Facebrowser - sensitive content block consistency/removal

chanel

2 minutes ago, Steeled said:

It's stated in the FB rules that the IC mod team take action against posts, yet FB users can't make comments towards the team because apparently "they don't really exist" or that "they're npcs".

This is an old standing considering back in 2017-2019, Facebrowser was ran by I believe CodenameTim and it was kept as an IC platform while he was the IC CEO of it. Eventually it went downhill and ever since then the ownership and moderation of Facebrowser has remained OOC and will continue to remain OOC. No one's going to create a character to be a FB mod while they have other IC jobs and then they would have to NPC their leadership and borderline mix IC/OOC between what instructions they are given. This is not going to change despite how far the discussion goes. Moderators are OOC.

3 minutes ago, WatchingEye said:

@Frezemis

I don't think anyone's arguing about it and it's a necessary discussion this server needs to have if we are to come to a conclusion that is beneficial for every party. The problem here is not censorship in itself, again, I think it's a great solution to the problem but - the lack of consistency in it, as chanel proved above, and there's countless of other examples to be made but nobody has the time or energy to dedicate into making a montage of every photo that's uncensored on FB while some are censored.

The overall narrative here is, make censorships consistent or let it spiral into absolute chaos. 

Of course there's plenty of examples and of course the consistency isn't there. As a mod you don't have everyone added therefore, you cannot see a full newsfeed of everyone's posts. Biscuit has just touched on this while I was typing my response.

Anything that is sexualizing should be marked as NSFW. Those posts above, should be NSFW.

To be honest Facebrowser RP is just dead right now anyway. OOC censorship of IC drama has had a big part on it just becoming a slideshow of the same 3 uninspired Menyoo poses, gang members trying to sell drugs, and ads for the next club night.

Facebrowser was at its best when people would use it to generate all forms of beef, "complaint of the day" situations, and generally just a place for people to nag about the most vapid garbage possible (much like real social media). The platform itself is pretty wonky and engaging with content isn't always as easy as it could be. The whole AdmireMe situation sort of just further highlights the situation that Facebrowser lives and dies through provocative content, be it NSFW or otherwise. I understand the reasons why the decision was made but overall that sort of eliminates the charm of engaging with Facebrowser at all.

1 minute ago, Koko said:

OOC censorship of IC drama has had a big part on it j

I don’t agree with censoring drama. Let FB be more then gangbangers and erp for once. 

and hey check out me and @$CAR’s GTA:W Live discord 😹

Edited by ZaE
5 minutes ago, Steeled said:

This ^.

It doesn't make much sense how IC moderation on other platforms are completely IC but when it comes to Facebrowser, it's apparently OOC? We've been given the reason that it's moderators aren't IC because of how the team is small, yet we can't npc them and if we did we'd get in trouble because they'd see it as if we're insulting the mods OOC'ly?

It's stated in the FB rules that the IC mod team take action against posts, yet FB users can't make comments towards the team because apparently "they don't really exist" or that "they're npcs".

This needs to change tbh, if the FB mod team is small, it's not the users' fault and they shouldn't really be limited with what they can say if it's criticism directed to the "IC team".

Yup, I never understood this either. How there are no such IC facebrowser moderators and you can't talk bad about them IC'ly without getting trouble OOC.

Like I've seen it happen all the time. Someone posts something inapproprite on FB > FB moderators take down the post/image >  User gets upset and IC'ly trash talks FB moderators > Then FB mods start mixing ooc/ic and punishes the user ooc for breaking common courtesy or whatever. How does that make any sense?

In my opinion, this just makes no sense. FB is an IC platform. If an FB moderator takes down a post for breaking FB rules, that is meant to be an IC action right? So why are people getting OOC'ly punished for then trying to talk IC'ly back to FB moderators for their IC action? Don't get it.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Koko said:

To be honest Facebrowser RP is just dead right now anyway. OOC censorship of IC drama has had a big part on it just becoming a slideshow of the same 3 uninspired Menyoo poses, gang members trying to sell drugs, and ads for the next club night.

Facebrowser was at its best when people would use it to generate all forms of beef, "complaint of the day" situations, and generally just a place for people to nag about the most vapid garbage possible (much like real social media). The platform itself is pretty wonky and engaging with content isn't always as easy as it could be. The whole AdmireMe situation sort of just further highlights the situation that Facebrowser lives and dies through provocative content, be it NSFW or otherwise. I understand the reasons why the decision was made but overall that sort of eliminates the charm of engaging with Facebrowser at all.

I believe tackling the sexualizing posts with NSFW or removal if they are overly exposing would have tackled that and Facebrowser would be used as a social platform again. We don't censor drama, if it's been done you can bring it to my attention or Selena's attention. Drama is drama, it's a social site what do you expect. The sexual posts though? Admire Me is there for that.

