Forum Moderation Sub Team

Wuhtah

3 hours ago, Shaderz said:

Plugins to cut out words after going beyond the limit or to restrict typing after they reach it exist, and they could be used in in this instance. This would eliminate all the problems you brought up.

If they can limit the plug-in to a specific section it would make it much easier sure. Depends on if those plug-ins have a permission system or if they apply to the entire site. I would imagine if one of these plug-ins worked, they’d have already used it by now. Last I checked, they haven’t. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, Zach.. said:

2. make admins regardless of rank have to do 1-2 forum reports a month.

4. enforce admins actually handling reports. over and over I see reports that have an admin assigned that havent touched it in a month. if the same admins keep forgetting about reports, remove them.

Preface: I say this with the utmost respect, though I also feel strongly that It's worth being said:

Its frustrating as a member of the community to only ever see the handful of admins taking forum reports. So often it seems as though admins only take reports for their friends and then go back into hibernation until the next time one of their buddies needs help. More transparency on the improvement efforts being made might be beneficial to help change that narrative.. And if not that, then accountability for those who aren't contributing where they should be might be in order.
I will say:  For the first time in a very long time, the Pending Reports page had nothing on it (even if it was short lived). It was both refreshing and shocking to witness, and there are only a handful of admins to thank for that. Kudos to those responsible.

• Upvote 2

@MistressOfMayhem - if you have proof of admins only taking reports for their friends to help their friends, we need to know. We don't know who is friends with who. 

Saying things like this, then not reporting it, is why staff management is blinded by the things you guys say.

So instead of just saying it just to say it, if it's actually true, PLEASE report it so we can fix it. How else will we fix something. Your name can be made anonymous, or anyone, it will be investigated, and if it proves true, dealt with.

• Upvote 2

I think the best course of action would be is to evaluate and assess the people who are not pulling their weight in the staff team. There is no reason for an admin to hold up the reports for months. I hate it when this happens and no action is taken, not that I'm aware of.

I've had held up my reports for extended period sometimes, but that's usually due to something out of my control. Admins who are generally lazy and are sitting there only for the perks and benefits of being an admin need to be removed.

As harsh as this sounds, but this is the steppingstone in direction of having an efficient staff team. People need to realize that they can always resign if they're not upto the task of being an admin on the server. I've rarely ever seen any admin being rejected from reinstatement after they've resigned from the team on good terms.

There's only so much a few admins can do before burning out and eventually leaving the team or losing any motivation to do anything for the community anymore.

Edited by Rohan.
  • Upvote 7
  • 2 weeks later...

The playerbase is around 200-250 on average lately which means there should be less player reports than normally, right?

This should also mean that the administrators (there are around 40 of them, excluding leads and management) would be able to handle any remaining reports.

Well, I'm disappointed to find out that 3 pages of pending reports are still collecting dust. I thought the low playerbase would allow the administrators to take their time and handle the reports accordingly since surely they won't be pressured by the abundance of reports. It's disappointing to see the opposite of it.

In my opinion, improving player report system will not fix the problem 100%.

Replacing administrators will.

GTALC mostly has new staff administrators and are concluding most reports within less than 24/48 hours. Take their examples, find what's wrong here and act accordingly.

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

The playerbase is around 200-250 on average lately which means there should be less player reports than normally, right?

This should also mean that the administrators (there are around 40 of them, excluding leads and management) would be able to handle any remaining reports.

Well, I'm disappointed to find out that 3 pages of pending reports are still collecting dust. I thought the low playerbase would allow the administrators to take their time and handle the reports accordingly since surely they won't be pressured by the abundance of reports. It's disappointing to see the opposite of it.

In my opinion, improving player report system will not fix the problem 100%.

Replacing administrators will.

GTALC mostly has new staff administrators and are concluding most reports within less than 24/48 hours. Take their examples, find what's wrong here and act accordingly.

Just a preface, this is my personal opinion and mine only. From my tenure in staff so far and my own experiences.

Right now, without counting the admins who recently resigned, a lot are on LOA for different reasons (School, Uni, work, personal reasons, etc) since summer is over. A good handful are also on LOA due to demotivation or burn out. It's only natural all things considered, motivation plays a big part on doing admin work. I'm not trying to excuse reports sitting for months on end, because there is no excuse. You'd never see one of mine sitting for more than a week, and if that happens, it's because something happened and I am physically unable to be there to conclude it.

However, I do agree with what @Rohan. said. Replacing people who can't and won't pull their weight is the way to go, I've always said it and I'll stand by it. Other subteams are also suffering from these LOAs, in the case I can personally talk about, PM has a lot of members on LOA at the moment, so having to sift through all these requests with less members can be really, really tiresome and can easily burn us out.

Overall, I think improving the player report system + making people take accountability for their lack of responsibility is the only way we can move forwards and improve.

Edited by JackieH
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
On 10/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, thekillergreece said:

As someone who's done his fair share of admin work on both the servers, I can tell you that the report system needs a big overhaul. I absolutely hate how players would write up 2000 word essays and reach out to admins via PM on forums to send their reply to the repor, it all adds up to burning out the admin and hating the reports. There have been times on SA when there were absolutely no reports to take, because everyone was active and motivated.

The same is happening for the LC server. Everyone is motivated and trying to prove themselves. 

Comparing the two teams is not the best approach, but finding a better way, a newer system and removing the lazy people is the way to go. It's a mixed effort, we can't really pinpoint a single thing and say "here's the problem, fix it."

• Applaud 1
45 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

As someone who's done his fair share of admin work on both the servers, I can tell you that the report system needs a big overhaul. I absolutely hate how players would write up 2000 word essays and reach out to admins via PM on forums to send their reply to the repor, it all adds up to burning out the admin and hating the reports. There have been times on SA when there were absolutely no reports to take, because everyone was active and motivated.

The same is happening for the LC server. Everyone is motivated and trying to prove themselves. 

Comparing the two teams is not the best approach, but finding a better way, a newer system and removing the lazy people is the way to go. It's a mixed effort, we can't really pinpoint a single thing and say "here's the problem, fix it."

I definitely think it is time to consider overhauling the current system in that case. The issues that are causing burnout with report handling need to be addressed and squashed. It's frankly ridiculous for players to go back and forth at one another; player A should have their say and player B should have theirs. Unnecessary replies and comments removed or ignored. The word count for the report needs to be strictly enforced and possibly even lowered: report details over the character limit? Instantly trashed.

• Wuhtah locked this topic