic people exist even in LA which is a very liberal city, there's still a lot of people who look at homosexual people a certain way, especially criminals. This is a dramatize depiction of the real world, if this was 1:1 no one would play because they'd be so bored. 

I get your point but if we're taking into account fun over realism which I do think is a very valid point, as @Moonsong stated, roleplayers should be taking into account both parties and when it gets to the point where your character cannot hint at their sexuality by simply dancing with another man for example, you really have a hard time portraying something that might not solely define your character but is definitely an important part of who they are. At this point, I refrain most of the time from roleplaying elements of my character's sexuality just because most people roleplay very conservative characters. A 1:1 ratio is not what I'm asking for but just a bit of balance. And again this conversation is not only limited to homosexuality/homophobia.

13 minutes ago, Kucheras said:

I promise the majority of gang bangers in LA (which is the Majority of Los santos) is not accepting of homosexuality. 

Not to mention that a large majority of trans / gay characters don’t know how to roleplay properly and will make that trait the entire characters personality, almost ignorantly portraying them, inviting people to provoke them. Describing your character as an “extravagant gay man” seemingly making your entire character about being gay stands to that. 

Definitely too much European self inserts though. 

If I am defining my character by the trait that is relevant to this topic; it doesn't mean that it's all my character is about.

59 minutes ago, joebidensmokesyesca said:

💯💯

10 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

I'm sure you're more than familiar with it.

Well…as an African American male yes I am pretty familiar with it. Nutella is my favorite spread for toast.

anyway, to contribute to the topic there are plenty of people on the server I think are closeted racist, homophobes, etc. and they hide behind their character to push that narrative. But you can never which is their character and which is them unless they say something OOC so the best choice is to keep it IC. i mean above me you have a guy already giving me an offended feeling. 

Edited by ZaE
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

That's how I know I'm right, because it makes people like you angry. 🤪

Why are you mad about black people saying a piece of their slang? Most of the 'teenangers' on here come from YBN, FiveM, exactly. And a vast majority are African American from what I've gathered from the community. There is a large portion of illegal roleplay that are from other countries but another good majority are black folk and you are saying that they can't/shouldn't say their own word IC and OOCly?

Why is it YOUR place as a Caucasian (sorry if you aren't Caucasian, but that's what I've gathered) to dictate what comes out of a African American man(or kid)'s mouth? At least in terms of the "N-Word"

Deciding if someone's character exists solely to push their OOCly racist, homophobic, etc. agenda is difficult. You can't tell someone what their character is saying is OOC when they are roleplaying a character.

Edited by ZaE
  • Upvote 2