Guns and Drugs were deemed to be marked as NSFW, they will remain and they can be used as IC action if the police ever want to engage in that. Let's make Facebrowser an actual social site again not a nudes and lewd pictures.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
Just now, Frezemis said:

I believe tackling the sexualizing posts with NSFW or removal if they are overly exposing would have tackled that and Facebrowser would be used as a social platform again. We don't censor drama, if it's been done you can bring it to my attention or Selena's attention. Drama is drama, it's a social site what do you expect. The sexual posts though? Admire Me is there for that.

Guns and Drugs were deemed to be marked as NSFW, they will remain and they can be used as IC action if the police ever want to engage in that. Let's make Facebrowser an actual social site again not a nudes and lewd pictures.

All hail Frezemis

Just now, ScarletRose said:

In my opinion, this just makes no sense. FB is an IC platform. If an FB moderator takes down a post for breaking FB rules, that is meant to be an IC action right? So why are people getting OOC'ly punished for then trying to talk IC'ly back to FB moderators for their IC action? Don't get it.

This part is in the middle of a discussion in the new rules. I have my own stance on it but we are working to get a stance to be documented and listed for everyone to see and reference to. We have been on an unofficial stance of keeping moderation completely OOC and no mention of it, there's a chance it will remain and there's a chance where you can mention moderation but you won't get a response about it on an IC stance.

As brought up in past threads, moderation on Facebrowser is fairly heavy handed where it does not need to be.

Players have the ability to unfollow, remove, or block other profiles they don't want to see. Besides this, for a server that rigorously talks about so-called realism on the forums and Discord so often, the way social media operates in GTA:W doesn't really align with real-world social media. Both Twitter and Instagram have far more revealing content than the average Facebrowser posts, and both sites are publicly accessible to everyone with hardly any measures in place to restrict what you end up witnessing.

I don't really see how arguments about using Facebrowser at work and wanting to avoid NSFW posts are particularly strong. I'd avoid using Facebrowser publicly even for normal posts - it'd look odd to be scrolling down a social media site full of GTA content regardless and would end up with too much explaining if someone asked you what it was.

7 minutes ago, Frezemis said:

Let's make Facebrowser an actual social site again not a nudes and lewd pictures.

Actual social media sites are pretty much this, regardless.

Players should be granted the ability to self moderate. They can choose what they wish to see.

12 minutes ago, Frezemis said:

Facebrowser moderation will never be IC. That's a firm no.

1 minute ago, Frezemis said:

This is not going to change despite how far the discussion goes. Moderators are OOC.

This reason continues to open a huge bag of issues with inconsistencies and continuity. When characters have seen a post, they might not necessarily be aware of a deletion or moderator actions towards that post. Unlike forum/in-game reports, there is simply zero way to communicate this to involved parties. This creates scenarios where characters witness posts, start roleplay interactions based on the post in DMs or perhaps in-game - and then that post disappears. What happens next?

Past response on this same subject:

Besides all this, there's one thing I want people reading this thread to consider. While it's possible to say Facebrowser moderation is OOC, does it even function the same compared to other forms of moderation like forum/faction reports? Social media is an entirely different scale.

With "normal" OOC moderation for IG rules/forum stuff, all the involved parties can be informed if a scene has been voided, if someone's been punished, or whatever the outcome is. With Facebrowser content, photos can be seen by 100s of people and spread around, and players have no way of discerning whether a Facebrowser moderator has deleted their post or if the user has self-deleted their post.

Characters may post something on Facebrowser, people could see it near when it gets posted, and then those characters may never notice it's been deleted say, 43 minutes later. Each of these characters could then bring up that Facebrowser content IG or in FB DMs and if it has been OOCly moderated, it would technically create a constant need to re-communicate that to potentially many players. In the case of forum reports or faction situations, these can be quickly and easily communicated to the involved parties. With Facebrowser moderation, it cannot, and due to this alongside other reasons, it should remain as largely in character as possible in order to improve the process.

There's a much wider range of issues to go into there surrounding things not being allowed to play out IC - such as a recent ban of a player for "trolling" in their portrayal of Islam - which granted there are already several Muslim characters on Facebrowser, could have been allowed to be played out and any criticism/response could remain IC.

9 minutes ago, Frezemis said:

I believe tackling the sexualizing posts with NSFW or removal if they are overly exposing would have tackled that and Facebrowser would be used as a social platform again. We don't censor drama, if it's been done you can bring it to my attention or Selena's attention.

The points Koko raised were relevant in the past but less of a thing nowadays, however they did lead to the site stagnating and that effect can definitely still be felt nowadays - a lot of posts currently are like how he describes.

Interested to see what the new rules are like but TL;DR - players can self-regulate, OOC moderation frequently creates a lot of grey areas for roleplay continuity and should be done less.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Selena locked this topic