A discussion regarding population

Anders

I'm not 100% sure why the debate has to be either "it's a ghost-town" or "there's an NPC on every street corner," making crime impossible except within the confines of a private dwelling? Can't the non-player population be implicit rather than explicit? It's stupid to say that Los Santos actually just has a population of just 600-2000, period. There's way too much infrastructure for that population size and, quite frankly, you wouldn't have such a concentration of culture, crime, industry, and commerce in what would amount to a small coastal hamlet. However, it is equally illogical and unimplementable to say that NPC "witnesses" can exist in-game. That sounds like a massive headache that would lead to almost every criminal act ending in OOC reports of lack-of-fear roleplay.

Some zones of the city would realistically be packed pretty much 24 hours a day (eg. most of the places that are already crime-restricted zones). That doesn't mean that crime would be impossible, it would just mean that someone would definitely call the cops on you if you committed a very overt crime out on the sidewalk. Beyond that, the rest of the population would be implied, but never really shown or interacted with. Given the rate of violent crime in Los Santos, it does make pretty good sense that a large swath of the population would keep to themselves for the most part. In my earlier post on this thread, I speculated that, based on the size and equivalent population density, Los Santos is likely to have a population of around 65,000 persons. This means that, on average, 1% (650 players) of the population is actively out and about. In reality, most people don't spend the majority of their day on the streets. Instead, they are at their place of work, at home making meals for themselves/watching TV/playing games/working out. So, I don't even think that percentage is absurdly low.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, peasoup said:

Why does this tiny town of ~1000ish have an airport?

Because we're an island of between 19,000-60,000 (as we established earlier)

With another two a few minutes away?

They are not commercial airports. 

Why does it have a shipping port?

We're an island.

Why does it have that many fire stations and police stations and government offices? 

It has too many, I agree. Mod the buildings, re purpose them at once! We need only one hospital and one PD building IMO.

Why does it have a bunch of different law enforcement agencies?

Yeah, probably could streamline it too but then our crime rate is the highest in the world.

Why is there a tiny desert in the middle of the island?

Previous over farming coupled with a high localized microclimate (like Gibraltar) and a rain shadow type situation from Mt Chiliad, Vinewood hills and the Mount Gordo mountain range?

- My (probably not very popular) solution to some of your questions.

I am on the side that we should treat this as an actual city. It just requires suspended too much disbelief to role play in an environment were you are in a city with sky scrapers but treat it like it only has a population of a couple of hundred. I think the best alternative I've heard to treating it like its full city is to treat it like if every character offline or online exist IG so I think that is around 100k. 100k makes sense for a city even that would be kind of low I can sort of wrap my head around that and you wouldn't feel too ridiculous role-playing that being the IG reality.

• 3 months later...

According to my experience, sometimes server has the feel of a small town. There are few things to do, few businesses open, and most venues are populated by the same people. The continuity team can do nothing about it. I simply enter and begin playing the game. As it stands, I barely have time to play the game. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you, whether you agree or disagree.